Gaming Headsets

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Gaming Headsets

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 pm

anyone else out there a big enough nerd that they plunked down a pile of cash for one of these?
I recently did a trial run (buying and returning at Best Buy) with both the Tritton AX 720 and the Turtle Beach DX11 (both retail for 129.99 at BB, both are wired, both run simulated surround, 5.1 and 7.1 respectively)
here are my observations on these 2 products

Turtle Beach DX11
Pros:
Easily wins the comfort battle, you hardly feel them on your head
In general you are able to pick out separate sounds and their directions/distances MUCH BETTER with this set over the AX 720
Dolby decoder box can support any set of headphones (the ax 720 uses a proprietary setup :| )
Separate control for bass level
Analog input

Cons:
Feels easier to break than the Trittons
Sound is a little less rich than competing sets
Mic has a stupid foam cover(i hate these)
without some adapter trickery this set cant be used for chat on the PS3

Tritton AX 720
Pros:
Richer sound than the DX11
Works with both the PS3 and 360 with relative ease
bass is a bit fuller on this set
Decoder box is a bit more attractive
feels solidly built
removable mic

Cons:
HEAVY and uncomfortable on your head/ears, you definitely know you have something on your head and the ear cups were too small to get my whole ear into without putting some stress on them :|
finer sounds (the ones you want to hear.....footsteps etc.) tend to get lost in the heap of other stuff (gunfire etc.) whereas with the TB set they are MUCH easier to pick out
Mic is barely adjustable
Bass is too heavy on some games and you have no way of adjusting this
inline control dongle is HUGE and heavy, putting further weight pulling on your head......its no problem at first but somewhere north of an hour you head gets weary of this set

overall i went with the DX11, their sound staging and comfort level were just too far ahead of the Trittons, its too bad as i thought the sound quality on the Trittons was great. Ive been REALLY happy with my Turtle Beach set so far, they have netted me countless kills from hearing enemies early and being ready when they pop around the corner
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: Gaming Headsets

Postby Jsw » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:44 pm

I just picked up a gaming headset for my PC. Its a Razor something-or-another in the $70 range. Big improvement over my $20 logitec that it replaced(I rolled over the logitecs' cord with my chair and it was never the same afterwards).

Its a little heavy but the quality is good and the cord is a lot more durable(almost feels/looks like a shoe lace). So if you want something decent that isn't super pricey, they are good stuff. Sold at BB.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:14 pm

I tried the WoW wireless one and I was very impressed with the sound quality and comfort. Then I realized I just dropped $160 on a headset and promptly returned it.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:00 pm

yeah it is a bit of an investment but i play late night all the time with my GF sleeping right on the other side of the wall (not the best time to bump the Bose system) so it has been instantly worth it for me
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby BLURR » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:19 pm

I've had my Turtle Beach headset for close to 3 years now. Have had no issues with them whatsoever. And if you play any of the Call of Duty's...these things make it seem like cheating when you are wearing them. Nobody's footsteps can hide from these things.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:46 pm

I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:41 pm

I got the turtle beach one the other day. I'm switching to more 360 games since me and my rag tag band of friends are getting tired of party/network problems on ps3 games. Well my ps3 is hooked up to one of my hd monitors of my computer (run dual screens). I wanted yo run the 360 to it too but don't want to deal with the extra wiring for the sound into my separate system so I went ahead and splurged on the turtle beach one.
Well christmas gift from the girlfriend.

Ive only played once with it but I like it. It's pretty light, the ear pieces don't touch your ears which is a plus. I wear headphones all day at work and having ones that rest on your actual ear start to get irritating after a while. I like the fact that I've got a mic control and a game volume control right there next to each other. My friends said it wad pretty clear last night so it seems good on their end.
I've got another pair for my computer gaming for vent and stuff, and they're pretty awesome. I could of probably gotten a mic adapter to use it for the 360 but oh well.

I don't have the wireless turtle beach one, it's the $69 one. Like it so far.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:21 pm

AciDBatH666 wrote:I got the turtle beach one the other day. I'm switching to more 360 games since me and my rag tag band of friends are getting tired of party/network problems on ps3 games. Well my ps3 is hooked up to one of my hd monitors of my computer (run dual screens). I wanted yo run the 360 to it too but don't want to deal with the extra wiring for the sound into my separate system so I went ahead and splurged on the turtle beach one.
Well christmas gift from the girlfriend.

Ive only played once with it but I like it. It's pretty light, the ear pieces don't touch your ears which is a plus. I wear headphones all day at work and having ones that rest on your actual ear start to get irritating after a while. I like the fact that I've got a mic control and a game volume control right there next to each other. My friends said it wad pretty clear last night so it seems good on their end.
I've got another pair for my computer gaming for vent and stuff, and they're pretty awesome. I could of probably gotten a mic adapter to use it for the 360 but oh well.

I don't have the wireless turtle beach one, it's the $69 one. Like it so far.
those are the X11, same headset as my setup just missing the Dolby DSS box ( which you can get separately at a later date).........id say splurge on the DSS when you can, totally worth it
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby jnecessary » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:45 am

I have the Tritton 720's. I have never compared them to anything else, and glad I haven't now that you mention the TBs are better for soundwhoring. Black OPs footsteps are so light now that it really doesn't do much good, I can hear them, just not well directionally.

I tried to play MW2 the other night for laughs and remember how easy it was to hear footsteps in that game, almost unfair with a good headset! But I was immediately reminded of everything I hate in that game. Insta death with every weapon, 10 meter lunges with commando and explosives spam, not to mention the no recoil ARs that kill in .1 seconds from across the maps. /rant off.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:30 am

jnecessary wrote:I have the Tritton 720's. I have never compared them to anything else, and glad I haven't now that you mention the TBs are better for soundwhoring. Black OPs footsteps are so light now that it really doesn't do much good, I can hear them, just not well directionally.

I tried to play MW2 the other night for laughs and remember how easy it was to hear footsteps in that game, almost unfair with a good headset! But I was immediately reminded of everything I hate in that game. Insta death with every weapon, 10 meter lunges with commando and explosives spam, not to mention the no recoil ARs that kill in .1 seconds from across the maps. /rant off.

i can pick out a black ops footstep from a good 60/80 feet :P
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby Pwingles » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:09 am

Turtles ftw, not even close
I love mine, im in a similar spot with the gf sleeping in the bedroom and my office is next to that so late at night its the only option really, but i use them 90% of the time anyway unless im playing something thats not multiplayer (unless its madden)
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Smigles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:31 am

I have the sennheiser pc 151, great headset.

Good sound quality, realy fluffy ear thingies that dont hurt even after 12 hours of use, light weigth, good mic, hold for ages. I have mine for i think 5+ years.

http://www.boyntontech.net/images/Sennh ... $41.99.jpg
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby jnecessary » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:39 pm

Selling my Tritton ax720s in the garage sale thread if anyone is interested. They are very good headphones/amp. I will post my thoughts compared to the mixamp/turtle beach HPX setup that I have on the way once I get to try them out
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Parks » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:23 am

I use Sony MDR-V6's as headphones. They are fantastic quality sound and a gold standard in studios, but the reason I use them is because they are by far the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. If you ever have long gaming sessions, these are some of the best headphones you can get. They will run you about 60-70 bucks, but last a long time.

For a mic, I just use the cheapest headset (like 7 bucks with shipping) I can find on eBay and wrap it around my neck so the mic is in the right place. Obviously, only plug in the mic line. If this one broke, the next one I buy would probably be one of those ones that just clips onto your shirt for simplicity.

This is my PC setup. If I was doing any online console gaming then I would probably buy a nice wireless headset.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jnecessary » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:56 pm

The Astro Mixamp + Turtle Beach HPX are definitely an upgrade to the Tritton ax720 setup. It wasn't as much of an upgrade as I hoped, but I can say for sure that the HPX paired with Mixamp is a bit lighter a bit more comfortable and also has a bit better sound staging for determining the direction and distance of footsteps/explosions/gunshots in FPS games.
--My PDGA--My Trade List
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.