Consistant distance or potential?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Consistant distance or potential?

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Ive thrown champ orcs for my distance drivers for a while.
Ive gotten consistant an long with them. Lately Ive lost alittle of that consistancy while learning how to throw my cfr wraith.

heres my dillema, I only need one distance driver for this slot. The wraith has more potential, but isnt showing it as consistant yet. I get just alittle more distance with it, but on the average drive they are near equal.

Im confident that I can learn to throw the cfr wraith better than I am capable of throwing the orc, but it will take some time. I also plan on picking up a new cfr wraith in a lower weight if i ditch the orc. If I spend the time i took learning my orc with the wraith I should be as confident with it.

I think I answered my own question typing all that out, but any imput would be nice.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Goob The Noob » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:59 pm

Consistency and confidence are more important than distance. I'd rather know where my 350' drive is going than have a 400' miss.
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:00 pm

The Wraith is definately one of the new discs in my bag that I haven't really tamed yet.
I usually can max my throws at around 330'ish, and with a 171 Wraith I can stretch it out a lil further to almost 350'.... But it almost does something a little bit different each time.
I try to let it come out of my hand at a consistant angle with the same amount of force each throw, but its doin different things.

It either
1) takes off and starts to turn understable nearly the entire flight, hardly coming back overstable....
or
2) Takes off and holds a solid stable straight line for a while and gently glides back...

I like the wraith, but like you Im finding it harder to get consistant with it. And also like you I mainly throw 2 Champion Orcs for distance. I carry a 173 orc for when I dont want it to turn over understable in its flight,. and a 168 for when I want it to do a slighttttttt S turn and gain a lil extra D.
But as for the Wraith, Im having trouble. Sometimes I want it to just go Hard and straight, then glide overstable at the end, and it just isnt happening unless I throw it with a LOT of hyzer to make its flight path hyzer nearly the entire way.

But I feel ya. I shot a 2 round tourney saturday, 2 rounds of doubles on Sunday, and 3 rounds today in another citys course that has a LOT of open space, and 2 other guys had wraiths that we won from the Sat tournament....
they were having the same inconsistancy problems as me. So its not just you.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Blake_T » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:31 pm

every big arm i've seen is somewhat inconsistent with the wraith for accuracy but fairly consistent for d.

guessing you may have to start throwing it slightly anhyzer to get it to hold nose down as you might not have enough juice to get it "over the hump" and really hold from a hyzer or flat shot.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:58 pm

For me the pro wraiths are even more inconsistant than the cfr wraith, at least i know the cfr wraith will always come back at the end. My consistancy has been growing slowly with the cfr wraith as I learn what its ticks and peeves are and find it capable of so much more than my orc was. I plan on trading in my two champ orcs (172 newer 169 beat as a champ disc can be) and getting a lighter CFR or Star Wraith about 168. I plan on keeping the wraith as my only max d driver so i can really learn it
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:59 pm

I too am trying to work the wraith into my bag. It is the disc that I can throw the farthest right now, yet I wouldn't be able to tell you it's stability due to results. At first I thought it was an overstable driver. I can crunch it for straight results, but it has turned over for me.

I also see great potential in this disc if I can learn. BTW, if you try to muscle it, it doesn't work.

Have you tried an x avenger? I find the avenger to be wraithish (a bit shorter) but with more predictable results.

I still carry a wraith for wide open spaces.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:28 pm

I was accually on to ask about the avenger which i still plan on doing in another topic. I have thrown the Z avenger quite a bit, and have been liking it ok. Its not nearly as long as i would like (more in the range of a CE Eagle) Im sure the X would be a bit longer for me, yet the mold still wouldnt fell quite right in my hand.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Re: Consistant distance or potential?

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:24 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:Ive thrown champ orcs for my distance drivers for a while.
Ive gotten consistant an long with them. Lately Ive lost alittle of that consistancy while learning how to throw my cfr wraith.

If anything, the Wraith is the closest thing to the Orc. This is why i transistioned to it. Here is the deal yo... DX Wraith..... has the most flip to it, Pro.... slightly less, CFR.... small flip, Star... almost non existant when brand new.

Your most likely problem is that this disc is very much a Big Arm disc. You have to have speed and snap, no buts about it. It was a simple transition for me because i was flipping brand new Orcs, and the Wraith solved my problem. Granted, you get about 50ft+ over an Orc with the Wraith, but with practice, you will easily see that the Wraith has more potential as being a main staple driver for the pros in the years to come. With a tail wind i can easily get the disc to fly over 500 feet, and all with minimal s curve flight. Im simply waiting for the end of march to see if i can get a tail wind to send it flying to 600ft.

God bless having an open lake side course with winter/spring 20 MPH + winds! (Makes playing with a putter as your only disc both fun and challenging)
LastBoyScout

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:23 pm

Once you learn the wraith, it's a great disc. I still use avengers for more accuracy. But, I've gotten pretty predictable with my wraith as well. I know sometimes I jump from disc to disc without learning the previous one. I'm glad I stuck with the wraith.

At first, I was wishing for my wraith to fly like my avengers; now I wish my avengers would fly like my wraith. Finally learned the disc, I guess...
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Technique