30th Philly Open

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby roadkill » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:15 pm

Usually there is only one division for field events. I can see having a women's division added to encourage more female participation but in the past overall events I've been to everyone competed against everyone else.

As far as distance goes, I think we all know who the contenders are and everyone else is out there to see what they can do. If Jake and Brinster are there it could be real intresting but who in our area can challenge them? Maybe Markus Kallstrom? I think distance gives you the chance to see if your actual distance is anywhere close to your message board distance.

The field events are mostly for fun. Usually the entry fees for field events are low and the payouts modest so I do them (as well as I believe others do) for the fun of it. However I do think I have a chance at mta and accuracy.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby bigs348 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:37 pm

Yeah, I want to do them just to see where I stack up. Things like accuracy and MTA I have never done. I've also never been officially measured for d, and would just like to see what I can do in a raw distance comp when I'm not worried about throwing to a basket or keeping it in the middle of the fairway.

If Jake and Brinster are there, that could be a good battle. Kallstrom can rip as well, and that would be cool to watch. Nick Schneider has got a pretty good arm, but I don't think his raw d is much above his golf d and he might be outclassed by those guys.

I hope Glen Patterson comes out. He's one of our local Ams. He's only been playing for about a year and a half but he's a former ultimate player as well as a former professional track and field athlete. His second time out, I saw him hit about 30' up in the tree next to 18's A pin at Tyler with the only disc he was using at the time, an Aero. He won the Master's distance comp at Am Worlds last year. He threw 480-something and that was on a pure hyzer line.

I played with him out at Brandywine at the Windjammer this year -- he was only throwing 30-40 feet farther than me on most holes, but his disc seriously took a third of the time to get there. I'd throw these high gliding s-curve shots, and he'd just throw a low line drive straight there and still outdistance me.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ericdmb » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:44 pm

I would like to do the D contest, but I really don't think I have any shot - maybe I will just come watch
www.bearclaws.org

"Life is short but sweet for certain"
ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:05 pm

Yeah Nick isn't anywhere near Jake or Stevie. I think Nick is probably about 7th or 8th just in our region. I know Bob Hoffman and Mark Spang from here in Lancaster would both dust Nick by a good 50' or so. Strojny would likely beat him also.

I really hope we get a good turnout. I can remember back in the days of Octad when we would get professional guts teams from Michigan, some top class freestylers and the big distance guns from our region back then : Randy Lahm and Jack Cooksey. What kind of sucked was when your guts team had to face Randy's! Nothing like a six foot six distance thrower doing a 360 turnaround throw at you from just 30' away, look out!
Last edited by roadkill on Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby lmf1030 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:12 am

roadkill wrote:Yeah Nick isn't anywhere near Jake or Stevie. I think Nick is probably about 7th or 8th just in our region. I know Bob Hoffman and Mark Spang from here in Lancaster would both dust Nick by a good 50' or so. Strojny would likely beat him also.

I really hope we get a good turnout. I can remember bad in the days of Octad when we would get professional guts teams from Michigan, some top class freestylers and the big distance guns from our region back then : Randy Lahm and Jack Cooksey. What kind of sucked was when your guts team had to face Randy's! Nothing like a six foot six distance thrower doing a 360 turnaround throw at you from just 30' away, look out!

Keep your Eye out on Nathan Krahn. For a brief time seeing him play he stepping up big.
Why Do I keep wacking Trees???

Disc for Sell Or Trade
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2381
lmf1030
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:15 pm

lmf1030 wrote:Keep your Eye out on Nathan Krahn. For a brief time seeing him play he stepping up big.

Yeah I've played with Nate. I've been very impressed with him. He's young and hasn't been playing long at all but you can see his potential if he keeps improving the way he has in the past year. He just started playing pro mid way through last season but I expect him to contend at a few events in open this year. Last fall I said to someone Nate looks to be the MADC's next Moser.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ericdmb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:52 pm

yea, i have seen him playing for the last year or so at sedgley and it seems he has been getting to more and more events since last summer and contending very well in the Pro division!

no matter - it will be my cannon of an arm beating all those guys!!!! :roll:
www.bearclaws.org

ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:55 pm

Bigs,
Talking about distance I thought it would be fun to rank the top big arms of the MADC (with VA thrown in since Va golfers frequent our events).
Here's my list of how I see them:

1. Jake Azato
1. Steve Brinster (A tie for now, Jake used to beat Stevie I'm not sure now since Jake hardly ever plays anymore)
3. Ron Turner
4. Markus Kallstrom (haven't seen him throw but I believe he's up there)
5. Jim Myers
6. Mark Spang
7. Bob Hoffman
8. Craig Gangloff
9. Brian Gawler
10.Brian Strojny
11. Mike Moser
12. Nick Schneider
13. Tom Kim

That's my top 13 big arms from our region the way I see it. Your friend Glen would probably be around 5 or 6 from what you told me. Care to place the order differently?
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ericdmb » Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:51 am

I was just checking out the pre-reg list and there are not a whole lot of players so far (32)
I figured this event would max out fairly quickly with it being a higher tier this year and the anniversery.....

no matter, I am on there and ready to go!
www.bearclaws.org

ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Postby lmf1030 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:07 am

I think it will be max out by the Last week of registration.
Why Do I keep wacking Trees???

Disc for Sell Or Trade
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2381
lmf1030
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:30 am

I think the two day format may hurt them. I know I prefer one day events. If you're traveling you either have to find a hotel or place to stay or commute back and forth and with the price of gas either option could seriously drive your costs up. For me I'm just not excited about investing $200 and my entire weekend to play competitive golf when a one day format could take care of my thirst for competition for around $80 and have Sunday to nurse my wounds before another workweek.

Another thing is we have many procrastinators (myself included) in our region. In addition Sedgeley has an enormous local following of ams and rec players. There will likely be 100 or more there sat morning with many looking to register the day of.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ericdmb » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:51 am

roadkill wrote:I think the two day format may hurt them. I know I prefer one day events. If you're traveling you either have to find a hotel or place to stay or commute back and forth and with the price of gas either option could seriously drive your costs up. For me I'm just not excited about investing $200 and my entire weekend to play competitive golf when a one day format could take care of my thirst for competition for around $80 and have Sunday to nurse my wounds before another workweek.

Another thing is we have many procrastinators (myself included) in our region. In addition Sedgeley has an enormous local following of ams and rec players. There will likely be 100 or more there sat morning with many looking to register the day of.

I think the 2 day event would not be a problem if it was full golf both days - with only 1 round of 27 each day, that could deter people from attending.

Also, I play Sedgley often and have a tag, I am well aware of that local following and also aware of the day of turnout - last year there were many people waiting to get into the event!

how is it going to cost you $200 to play the event? entry + lots and lots of beer?
www.bearclaws.org

ericdmb
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:16 am

My $200 estimate is directed towards someone that may live 2-3 hours away. As in $70 hotel bill for sat night + $45 gas/tolls + $50-60 entry fees + $35 worth of food.
(I know the golf entry is only $43 but I'm guessing they'll charge an extra $5 per field event unless that's included- which would be odd)

For me it will be cheaper (~ $100) because for one I'm only 1.5 hrs away and two my girlfriend lives 25 minutes from the course so I can crash at her pad.

There aren't as many overall events as there used to be so generally there are fewer discers that give a rat's rearend about the field events. Typically overall events have all golf one day and all other events the other day. This way the freestylers, DDCers, MTA and accuracy buffs can commit just one day if they're not golfers and the pure golfers could commit just one day if the field events weren't a priority. The current setup forces everyone to play both days. This was likely done on purpose so that more people would play the non-golf events.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby bigs348 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:20 am

It looks like it's $5 for each field event, and $15 for DDC.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ericdmb » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:52 am

my 15 minute ride to the course will be sweet on those mornings, can't wait!
I have offered to let a number of people stay at my apt. that are coming in to play, so I am doing my best to help the fellow disc golfer that weekend!

I have no chance in winning those field events - my plan is to save the $15 for the field events, buy a case of beer and some ice and sit there and watch others impress me while I drink beer!

I don't mind the setup of the event - I wish there was more golf (about 9 more holes per day) but overall, I think it will be good times. Golf in the morning - drink in the after noon while watching others in the field events and then drink saturdaynight at this players party! should be hella fun
www.bearclaws.org

ericdmb
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments