PDGA Global DG Championship 2011

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

PDGA Global DG Championship 2011

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:41 am

Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Re: PDGA Global DG Championship 2011

Postby tistoude » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:30 am

Chuck, this is a great idea. I think maybe the actually finishing places might be a little subjective but I have faith that your mathmatical skills and some accurate SSA's will get it pretty close. I love the overall plan and I am looking forward to participating. Hopefully I can convince J. Gary to host a participating Pittsburgh tournament that weekend.

Tim Stouden
tistoude
Noob

Favorite Disc: VooDoo

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:53 am

J Gary and I already talked about this event. Since you have the NT coming up the following week, we were thinking maybe the WV guys in Morgantown/Fairmont might be a better location relatively nearby unless you could find a TD in the Pittsburgh area who wasn't involved with the NT willing to do one there.

I'm hoping people will be surprised at how well this event will work and the fairness in the ratings process when three rounds are played on the same course by the same players. The SSAs at Knob Hill since 1999 are some of the most stable from year to year even with a different player pool producing them at events each year.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jnecessary » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 am

Discussion on this topic is heated at the IowaDG forums, too bad DGR pretty much ignores the tournament section of the forums :/
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby mobster » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:39 pm

jnecessary wrote:Discussion on this topic is heated at the IowaDG forums, too bad DGR pretty much ignores the tournament section of the forums :/

What are the negatives about this event?
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby peppermack » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:23 am

Well, Being in Morgantown I am down for this. It sounds awesome.
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:44 am

I see no mention of Open field. Is that supposedly just a given, or is it just for AM players. I am finally renewing my pdga membership this coming year and have been unsure if I was going to play a couple ADV tourneys, or just play open (as CO doesn't tend to have the higher caliber AM1 players, they all move up too early.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:59 am

All eight or so pro divisions included in this first event plus Advanced, Intermediate, Adv Women and Av Masters. We already have more events planned to include other divisions in the future. Could be the biggest Open field in history. Conservatively, with 20 events and 15 Open per event that's 300. But we think maybe 30 events with 15-18 Open players per event so around 500 possible.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smyith » Tue Nov 23, 2010 3:51 pm

i gotta say that i think this event is dumb. conditions arent the same across the globe at any given time, yet everyone is going to be held to that assumption. its very gimmicky and could definitely have the potential to raise alot of money. things like this are what make me not want to renew my membership, by NO means is this doing anything to grow the sport in the way the majority of members want. take the same money and effort this is going to take and get us some national tv coverage or something of the like. these gimmicky tournaments will not make it out of the community that already exists.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:27 pm

Certainly a minority and uninformed point of view. But then, the ratings still seem mysterious to many even though it's just your score turned into a more precise value for how you threw that round. The value of the ratings is that they completely account for the different conditions in each round on each different type of course. That's why ratings will be used and not scores because scores would not be fair. Not only that, the ratings work even better than scores in certain situations where players compete at the same event.

There are several big events each year where some divisions have multiple pools and play different courses at different times under different conditions. Or, a giant division plays the same course at different times under different conditions during the day. The conditions can easily be 2-4 throws tougher for a third to half of a pool in a division than others in a round. For some reason, we seem to think this is okay and use an excuse like, "Well, that's just how it goes. Sometimes you get the breaks and sometimes you don't but it all evens out."

Well, these unequal conditions that happen all of the time at our highest level events are significantly reduced when round ratings are used in place of scores. The global event will have more of a level playing field than any multiple pool or tee time start event because the true value of the scores as turned into ratings will be dynamically generated based on the actual course conditions each round. We already have 6 sites committed and another 10 working out their plans to jump on board. We haven't even had time to start talking to the potential International sites but a few have already asked for information. It's going to be big and a view of future big scale compeitions.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby biscgolf » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 pm

i am considering running one of these... invitational with me and my 9 best buds, some of whom are rated 1020 plus... i foresee me shooting the round of my life while they all play like crap. i would then have the highest rated round in pdga history and we would all have 1/10 of the global payout.

imo the overrated euro players will have the best shot at taking this thing.

while the ratings system is (questionably) sufficient for it's current purposes- it isn't sound enough for something like this...
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:49 pm

Already taken care of. We'll be statistically calculating odds of event scoring/rating distributions and flush out any blatant cheating and just remove that event from the global pool.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JHern » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:00 am

I back Chuck on this, what he is doing seems very robust.

Quit blaming the messenger, dudes.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby inthedrift » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:39 pm

JHern wrote:I back Chuck on this, what he is doing seems very robust.

Quit blaming the messenger, dudes.

I agree.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:07 pm

Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Tournaments