DC Area must play?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DC Area must play?

Postby JHern » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:18 am

I'm out in the DC area for a week. Anything around here that is a "must play" in your opinion? Anything close to public transport (otherwise I'll have to rent a car)?
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Re: DC Area must play?

Postby Monocacy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:58 am

Seneca Creek State Park is about 7 miles from the Shady Grove Metro station in Gaithersburg, MD. Beautiful setting, 27 mostly-technical holes, short and long tees. I have met several people who found their way to Seneca during business trips to DC. Baskets are mostly in the short positions at the moment, so you might want to play long tees if you want more of a challenge (well, more of a challenge than hitting tight, wooded fairways).

If you rent a car and drive to Baltimore, I highly recommend Patapsco Valley State Park (especially the Green Monster course – long tees to C pins). You could spend a day playing the various permutations at Patapsco, with two tees and two permanent baskets on each hole. Rockburn Branch is another challenging course about 20-30 minutes from Patapsco.

I am headed to Patapsco in a few minutes to test out some new plastic. If you are around next weekend, let me know and I can try to show you one of the courses.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby discraft » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:36 am

When visiting DC I always play Seneca Creek.One of my favorites.
Regular Dude that likes DISCRAFT.

Force:Nuke:Avenger:Buzz:Meteor:Stratus:APX
discraft
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Meteor

Postby biscgolf » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:44 am

almost all of the top notch courses will require a vehicle and traffic is generally dreadful. i think calvert is actually close to the metro.

seneca, patapsco, giles run, and the spotsylvania courses (hawk hollow, the grange, loriella) are all worth the trip. senec and giles are considerably closer than the rest.
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Return to Courses