2011 Rule Changes

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2011 Rule Changes

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:44 pm

Can't believe no one has started this thread yet...unless I missed it.

Anyway what do you all think?
Also all TD's and Officials will be required to take the exam again...

To sum up...
Summary of Rules Changes

Definitions of the basket and its components have been added to the Glossary so that we no longer have to use the phrase "entrapment section ".

The definition of holing out has been tightened up a bit. A putt that sticks in the side of the tray, or hangs outside the tray from one of the nubs, no longer counts.

The hole has been completed once the disc has come to rest, not when the disc is removed.

The "unplayable lie" rule has been reformulated into an "optional rethrow" rule. It is now clear that penalty strokes are not added if the rethrow option is taken, so that double jeopardy is avoided.

The rules for a lie above ground have been changed to include a lie below ground (in a crevice or below a bridge, for example).

The relief rules have been simplified. You can’t move anything unless it’s in your stance. If something is both in your stance and between your lie and the hole, you can move it. You can always ask people to move themselves or their stuff if they are in your way.

The 5-meter relief rule has been extended to anywhere back along the line of play, and moved to the relief Section .

A director may designate a drop zone to be used for lost disc on a hole.

I like that the hangers and sticky putts no longer counts, but I foresee some issues of what if it's sticking through from the inside of the basket?
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Re: 2011 Rule Changes

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:02 pm

If the group observes the disc going into the basket properly over the rim but then it wedges, it is good. Any disc wedged in the basket that no one saw wedge in the basket (blind shot), it is good.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:If the group observes the disc going into the basket properly over the rim but then it wedges, it is good. Any disc wedged in the basket that no one saw wedge in the basket (blind shot), it is good.

Awesome. So on that rule, if you see it wedge from the front side it's not good.
I like this rule.

I don't quite understand the stance rule though, being able to move stuff.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm

I think the RC decided that most of the time, a dead branch in your stance where part is in front of your lie will not have projections extending up high enough off the ground that you would get some benefit by moving it out of the way of your throw.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:23 pm

Chuck Kennedy wrote:I think the RC decided that most of the time, a dead branch in your stance where part is in front of your lie will not have projections extending up high enough off the ground that you would get some benefit by moving it out of the way of your throw.

What about Jump Putting? moving said branch, benefits the jump putt.

Also, when will the TD/Officials test be ready? I need to get that off my plate since we have to renew this year :)
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:26 pm

You already can move dead branches and debris in your stance that are 100% behind your lie so there's no impact on jump putting.

New rules should be posted online late next week. Officials test presumably to follow. Merry Christmas.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Robin Hood » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:41 pm

The "unplayable lie" rule has been reformulated into an "optional rethrow" rule. It is now clear that penalty strokes are not added if the rethrow option is taken, so that double jeopardy is avoided.

So I can just mulligan off the tee if I so choose because I didn't like my shot without penalty?
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:04 pm

No. Optional Rethrow still includes a 1-throw penalty. However, if 2m rule is in effect, you don't get 2 penalties (double jeopardy) if you decide to play from the original lie instead of playing in crap or under an impenetrable fir tree below your disc above 2m.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:05 pm

Three questions:
1. If a putt goes throught the basket, coming to rest fully inside, is it good? Majority inside? I understand the principle idea, but seems cloudy to rule on.
2. If the 5 meter rule is null, and you can take relief anywhere on a line perpendicular to the hole, how many times will you really have an unplayable lie?
3. So if my disc comes to rest in a small, dead, unnattached cedar tree, with brances sticking up 4' between me and the hole, I can now move it?
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Craft Discs

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:21 am

1. No, if the group sees it happen. Yes, if no one saw it.
2. For casual relief, you can go back up to 5m with no penalty. Then, you get additional relief as far back as you want on the line of play for a 1-throw penalty. If you don't like that, you can always rethrow from the original lie instead for the same 1-throw penalty.
3. Yes. Not sure where you find a dead cedar tree still standing that isn't still attached to the ground, but you can move it if that's the case.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks Chuck. Just so I am clear, if the majority of my group agrees that my putt went through the side of the basket and was laying inside, it is no good? I could see this being used against someone.
Second question clarification appreciated.
On the third point, wow. The object to be moved would have to be where a point of supporting contact (behind your mini within 30cm) is in order for it to be moved, yes? It has to be blocking that point of contact, not just in the way enough to force a straddle putt rather than a straight on attempt. Player are going to work this rule badly. Do you have any insight as to why it was changed?
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:35 pm

If you think a group might claim they saw your disc go thru the basket instead of over the rim, unless you have a really soft putter, you might be able to show them that it can't flex enough to go all the way thru the basket wires even on the diagonal.

On point three, the rule also allows you to move the branch even if it's in your run-up, not just the 30cm behind your marker. Here's the phrase in the new rules: B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: I haven't talked with any RC member about the rule change but I do have some issues that they may need to resolve on this. Looks like another Q&A or two might be needed.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:17 pm

Well, I am not sure that I have ever played in a group that would have tried to say that a putt went in through the side if it hadn't, nor have any of my putts gone in through the cage in a PDGA event, but this seems like it could be contentious with people being jerks, and certainly doesn't help a player that uses a soft putter. I am fine with wedges from the outside not counting, and the idea that putts must come in from the top is fine, but I think the rule should be applied to the baskets that are being made, not the players. I understand the impracticality of the thousands of existing baskets, and they would have to be grandfathered in, but really? We are going to allow a possible judgement call (how would you get a warning for this?) on every putt on every hole in every tournament? I think I would rather have people paying attention to where the other players are putting their feet (after they have cleared all the obstacles, of course, haha) than open the proverbial can of worms that we are talking about.
KP
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Postby NoMoreTinCup » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Also, if a putt goes through from the outside, and comes to rest inside, do I mark it underneath the basket and pull my putter out of the basket and replace it? This sounds more absurd the more I think about it. We are talking about a rule change that affects a percentile fraction of all the shots in our game, that could easily be manipulated against someone. Seems rather pointless. I say allow it on existing baskets, and alter the specs on all new equiptment.
And, not to be picky, but is there a working definition of "run-up area"?
Elk Creek Disc Golf
www.elkcreekdgc.info
NoMoreTinCup
Tree Magnet

Postby BoyntonStreet » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:30 pm

What if a disc falls thru the top into the disc catching device thinger?

I ask because the we've got a course here - Pleasant Hill, DGC Maine - which the top of the basket (discatcher) allows a disc to trickle through... Got an ace last Saturday thru the top & have seen MANY putts enter in that fashion...
BoyntonStreet
Noob

Favorite Disc: Lat 64 GLviz

Next

Return to Rules Discussion