Course reviews?

Comments, Questions, Requests, or Suggestions relating to discgolfreview.com

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Course reviews?

Postby adidadg » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:46 am

Hi Blake, have you ever given any thought to adding a section for DG Course reviews? Does anybody know of any sites that already have this type of thing?
adidadg

Postby mothrows » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:18 pm

playdg.com is really good although the courses are pretty much in one region.
mothrows
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Z Flick

Postby Smyith » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:23 pm

www.pdga.com
http://www.pdga.com/course/eval/index.php
playdg.com

these are all really good ones.

idk if there are really enough people on this forum to really need the use of a course review section.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby calvarycoffee » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:52 am

i was just thinking the same question.

for those of us that travel and play DG, that would be great.

i would enjoy knowing a little about my destination before i get there.

one time i traveled to forest city IA to play that course, only to find out that there were no tees or maps of the course (only baskets). i was so hot, i packed it up and drove back home. it would have been nice to have known about the NO TEES before driving an hour to get there.

a review might have had help with deciphering tee locations also. . .

dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby daevidcardiac » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:07 am

hey...my favorite course is #5 on the pgda, i guess there arent that many ranked at this point
yuk
daevidcardiac
Noob

Postby kvanorsdel » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:28 am

Discgolf.com has the best overall course reviews I have found. http://www.discgolf.com/component/option,com_mtree/task,viewlink/link_id,8/Itemid,101/
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

yes

Postby soaresjo » Sun May 21, 2006 4:27 pm

yea this is an idea I have had as well. I think it would be awesome and help out a lot of players looking to play new courses.

-john
The Shark Loves Free Slurpees!
soaresjo
Noob

Postby calvarycoffee » Mon May 22, 2006 10:56 am

thanks kvanorsdel

that IS good site. . .

dave
Do not resist chances. . . and there will be one less thing you cannot do -ACG
calvarycoffee
Tree Magnet

Postby Torg » Mon May 22, 2006 11:26 am

For those in the areas covered http://www.playdg.com/ has by far the best course reviews and overviews.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Mon May 22, 2006 7:27 pm

i've been asked many times to add a course review section to the site, but honestly, it's too much work although it would be a huge traffic draw.

if someone volunteered to run it, i would consider it, possibly on a subdomain, e.g. courses.discgolfreview.com

i have added a courses section to the message board.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby presidio hills » Mon May 22, 2006 10:28 pm

i hope that in the future people will take it upon themselves to bring a camera and shoot every course they can in their area and beyond then build a website and link to many other folks doing the same thing. i think that will be the best scenario for the future of disc golf getting the most and best course reviews out to the public.
when i get a digital camera (some day) i'll probably nerd out for a while and get my region (stafford lake, golden gate park, berkeley, napa, de la veaga, vacaville, lakeport). i'd like to think i live in the vicinety of some GREAT courses... but i haven't travelled around enough at all to claim anything... have many of us? all i know is de la veaga is highly regarded and honestly, there's a bunch more courses in area i like just as much (stafford, monterey, lakeport, and napa are all just as great... just different).
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby lacrimosa » Mon May 22, 2006 11:59 pm

presidio: what was your impression of lakeport? is it heavily wooded? I'm thinking about playing the upcoming steady ed tourney...
lacrimosa
Noob

Postby Torg » Tue May 23, 2006 9:35 am

presidio hills
Did you click the link I provided? That is exactly what they do. They tell you how to do the submissions also. Their website is growing slowly but steadily and really the PDGA would do well to look and follow that format IMO as they do the ratings for courses.
Torg
Tree Magnet

website

Postby jist313 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:41 pm

This site has helped me seek out new courses.
http://www.geocities.com/the_lung/discgolf.htm
jist313
Noob

Postby black udder » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:35 pm

Presidio - I'll tell ya what - I have a digital camera and it's a pain in the ass to photo a course. You gotta either walk the course without playing -- uh... not gonna happen -- or you have to lug the camera around while you're playing and taking shots while you play (distracting).

Then, you have to face it that many holes just don't work for camera shots on the ground. You have a dogleg or an uphill shot with lots of trees or something, and you can't see the hole. You can take multiple shots, but then it takes awhile to figure them all out when you get back.

Can't recommend enough walking the course from #1 on out and not mixing up holes!

Make sure you have a spare set of batteries (or an extra) or that you've at least just charged it. I took the camera out one time and the batteries died about 1/4 way round the course -- this would be on the opposite side of the world from the car where I could dump the camera.

Make sure you don't go out near dusk (doh!) Courses that are heavily wooded might require a flash as the sunlight doesn't get down through the trees.

Lots to think about, but on the whole, I think it's worth it. Oh, don't forget you have long and short tees too sometimes! :)
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Next

Return to Website Comments