Vegan Ray's next opponent?

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Vegan Ray's next opponent?

Postby EL-KABONG! » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:36 pm

Saw the pepper eating contests on youtube,...can't remember if this one was one of the ones they ate

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookou ... trip-paint
EL-KABONG!
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: SWORD

Re: Vegan Ray's next opponent?

Postby lokirising » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm not sure about the pepper eating thing, but man, could that guy whine. :lol:
You lost! You get nothing! Good day, sir!

-Willy Wonka
lokirising
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Pro-D Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:13 am

awesome. A local burrito joint here has been messing with ghost chillies in a couple sauces that I LOVE, I assume he already knows about these. I love myself some hot peppers.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Jsw » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:07 am

Small pointless rant here...(Abbreviated version at the bottom)

I find people who are unusually obsessed with super hot peppers to be really obnoxious. I'm not talking about people who enjoy spicy foods. Or even people who grow their own peppers and enjoy a good hot pepper. I'm talking about people who literally seem to find their identity through eating pointlessly hot shit.

Background : I worked in distribution & sales for a food company for a while, which happened to carry a few Wasabi and Habanero options. Which most people just wanted to be educated about and move on. But every so often I would run into these fucking pepper-geeks that would go on and on about the various obscure and super hot peppers they eat with their pants down. It usually started off by me saying "well these are pretty hot, so just be mindful"(you know, a generic common courtesy I would say to everyone since believe it or not, a lot of people don't even know wtf Wasabi is and I don't want to surprise them). Which said "pepper geeks" would somehow interpret as me personally challenging their very identity or trying to pull their man card.

"Oh I'll be fine, trust me *shitty smart ass grin* ...Like omg I eat this rare New Mexico ridge-pepper of the Ghost family, what, you haven't heard of it?!?, its 465 times hotter than the Arizona desert dingbat pepper which is 200 times hotter than Habanero*Smug eye roll*". Then they would go on and on about the various obscure hybrids and shit they ordered on the intrawebs or from some brother in law they had growing them in his basement in Tucson because they are illegal in 12 different states. While I had to feign interest and and keep myself from putting sharp objects in my eyes.

I know this rant is more ridiculous than said people, but having worked in that niche of the industry and having absolute indifference to peppers(above say, enjoying one and never feeling the need to discuss it afterwards) made me despise these people. To the point where if you forced me to go to a chili festival and I had to hear the conversations that take place between pale middle aged white guys with long hair and velcro sandals, I'd probably be shooting them with something belt-fed from my hip after about 4 minutes. :evil:

TL:DR Fuck your stupid ghost chili, nobody cares.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Eric O » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:56 am

nice rant :D
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:28 pm

That really was a cool story bro.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby biscgolf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:38 am

Jsw wrote: I worked in distribution & sales for a food company for a while, .

i find people in sales to be really obnoxious... :twisted:
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Postby biscgolf » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:44 am

now for an obnoxious pepper-obsessed discourse on the naga viper...
the brits have been trying to breed a hotter than bhut jolokia pepper for a bit now- they thought they had one isolated a few months ago but it hasn't been heard of since so i'm guessing they couldn't stabilize the strain. this is likely to be the case with the naga viper as well. while they have obviously bred a specimen (or a few) with added heat it takes more than a few to call it an actual strain rather than a mutated jolokia hybrid. in general new strains of pepper are more likely to be found in the wild than to be bred up from something else.
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Postby Jerrod » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:37 pm

I thought Jsw was exaggerating till I read your post.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby Leopard » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:31 am

Jsw wrote:I'm talking about people who literally seem to find their identity through eating pointlessly hot shit.

it does seem like giant douchebags like to define themselves with this kind of thing
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby JR » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:02 am

Leopard wrote:
Jsw wrote:I'm talking about people who literally seem to find their identity through eating pointlessly hot shit.

it does seem like giant douchebags like to define themselves with this kind of thing

There is another explanation that might seem familiar to DGR members: Insider thing doing extreme sports done to extreme measures just like us DGR memebers here on anything DG :-) Few hobbies seem rational -it's just throwing a piece of plastic to metal after all. Nothing to get exited about. Or is it? 8) You gotta get it to enjoy it. I'm really not in it for the endorphin rush. Taste and a little bit of sportiness by pushing the limits and experiencing new things.

I agree about valuing oneself based one one ability is pretty vain and pointless.

This is coming from someone who enjoys hot chilies every now and then as long as the stomach doesn't get too upset. I'm not into losing sight and hearing even temporarily or having a locomotive breath, puking and diarrhea from eating super hot chilies raw. Or worse yet processed artificially hot sauces. Not to mention what happens then. So i'm not into the hottest stuff so far 550 000 Scoville powder in the recommended by me Blair's Death Rain Nitro is the hottest stuff i've used and i've not had it as such. And have no plans to. It tastes good but kicks like a mule if used to beyond your tolerance. That's pretty stiff compared to the hottest jalapenos clocking in at 5000 SHUs.

A funny description of one of the hotter sauces was that make sure there is a river nearby if you eat it outdoors so that you won't be charged with starting a forest fire :-D I'd think that pollution laws are still a problem for Blair's AM series consumers.

How would we seem to a run of the mill salesman asking for how many rings does that stamp have and what the PLH and dome heights are?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Leopard » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:28 pm

whul yeah, i nerd out on several fronts but i don't feel defined by them.. i can meet people and not bring these things up. it's pretty common to go shopping for something you nerd on, only to find that you know more than the salesperson. only a giant douchebag then feels the need to nerd all over their face while they're doing their job. i've never been out-nerded at work but people try, and it's like 95% giant douchebags who pull that move.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby emiller3 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:49 pm

I used to look down on nerds with large Lego collections, or guys who went to see the Lord of the Rings movies dressed up as Frodo, stuff like that. Being a DG addict has cured me of that. Judging by the look on people's faces when I tell them what disc golf is and how much time and resources I put into it, I'm pretty sure I'm every bit as nerdy as the next guy.

But Leopard has a good point, once you realize you are WAY more into a hobby than the person you're talking to is, normal people just clam up and move on.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby T-Bird » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:25 pm

Jsw wrote: I find people who are unusually obsessed with super hot peppers to be really obnoxious. ... I'm talking about people who literally seem to find their identity through eating pointlessly hot shit. blah, blah, blah...

Spoken like a true whiny-ass hot pepper wimp.
Man up and bite the hot one or GTFO.
I don't need to fight to prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven yeah,yeah,yeah,yeah,yeah
T-Bird
Noob

Favorite Disc: Total Deucebag

Postby JR » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:25 pm

"... bite the hot one..." ROTFL that's signature quality :mrgreen:
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.