802.01 Clarification

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

802.01 Clarification

Postby Unity » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:04 am

I was recently reading section 802.01 of the rule book and came across two parts (B and F) that I would like clarification on.

802.01 B:
A disc which is cracked or perforated is illegal. See sections 802.01 D, E and F. A disc which is cracked during a round may be carried by the player, but not used, for the balance of the tournament. The player must immediately declare his intention to carry the newly cracked or broken disc to the group or be subject to penalty under 802.01 E.

What does "cracked" include? I'm wondering specifically about a certain Pro Destroyer that I have. I through it into a tree rather hard one day and now it has what I would call a gash in it. It is ~1 inch long and goes ~1/4 inch into the disc, starting from the edge of the rim. Isn't this rule intended for a cracked flight plate in the middle of a disc?

Anyways, the main point of this post was for section F which reads:
All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness. A player shall receive a warning for the first instance of throwing an unmarked disc if observed by two or more players of the group or an official. After the warning has been given, each subsequent throw by the player with an unmarked disc shall incur one penalty throw if observed by two or more players of the group or an official.

I guess I'm wondering two things. First, why or for what purpose? Second, what satisfies the condition of "uniquely marked"? Do the different hot stamps for each disc make them unique? Do you have to write your name/PDGA or something on them? If somebody dyes them (and removes the stamp in the process) are they uniquely marked? Since I don't write my name/info on any of my discs, am I violating this rule? Since I putt/approach with non-stamped Ions am I violating this rule? I understand the need to know if it is a PDGA approved mold or not, but it doesn't seem like this rule guarantees that, while at the same time giving room for somebody to stroke another player over something very petty.
[Ion] [Zone] [Fuse] [Buzzz] [XXX] [PD] [Destroyer]
Unity
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: 802.01 Clarification

Postby Smigles » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:24 am

Unity wrote:I guess I'm wondering two things. First, why or for what purpose? Second, what satisfies the condition of "uniquely marked"? Do the different hot stamps for each disc make them unique? Do you have to write your name/PDGA or something on them? If somebody dyes them (and removes the stamp in the process) are they uniquely marked? Since I don't write my name/info on any of my discs, am I violating this rule? Since I putt/approach with non-stamped Ions am I violating this rule? I understand the need to know if it is a PDGA approved mold or not, but it doesn't seem like this rule guarantees that, while at the same time giving room for somebody to stroke another player over something very petty.

I think it is to avoid having unnamed discs lying around, which could lead to people claiming that it was their disc / not their disc etc. I think "uniquely marked" means anything which clearly shows that it is your disc. You can write your name in it, or draw a sign on them or something. If you dont use your name, i think you should announce to the flight how your discs are marked before the round ( as in "hey guys, all my discs will be the ones with the pink elphant ears painted on them" ). Just as you can use different things as your marker as long as you announce it to the flight before the round.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby curt » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:02 am

As far as your gouged destroyer goes: if the "gouge/crack" goes all the way through the plastic, then the disc is illegal. If it does not, you are good to go.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Unity » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:46 am

curt wrote:As far as your gouged destroyer goes: if the "gouge/crack" goes all the way through the plastic, then the disc is illegal. If it does not, you are good to go.

It goes all the way through, but it's on the rim/wing, not the flight plate. It looks like somebody pushed a knife into it from outside edge into the disc.
[Ion] [Zone] [Fuse] [Buzzz] [XXX] [PD] [Destroyer]
Unity
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Jaysus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Unity wrote: Since I don't write my name/info on any of my discs, am I violating this rule?

Yes.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Rules Discussion