Winter workouts

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Winter workouts

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:44 pm

So what is everyone doing to work out and stay in shape over the winter? I've started doing the P90X workout and it is kicking my butt. I am noticing more upper body strength after 3 weeks of doing it and have much more power in my legs for jump putts.

So how you fighting off the winter crazies?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Re: Winter workouts

Postby emiller3 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:03 pm

Been doing home workouts and running on the treadmill...and playing once a week. It was 65 yesterday and 60 today and we've had virtually no snow this year.

I've never played through the winter, but I am this year and my discs are getting pretty beat up, even my CE and really hard Champion discs. Is winter more rough on your discs? I'm not sure if it's the coldness of my discs or the hard ground or what, but I'm thinking of taking a few of my favorite discs out of the bag for a couple months.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Dig It » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:47 pm

Luckily in Colorado you get to golf all year round. This Winter I have been playing 8am rounds on the weekends and loving it.

As far as workouts go I have been doing a variation of Starting Strength. I got a squat/bench with a nice oly barbell and I have been doing mainly compound lifts in hopes to build some beef on this frame.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby keltik » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:01 pm

well me and the wife are hitting the gym just to be healthy. we're doing a traditional workout with squats, deadlifts, bench press, rows etc plus some cardio. nothing fancy.

@emiller: man can we trade; down here in the Carolinas it's ass cold. yes the cold does have an effect on your discs I've cracked/shattered 2 discs on the same hole in sub freezing temperatures before. both discs were pro type plastic btw.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby zj1002 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:18 pm

winter hasnt hit here yet, probably wont until mid January only to warm up at the end of Feb. Anyways I usually do a lot of body weight training type activities in the winter. I use one of those iron man pullup bars. Can also be used for different type of pushups and such. it is a pretty handy to thing to have when you are going crazy
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby juju » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:40 pm

I shovel snow.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:40 pm

Dig It wrote:Luckily in Colorado you get to golf all year round.

This year especially. It was almost 60 degrees again today. Last year I hadn't seen my lawn for a month on christmas.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby keltik » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:03 pm

what the hell is going on??? it's 28°F during the day here in South Carolina and it's 60°F in Colorado. man this global warming can kiss my ass!
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Wabbajack » Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:38 pm

p90x is a fun workout, especially the yoga. i'm starting it next week i think.
Wabbajack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Katana

Postby JR » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:07 am

Everything is more brittle in the cold discs, muscles and tendons. I've split a Champ Valk in two in -8F IIRC. ATM my work is enough exercise because it's high season. When i'm not so busy at work i play DG (thermos helps) and lift weights and do some balance exercises because that is a problem for me. Those increase core muscle strength too so it builds up the infrastructure to help me maintaining proper body positions. So that i can throw at full power without the fear of something giving and missing hyzer angles. Consistency increases. Depending on how busy i am and how my injuries fare i might hop onto an exercise bike or a rowing machine.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:43 am

Frank Delicious wrote:So what is everyone doing to work out and stay in shape over the winter? I've started doing the P90X workout and it is kicking my butt. I am noticing more upper body strength after 3 weeks of doing it and have much more power in my legs for jump putts.

So how you fighting off the winter crazies?

Crazy is right. If I go more than a couple days without exercise I feel slow and fat and slovenly. Ok, even more slow and fat and slovenly than normal.

I had several friends do P90X last year and they thought it was a huge effort and commitment but well worth it. So good luck with it.

In an hour I leave for my workout. I am now in my 5th year of cross training, my 4th with a personal trainer. The process is simple. I arrive. He pulls out the whip. I try to do whatever he tells me to.

So a couple months ago I mentioned to my trainer that the heart of the tournament season had ended ( we know that tournaments never end but most of the major ones happen in summer and fall) and asked what kind of workouts should happen in the off season. He said that the off season was the time to ramp up your workouts, so you can build up strength and endurance, while in season you try to maintain. Since then we have been ramping up, including the always delightful:INTERVAL TRAINING. These are done on a clock, usually 40 seconds on with 20 seconds rest. So my trainer makes up a series of exercises (5 to 10) which I do in sequence, sometimes using toys ( weights, kettle bells, swiss balls, bosu balls, step platforms, squishy pads, hurdles, cones, etc). Every exercise and every workout session is some combination of strength, endurance, flexibility and balance.

I used to hate push ups the most. Now I hate plyometrics (jumping) the most.

The intensity of a particular workout is a function of how far away and how important my next tournament is. Depending on the workout, I might be ( ok, I will be) sore and stiff for a day or a few after the workout so it compromises my ability to play well in a tournament. Monday workouts tend to be the hardest ( most strength and endurance intensive) while a Friday workout tends to be more flexibility and balance based. I try to schedule workouts for Monday and Wednesdays but life interferes from time to time.

So far my major shortcoming fall in the categories of strength, endurance, flexibility and balance. Oh, we don't practice much on coordination, grace and rhythm but I suck at those, too. If I could just get some gene replacement therapy I might become an athlete one of these days. Probably the fountain of youth would help as well.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:54 pm

Plyometrics is the work out I dread the most in P90X, I just did it on Tuesday and man it is no fun at all. Yoga and Kempo are actually really fun and Yoga really helps me with my back pain.
Frank Delicious

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Plyometrics is the work out I dread the most in P90X

You ain't kiddin. I couldn't finish it at 100% effort, I was really struggling at the end.

Are you just doing the p90x workouts or the whole plan (diet,supplements,etc)?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:03 pm

I'm doing the workout, taking a multi-vitamin that isn't the P90X one b/c that one is crazy expensive and the wife and I have been eating healthy for a while. So to answer your question I am doing the workouts and taking the ideas promoted from the rest of the plan.

I don't think I finished a workout 100% for the first week and a half.
Frank Delicious

Postby J-Bolt » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:50 am

What are you guys using as a pull up bar for P90? I am in between mounting one in the ceiling of the laundry room(can barely see tv), and getting one of those iron gym doorway jobs.
J-Bolt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Vacant

Next

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury