QJLS???

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: QJLS???

Postby discspeed » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:59 pm

I've been throwing a lot of JLS/QJs lately and I'm really liking them in my fairway slot. I really like the MJLS...It goes far and straight on a low line with very little effort, powers down well, and bombs on long hyzer flips and annies. I've been having a tougher time deciding on what QJ to put in my bag (and I've lost two already in the search). I'm finding the domier QJs to fly a lot like Leopards, which for me is not a good thing. I'm preferring some somewhat older flat QJs. In zero wind they are a little less stable than the domey newer runs, but in a little wind they hold their stability better than the domey ones. I'm probably going to keep one of the flat Qs in the bag to go with my M rotation. My M is not very durable though...It's already taken damage I've never seen in my P-PDs. I like the way it flies, but I'll be pickier when choosing my next one.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby money 21 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:42 pm

has anyone thrown the sjls much. I have a brand new first run sitting in the closet. I haven't been throwing the JLS since i started throwing he XS.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Steady 26542 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:25 pm

money 21 wrote:has anyone thrown the sjls much. I have a brand new first run sitting in the closet. I haven't been throwing the JLS since i started throwing he XS.

I threw the SJ for a while but I prefer the QJ as it's straighter for me. Plus, I just like the feel of the Q plastic. I use it as a fairway driver and I throw the older flatter ones. They are dead straight for me. I use them for 275' - 300'. The new QJ's are much more stable. I've been beating up a 150g and it's still more stable than my older 165g.
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby discspeed » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:54 am

After spending a couple of weeks seriously testing out QJs and MJs I've decided on what I'm going to carry. I'm using a rotation of MJs for the stable to understable duties and a QJ for more fade or mild wind. I'm using a flat QJ from about 5 years back, and I've got a couple backups of this type. The newer QJs are OK, but are still a little domey for me. IMO, a JLS should not be high shouldered and domey (I feel the same about Leopards). These feel funny and fly super slow. MJs and flat QJs REALLY fly like longer Buzzzes imo, more so than any other driver, but the domey ones don't...They're more like Comets. The flat QJs don't glide nearly as well as the Ms, but that is a good thing in terms of wind and predictable fade, and they still glide fairly well for a premium fairway driver. I tested the CE type QJ as well, and it was too long! That older QJ is almost a distance driver compared to the others. I liked it a lot, but not enough to worry about locating them (even though we have several at the store). Clear and flat QJs are still easy to find and cheap. Hopefully they will run flatter ones again sometime in the future...
discspeed

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:19 pm

I love these threads :)
QJLS is my go to disc most of the time. Almost got an ACE the other day with it. I didn't throw much of the MJLS's, and the Sirius plastic line is not my bag of tea. I'm a sucker for Q. (All my QJLS are the CE plastic)
Glad you are liking the JLS. It is a great disc.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby discspeed » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:13 pm

In the past 2 years I've ran the gauntlet searching for a fairway driver that really fit in with my game and the rest of my discs. After trying the LS, Stalker, River, and Cyclone I've been really surprised by how the JLS/QJ just blows those others away for me. The funny thing is, the QJ that is my favorite of all my JLSs was in my bag 4-5 years ago. It's flat and flies EXACTLY like a longer Buzzz. I've been using it on more open holes and in a little wind and then using my MJs in the woods and when it is calm. These are flying on hyzer, straight, helix, and anny lines for me.
discspeed

Postby Fritz » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:40 pm

discspeed wrote:In the past 2 years I've ran the gauntlet searching for a fairway driver that really fit in with my game and the rest of my discs. After trying the LS, Stalker, River, and Cyclone I've been really surprised by how the JLS/QJ just blows those others away for me. The funny thing is, the QJ that is my favorite of all my JLSs was in my bag 4-5 years ago. It's flat and flies EXACTLY like a longer Buzzz. I've been using it on more open holes and in a little wind and then using my MJs in the woods and when it is calm. These are flying on hyzer, straight, helix, and anny lines for me.

w00t!!! :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby zj1002 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:09 pm

So I have no clue what type of qjls this xout one is that picked up at PIAS. It has a nice even dome but isn't overly domey like the new ones. The qjls is a very opaque orange at 175g. It is really grippy and is similar in look to the plastic used for the qpls but it is more opaque than those. This thing crushes on any line, but after just 3 rounds it had already lost some stability. I think I still prefer the flat qjls but this one isn't leaving the bag anytime soon. I'm not sure if this is an old run that I have never seen or if they have some new blends coming out soon. PIAS has some other xout opaque clear/white ones but they didn't feel as good and had a higher dome. This is really good plastic so I hope to see more of them. This isn't anything like the plastic they used for the qols so this must be old plastic that they found
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby Fritz » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:29 pm

Could be CE.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Leopard » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:57 pm

sounds like an older type to me, and i do know exactly which run you're talking about. cloudy, tacky, more flexy, lesser but evenly domed, radiating striations.

thing with their inventory is... it was strewn all across the country for years, and it sells slowly... blank stock in NC and CA, stamped stock in both Innovas plus the "working"/primary-wholesale inventory in TX. so what you get is about 3-5 different runs in circulation at a time, and some of those blends not going to half the country. now that all stamped and blank are in TX, it'll still be a few years till "current runs" as a concept will apply.

i've seen that kind with the new stamp and the old stamp -- more of them with the new stamp, and that was in 2008ish. i don't think it's a new batch -- i think they're most likely stragglers from the '03/'04ish QLS era.

by my guess, there were 4 different runs that got a 1.6 stamp -- those run numbers should be taken with 175g of salt.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:00 pm

How is the shape on the 1.8 run?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby rusch_bag » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:58 pm

Also, how does a SJLS fly in comparison to the other two?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Aaron_D » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:12 pm

In my experience, SJs are domier and flippier than standard QJs. But they are both shorter and less glidey than the standard JLS and CE JLS. My CEs start out fairly stable, but only for a round or two and then fly a lot like a standard JLS. They hold up longer but eventually break into roller flippy just like a standard J.

If I were throwing JLS's and I am, I would have a few standtard JLSs in various stages, a new run QJ for more stability. If you have any CE, just swap them for the standard J's that they overlap with. My most beat J is a CE that is just gorgeous for hitting tight turnover lines and huge rollers. My longest are my slightly beat standard Js that need a little height, but are sneaky long and easy to kick into a distance line for 400+ on wide open holes.
My Drive-> http://www.youtube.com/user/CpJ123?feature=mhw5#p/u/0/OWX_jHYB4bg

Wizard * Roc * JLS * SOLF * Wraith * Predator
Aaron_D
I Throw Faaar

Postby JimW » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:06 pm

I haven't actually changed anything in my bag for months now but I decided to experiment a bit with my fairway slot. I bought a DX Eagle, Star Eagle, MJLS, and SJLS all at 171-172g. The Eagles, even though I have about 50' more power than the last time I tried them, still start out more stable than I'd like so I pretty quickly eliminated them from consideration since I don't want to have to depend on beating them in a fair amount just to make them usable for more than pure stable duties. I was extremely pleased with both JLS's though. I currently throw Gazelles and compared to a new one the MJLS was slightly less stable and the SJLS was slightly more. I was surprised and pleased actually at the extra stability in the S, I expect the M to be my workhorse anyway so having that extra bit of stability is a nice bonus. I've hit some trees with the M today but it still flies almost the same, I'm really looking forward to how it'll work once it can flip flat or slightly over from a hyzer. I'm also liking what I think the S will fly like down the road once it gets beat in some.

I may have found a new fairway driver. So far they really seem like shorter PDs, I played a round this afternoon using only them and on two holes I'd normally throw a P-PD on and two I'd throw the S on I basically got the exact same line from the equivalent plastic JLS, just shorter.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:11 pm

Ah, the JLS. Such an amazing driver. It's fun to see everyone post exactly my thoughts from a little over a year ago before I went on my CEJLS buying crusade.

BUAHAHAHAHAHA :twisted: :lol: :twisted:
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment