roman's bag - Q1 2012 edition

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

roman's bag - Q1 2012 edition

Postby roman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:42 pm

I'm at the typical 370-380 plateau with drives squeaking out to about 420-430 once in a while.

Overstable drivers
(2) 172 Z Predator - used and new - headwind driver, spike hyzers, skip shots, knife hyzers, big flex drives.

Distance Drivers
(1) 167 Star Wraith - distance hyzers over 350.
(2) 172 E Assassin - used and new - main D driver, standing drives, rollers, turnovers over 350.
(1) 175 JK Pro Valkyrie - sky rollers, drives that require less L-R movement than the Assassin

Control Drivers
(3) 174 DX Teebird - various stages of wear to cover stable control driver spots up to 350-360.

Mids
(1) 175 Z Buzz (newer) - stable midrange up to 300.
(2) 175 X Comet - used and new - straight/turnover drives, standing drives, touch upshots up to 300.

Putters
(2) 175 M Wizard - used and new - stable drives, upshots up to 250-270
(2) 172 M Magic - newer - touch upshots, straight/turnover drives up to 250-270.
(2) 172 OG Magic - putters

So far I'm happy with my setup and it's enough to get me through the day on most courses, however I am often finding myself in need of an overstable midrange or putter for those flex shots in the woods where I need to get around obstacles and still have a nice fade at the end to flex back. I have a few Pigs, but find them to be too overstable for that slot. I may give the Roc another chance. Any other suggestions? This would be used mostly in the 200-250ft range so a putter would be fine. I need something more overstable than a new Wizard.

edit - the only reason I'm dismissing the Roc for that slot is because I feel like I'm already comfortable with the Buzzz and Comet combo. Sure, I can cover all those slots with different Rocs, but it takes me too long to break in a Roc into that sweet spot, and it is always hard to replace when lost. I used to throw Rocs, but after losing a few of my beat Rocs one summer I switched to Comets and Buzzzes - if I lose those, I don't worry about it because I can just buy a new one and have the flight I'm looking for.
Last edited by roman on Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Re: My bag - need help filling a slot.

Postby keltik » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 pm

the Drone might suit you. It's not as long as most mids but it is a hog.

btw don't think you need both the Valk and the Assassin. just me being nitpicky.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby roman » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:41 pm

keltik wrote:the Drone might suit you. It's not as long as most mids but it is a hog.

btw don't think you need both the Valk and the Assassin. just me being nitpicky.

I've thrown the Drone a long time ago. I remember it being close to stability of a Pig, which is more overstable than I'd like. I'll borrow one of my friends and check it out.

The Assassins have replaced the Valkyries in my bag. The only reason I keep one is because the Valkyrie is a tad more HSS and that helps it to track straight longer on big sky rollers. If I throw the Assassin on the same roller line it will begin its turn a lot sooner (which is sometimes useful, but not so much for distance). I could adjust the angle that the Assassin lands on so it doesn't stand up as fast, but I don't always have the side to side room to do that. Really, there is a fine line between the two discs but it comes up often enough where I feel the need to keep at least one Valk in my bag.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby money 21 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:07 pm

a ringer might work.
Sole, Summit, ridge, vp, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, lace, olace, solace,
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Pwingles » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:47 am

what distance are you throwing this shot for the slot youre trying to fill? Is it possible to power down on you pred or TB? If those are too fast or require too much power for the D you are looking for, i agree the Drone is a good suggestion, Gator maybe, VP is also pretty overstable. Also maybe a xXx or its retarded cousin the trident might work for you IMO they are slower than a pred and a lot more piggy
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:18 am

Drone, Zone, Champ Rhyno or even a Z wasp can do what you are looking for. The Zone is a lot slower than a drone, but nearly as stable. Probably more workable though. I would start with the Z Wasp and work from there. If you thought a drone was too overstable, most gators will be as well. And then theres the demon, which is like a drone with less glide.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby roman » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:09 pm

Thanks for all the ideas, I'll try these discs out. I'm liking the Zone, Ringer, and Rhyno suggestions.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Re: roman's bag - late '11 edition.

Postby roman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:36 pm

It has been over 9 months, millions of babies conceived on the day I made this post are now out there shitting in diapers everywhere. Here's my bag as it stands now:

Overstable drivers
(1) 175 C-PD2 - when I want more distance into a big headwind, or when I want a skip shot that skips sideways (Predators skip forward).
(2) 172 Z Predator - used and new - headwind driver, spike hyzers, skip shots, knife hyzers, big flex drives, or the "I don't know what to throw, but I need it to go at least 350 feet on a rope before it starts to hyzer" disc.

Distance Drivers (380+ ft)
(1) 168 Echo Star Wraith - Stable distance driver
(1) 167 Star Wraith - Distance driver (a bit more beat than the echo, easier to shape lines with)
(2) 175 Star Valkyries - used and new - rollers, turnovers, finesse distance shots (if there is such a thing), hyzerflip tunnel shots, etc.

Control Drivers (300 -380 ft)
(3) 174-175 DX Teebird - various stages of wear to handle hyzers, hyzerflips, turnovers, rollers.

Mids (200-330 ft)
(2) 175 Z Buzz - used and new - stable mid range driver for lower ceiling shots, flex shots, line drives.
(1) 175 ESP Comet - used - finesse midrange throws, big hyzers, anhyzers, rollers, straight shots.
(1) 175 X Comet - used - hyzerflip drives, turnover drives, rollers, touch anhyzer

Putters (0-250 ft)
(2) 175 M Wizard - used and new - drives, upshots, trick putts when I need to get around an object then hyzer in the basket.
(2) 175 M Magic - main putters.

Discs in the bag that I'm trying out
(1) 175 Legacy Rampage - It's pretty damn fast. Hard to beat the control of the Wraith though.
(1) 175 Z Hornet - have been using it for the times when I need a stronger fade than the Buzzz can offer or for tight flex shots, but not sure if this is the disc for me. It reminds me a lot of the Ape - very high LSS but not enough HSS. When you throw it anhyzer, it has a hard time fighting back depending on the nose angle and/or wind. Hard to trust if you want it to pan out.

My max D for drivers currently is about 440 (Wraith), mids about 350 (Buzzz), putters about 300 (Wizard).
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Re: roman's bag - Q1 2012 edition.

Postby roman » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:18 pm

In case anyone reads these ;) This is more for my own record so I can look back at what I did and when.

Finally got some snap this past fall and after finding it and losing it a bunch, it seems to be more or less consistent now. Max D now is about 480. Haven't had too many nice days to really get out to a field and work on max D shots, but those that have gone far have gone about that far. Average is closer to 450. Had to throw a Destroyer in my bag as the Wraith is now a little less predictable.

Overstable drivers
(1) 175 C-PD2 - still trusty and reliable into a headwind. Will not flip. Used for max D headwind shots.
(1) 172 Z Predator - fresh and overstable. Very reliable. Used for controlled headwind drives.

Distance drivers (400+ft)
(1) 175 Echo Star Destroyer - poppy top nice and stable. Thrown hard it will stand up and turn a bit but always hyzer back.
(1) 175 Star Wraith - poppy top as well. Plenty stable but easier to turn than the Destroyer. I actually use the Wraith as a turnover/roller disc now, but I lost all my beat star Wraiths so this one is being worked in right now. Stll plenty stable and overlaps with the Destroyer a bit. Once it beats in it will have its spot again.
(1) 172 Star Valkyrie - used for hyzerflip/turnover drives out to past 400. Very controllable disc.
(1) 175 JK Pro Valkyrie - beat in for roller duties. Thrown hard and flat it will turn over and hit the ground rolling forever. Have gotten this thing out to just past 500.

Control Drivers (350-400ft)
(2) 172 Z Predators - one beat in straight with a nice fade, the other is more beat and has a nice turn to it with a straight finish. These kicked the Teebirds out of my bag.
(1) 175 X Predator - more beat in than the Z. Easy to turn and can be manipulated easier for right turning shots or in the woods.

Mids (230-340ft)
(1) HPP Demon - fast and overstable. Used for spikes, headwind shots or for shots where I want a harder finish than the Buzzz can provide.
(2) 175 Z Buzzz - one fresh one somewhat seasoned. Use one or the other depending on how much fade I want in the end.
(2) 175 ESP Comet - one fresh and stable, the other beat for hyzerflip/turnover duties.
(1) 175 X Comet - beat in for touch hyzerflip shots or turnover shots.

Driving Putters (0-250ft)
(2) 175 M Wizard - new and beat used for shorter drives and upshots.

Switched my putters to Wizards now too. The Magic was a great putter but got too touchy in the wind. Now have two identical 168 M Wizards that I use for putting and they're great.

As I beat the Destroyer in I will decide whether I will switch my bag to all Destroyers or if I will keep the Destroyer/Wraith combo. When both are new, the discs are very similar in stability but the Destroyer consistently goes farther. However, I remember how great my Wraiths were when they beat in. I used them for big hyzerflips, turnovers, rollers, and carving lines in the woods. Very trusty disc. If the Destroyer is able to get that understable, I guess I'll have no reason to throw the Wraith anymore. I can already tell the new Star Valks fly similar lines to what I used the beat Wraiths for, so... Might switch over to a Destroyer/Valkyrie combo. I'll figure out by spring time when the weather is nicer and I start playing more.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Re: roman's bag - Q1 2012 edition

Postby Whiz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:46 am

Nobody reads these.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Re: roman's bag - Q1 2012 edition

Postby roman » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Still upset we didn't get to play last weekend.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion