Grip question, specifically 'ball of thumb'

A spot where people can post questions on the Instructional Articles from the site.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip question, specifically 'ball of thumb'

Postby BradC » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:44 pm

In the "disc golf technique troubleshooter", under backhand drives is "I seem to be losing power and I don't know why". One suggestion is grip issues, specifically thumb pressure.

In this write up lies the following:

DGR wrote:A solid, strong grip will have pressure between the index finger and the ball of your thumb or lower (between the ball of the thumb and the joint). A common grip problem is applying thumb pressure with the very tip of the thumb. Not only is this grip weaker but it also causes the pressure to be applied at an angle that will effect the disc orientation at the release. The end result is a dipping of the back and outter edges of the disc resulting in a nose up release at a hyzer angle. Since a nose down throw is required for maximum distance and glide, this problem can have adverse affects on your distance and accuracy. Changing your thumb pressure to having your thumb more flat and pressure from the ball of your thumb or lower should help to achieve a nose down release on your desired angle.

Will somebody please help me understand the anatomy here?

The most distal part of the thumb (from the palm) inward would be; tip of thumb, pad of thumb, joint, not sure what to call this part, joint, meat at base of thumb.

Where does the 'ball' lie? I'm getting some nose angle issues that I never used to have, and am having issues ridding myself of it. This thumb pressure idea makes sense to me, but I just want to be clear as to where on my thumb I am generating the pressure.
BradC
Noob

Re: Grip question, specifically 'ball of thumb'

Postby Star Shark » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:03 pm

General rule of thumb :P

You want there to be a pinch between the tip of your thumb and your index finger through the flight plate.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby BradC » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:20 am

Star Shark wrote:General rule of thumb :P

You want there to be a pinch between the tip of your thumb and your index finger through the flight plate.

Rule of thumb :lol: Now I have Boondock Saints stuck in my head.

Your description is what I have been doing, but the article made me think this was incorrect....
BradC
Noob

Postby Wyno » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:53 am

Ball of thumb = pad of thumb.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby Star Shark » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:29 pm

BradC wrote:
Star Shark wrote:General rule of thumb :P

Rule of thumb :lol: Now I have Boondock Saints stuck in my head.

Your description is what I have been doing, but the article made me think this was incorrect....

Good explanation of grips here -

-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby discinboogs » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:02 am

YEAH DAVE! Dave knows what he's talkin about.
discinboogs
Noob

Favorite Disc: The Force

Postby Lithicon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:31 am

It's been a long time since I've watched that video, and can't remember what he explains there. But, essentially look at your thumb. Go from the tip of your thumb to the first knuckle. Between there is the ball of your thumb, keep the pad flat on the disc and you're good to go.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Return to Questions About Articles on Disc Golf Review