bag arrangements

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

bag arrangements

Postby Smyith » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:07 am

so i was checking out all the bags of the pros on their sponsers websites. i noticed something almost universal; they seem to have only a couple kinds of drivers/mids/and putters in assorted weights and conditions (even blakes post on his bag is like this). i think i understand the purpose of this. fimilarity, consistence, and knowing what yourself is campable of with the disc every time.

so what i started doing was finding what discs in my bag are my "best". pretty much just the drivers b/c i have had my midrange set for awile. i came up with 3 drivers that i throw consistently with and my game has greatly improved. now all i need is some money to get the various weights i want and of course continuely expierment with the new up and comers.

just thought i'd relay this cause in the whats in your bag thread i see that alot of people have al sorts of drivers.

my new planned bag:

175 & 169 - SE teebird (all straight drives)
171 - elite x XL (only b/c it flattens out differently on anhyzers)
170 - polaris LS (short fairway drives on windy days) (my other drivers i tend to over do it and blow past the hole)
171 & 175 - champ Viking (tight longer and windy drives) (i wish they made them in pro plastic)
165 & 171 - Quarter K ( open big and really windy drives)

168 - dx Roc
170 & 175 - DGA Hawkeye
172 & 178 - Pro Roc

175 - dx Avair (mr. dependable been with me since i started)
174 - SS wizard (main putter)
170 - Med wizard (approaches and short drives)

i know in the straight driver department there is overlap but alot of the courses i play have several anhyzer holes and the each flatten out differently so thats why
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Mark Brunner » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:46 am

Bingo

You are figuring it out!

I will have to look if I still have it but I went through every sponsored players profile one night and compiled a percentage of what discs are in the bag the most. I know that Orcs, Teebirds, Rocs, Firebirds were all high on the list.

The best advice I can give is the fact that you will be better if you limit you bag to only a few molds. With only a few molds, if you can learn to be consistent with a large variety of shots and know what they all do in a given situation your consistency will improve and it will show in your score.

My bag last year:
2x Orcs
2x Leopards
3x Rocs
2x Aviar
1x firebird

This year:
Wraith
Teebird
Roc
Aviar
Firebird

Pretty much the same but I have found more consistency and control in the teebirds and can do the same shots with them as I can with a leopard, and the wraith is more predictable than the Orc

I try to keep the bag down to about 12-14 discs total during practice. During a tournament I try to keep it around 8-10 discs total. Just eliminating doubles of discs.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:00 am

Smyith,

only thing i'd look out for is that you have a bit of overlap in your drivers.
the TL, XL, polaris, and viking are all basically used for the same shots.
you are on the right track though.

i agree with what Mark says, except i don't see a reason to limit the raw # of discs if you stay on top of what each of them do.

one of my golfing buddy's bags used to be:
11 dx valkyries ranging from 70 degree hyzer and it still turns into a roller to new.
1 jk valkyrie for slight wind
1 11x kc firebird for bigger wind
3 10x kc rocs beat to new
3 s wizards beat to new

the thing that impressed me most about his play was that he NEVER over the course of a few years and hundreds of rounds threw the wrong valk for the given shot (although he did on occasion throw the wrong shot).
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Mark Brunner » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:38 am

Blake_T wrote:Smyith,

i agree with what Mark says, except i don't see a reason to limit the raw # of discs if you stay on top of what each of them do.

I agree there is no reason to limit the raw # of discs. Just a method that I found has worked well for me.

BTW this is before they redid all the team pages so I would probably have to go through again but for more popular discs, and I believe I went through 47 players on team innova/champion.

68% - Firebird
17% - Starfire
63% - Orc
21% - Beast
17% - Sidewinder
74% - Teebird
25% - Leopard

I guess I didnt keep track of Rocs and other discs. Take it for what its worth.
http://www.gdstour.com
Gateway Disc Sports!
Mark Brunner
Tree Magnet

Postby Blake_T » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:40 am

yah, actually, i do agree to limit discs if people don't know what variations they have in their bag. i've found it's about 1 in 3 that know their discs well enough to pick the right one with more than 75% success.

as for innova's player's bags, with the exception of the orc, you can basically equate popularity with high speed stability since most of them have above average power.

the firebird and teebird are two of their most high speed stable discs. the roc is likely in about 98% of the sponsored player's bags.

as for the orc, a lot of that was it was their best combination of distance and stability in a champion plastic disc. the wraith will likely replace the orc for about 2/3 of the players.
Blake_T

Postby Smyith » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:53 pm

[quote="Blake_T"]Smyith,

the xl is just for anhyzers b/c of how it flattens out (later than the teebird) so it carries for longer.
the LS is for midrange shots on extremely windy days were the mids are getting messed up.
the viking i can throw farther than my teebirds and the real main purpose is how it fades at the end. several courses that i regularly play have sudden 90 degree turns and with the teebird i go past the opening.
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby bigs348 » Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:20 pm

Blake...I think from spending time on this site we've all learned that we should be carrying multiples of the same mold of disc for our main driver, midrange, etc.

I was wondering if you suggested having discs all the same weight (at least within 2 grams or so) in different stages of wear, or whether you see merit in having the same mold in different weights, too?

I tend to throw all the same weights and beat them in differently because I know they'll fly the same except for the wear, but what is your experience?
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:45 pm

i generally carried two different weights...

mid weight for most shots, heavy for max stability.

the mid weight got thrown a lot more so they were the ones that broke into my understable.

i personally don't think it matters much. most people throw discs that are too heavy. my recommendation = heavy enough to where it flies predictable, light enough where it gets d.
Blake_T

Postby Smyith » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:17 am

Blake_T wrote:i most people throw discs that are too heavy. my recommendation = heavy enough to where it flies predictable, light enough where it gets d.

i totally agree i was throwing max weight for a long time and i have moved down to the 169-172 range and i am getting more distance and the same predictability. i still find that the heavier weights fly better in windy conditions and thats why i carry heavys of certian discs.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:45 pm

Mark Brunner wrote:I try to keep the bag down to about 12-14 discs total during practice. During a tournament I try to keep it around 8-10 discs total. Just eliminating doubles of discs.

That is the time you want to have duplicates. Wait until you lose one in a tree or an ob and it is unretreivable..... you will be so ticked at yourself for not having a backup.

Only things i dont have dups of are my trick shot discs and special but rare occasion drivers. If its really windy though, i will put an extra firebird in the bag just in case.
LastBoyScout

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:28 pm

I agree tourneys are a great time to have duplicates.
So are practice rounds so you can rotate them an get them beat right.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby LastBoyScout » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:54 pm

I prefer to have virgin plastic of each weight driver I use and then old faithful. Since I use the faithfuls on a regular basis I know what they will do, and I can always use the virgin plastic for shots that call for that disc does or can do easily when it is new.

Check the Team Innova or Team Discraft players for that matter. Most of them carry various dupes in different stages of wear and tear.

The biggest thing that most people forget to do is to play smarter not harder. Too many times do i see and hear "Lets try this disc this time" when I know that a certain disc in their bag, they have used to do exactly like that particular situation called for. Limit your plastic and learn your favorite disc for driving, mid, and approach/putting. You will shave strokes off your game and build immense confidence in you ability to save yourself in situations.
LastBoyScout

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:40 am

Even though I agree with you completely. I still enjoy trying new discs, just like I enjoy trying new cigars or brews.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smyith » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:41 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:Even though I agree with you completely. I still enjoy trying new discs, just like I enjoy trying new cigars or brews.

everyone including the pros try new discs. its fun and you never know if it will be better than one your currently carrying. i remember before the orc came out climo only carried teebirds and freebirds.

but as long as its not a tourny who cares if ppl try different discs at different holes, you nvr know if another disc will be better unless you try.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby LastBoyScout » Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:55 pm

oh you have to try new plastic. Im actually waiting for the next disc to replace the beast to arrive. The beast has more potential than any current disc and no one other than Barry Schultz ever really gave credit for their ability and I cant wait for a retooled faster version. When that happens I'll have them in my bag with my wraiths.

I just practice and play like its a tournament everytime, unless i am playing speed golf, roller derby, or change-up.
Last edited by LastBoyScout on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LastBoyScout

Next

Return to Equipment