Bowling Green Ams

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Glock23 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:38 am

I'm in! How do I register? I am not a pdga member, does anyone know how to sign up?
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby Frontman311 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:15 pm

Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

register

Postby ziggy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:29 pm

gotta be a pdga member to play A-tier.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jorr16 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:31 pm

I'm in!!
Just signed up today!
J
When walking up to tee
Strive to be bogey free

Discs for Trade/Sale
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/vi ... php?t=3395
jorr16
Tree Magnet

Postby Frontman311 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:00 pm

I signed up last week, but those bastards don't have my name up on the pdga site yet though.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:31 pm

I am playing intermediate, anybody else?
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Rooster » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

am 2 as well.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:46 pm

I'm playing Am1, and a couple guys I'm coming with are playing am2.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jorr16 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:21 pm

So those of you who have played BG before what do I have to expect as a first timer? Any words of advice? The end of the month can't come soon enough!!
J
When walking up to tee
Strive to be bogey free

Discs for Trade/Sale
jorr16
Tree Magnet

Re: bowling green

Postby ziggy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:17 pm

ziggy wrote:played 3 years straight now..

what i can tell you

There's camping at KOA - across the street from Basil Griffin park (for am2)
http://www.koa.com/where/ky/17139/
maybe if u call them and mention disc golf - a discount? beats me.

I tend to stay at a hotel and chip in among springfield disc golf club

as for AM2 - i cant really help you except for basil griffin.
Front nine is woody and some water - need control.
Back nine is open, wide open - just winds to watch out for
if you're a 900 rated player, shud score around 50 - 54

For adv.

Hobson - Short, technical. You think you cud shoot a 44 on a good day but you end up with somewhere between 52 and 56 cuz of the friggin trees

White - Imagine golf at st. andrews - you have open fields with slight hills and plenty of o.b. for sidewalks and 1 sandpit. LOOOONG course and windy.. very little trees - if your 300 footer is dead on and ur putts are true, you will score under, if you cannot harness the 300 footer, then ur screwed

Lovers - the easiest course in town. little trees, nice manicured grass. If you dont get under here - you are screwed. Why it's in the ADV division is beyond my scope (prolly cuz of the vicinity to keriakes)

Keriakes - imo, the best course - beautiful cedar trees defining the fairways - lefthander's paradise. I think it's also the host of the longest tournament ace??? with scott stokely nailing #11 i think. not sure about that one

if any qq - holler

jorr - hope this helps
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jorr16 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Thanks Ziggy! I was looking for something a little more indepth though. Has anyone played this Franklin course? I just wanted to see if there were things I should look out for or keep in mind as a first-timer at BG.
J
When walking up to tee
Strive to be bogey free

Discs for Trade/Sale
jorr16
Tree Magnet

Postby ziggy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:12 am

jorr16 wrote:Thanks Ziggy! I was looking for something a little more indepth though. Has anyone played this Franklin course? I just wanted to see if there were things I should look out for or keep in mind as a first-timer at BG.
J

by asking about franklin - i assume your playing am1.

Franklin will be having doubles on Friday before BG ams..

as quoted from www.pdga.com discussion forum

Franklin - Sunking course sponsor
will have doubles - will have online registration avaible soon - looking at 2 events one @ 12:00 and one @ 3:00. $15 per person with sweet players package

if you want the opportunity to play it with another person.

in depth.

Hobson - hole #2 is the only hole that cannot be 2'd (it would take two money shots to do so..) - the rest can be 2'd if you are lucky and skilled. Otherwise frustration sets in because it's tight in areas - thousands of trees.. some elevation - if you control your first throw, you will have opportunities for safe par. if you hit the first tree - consider yourself (insert expletive here) - teepads here are crap. wear some solid footing so you can compensate. dont try to be fancy with your skateboard shoes on this course.

White - you need long arm. be wary of the gravel "sidewalks" walking path - those are ob's, you need to stay on the line. You will have prolly 9-12 chances for birdies with the hole being 300-350 feet away if you can harness your 300' shot. The trick is the wind. If you get tornado weather (me in 2006) you will score around 65. If you get 5mph winds (me in 2005) you will score around 52.

I compare white park to the st. andrews golf scene in England. Very little elevation. practically no trees will come into play. OB's galore when considering the sand pit and walking paths - The sheer distance times wind is what makes it a challenge. this is where the final nine will be.
on the plus side - white park has the hugest tee pads i have ever seen in my life.

Keriakes - Tucked in the back of a park - surrounded by walking paths where you see beautiful bunnies as you play.. beautiful rolling hills. Lots of trick shot opportunities (if you can see beyond the usual straight line) Makes good use of your bag. Mature cedar trees scattered throughout the course. This is the signature course imo. this is the course i'm coming back to play. Mere words cannot explain this course.

Franklin - juries out. have not touched it - from what i read so far - some baskets are tucked near the end of hills/creek. Am curious to see this course. Prolly will play it blind unless my ride is willing to hit Franklin dubs.

hope my 2nd wind helps :) Any other people willing to post here their thoughts?
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby justin main » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:26 am

I'll be there. This is going to be my 2nd year. I'm playing am1

Its a really fun weekend and something got to be played. The thing that sucks about the tournament the most is how much 1 stroke can cost you.
justin main
Tree Magnet

Postby justin main » Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:32 am

White park---- is a wide open long course with a lot of ob just play smart and the course can come easy. I shot a +1 last year and thought it was a crappy round but turned out being rated 980. Wind comes into play a lot there.

Lovers------- I'm so happy they took this course away from Adv super easy course but I ended up shooting over there.

Hobson--- really tight wooded fairways stay on them and don't do anything to stupid. This course looks like you must shot under but make sure to stay around par. There is 1 tricky hole I can't remember the number though. Also the squirrels are tame at this course and will walk up to you and let you carry them.

Keriakes--- a lot of walking paths sweet course but has a lot of trees that will catch your disc.
justin main
Tree Magnet

Postby ziggy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:28 am

http://www.discgolftv.com/dgtv/139/2/10

shot of the day

shows chase roberts throwing at White Park on #4

note the OB sidewalks he has to cross on his left and land in an "island" for the bird.
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Tournaments