Foam Roller

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Foam Roller

Postby JR » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:48 pm

I don't get any pain from using the side of my hand. You can stretch without a foam roller too. I don't see any benefits to paying for a foam roller. The first brief encounter with one lead me to using my hand so i compared them and preferred the hand. Hand usability depends on your flexibility but those that can't reach every part of the body with the hand can use corners to cure the parts that the hand doesn't reach.

I will have to try out the 30 seconds of pressure then hand rolling on my injuries to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CatPredator » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:34 pm

Moderate "good" pain is an indicator that you're loosening the fascial tissue in your body. If you feel no pain at all then you probably don't have many knotted up areas or you aren't hitting the right spots hard enough. You shouldn't ever feel like you're in danger of damaging tendons or joints though. Prolonged pain (the next day or longer) can be an indication of weak muscles that are in need of training.

The rollers are useful for big muscles in the legs and back where applying sufficient pressure for long enough to reach deep tissues can be difficult with your hands. You can get them for pretty cheap so there isn't much reason not to try them.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:30 am

My aversion to foam rollers is two fold. Hands are always with you. Getting something you don't need is a waste of natural resources and your money. I'm flexible enough to be able to exert enough power everywhere and corners make things faster and give more than enough power. Ask me how i know :-)

So far i've only tried pushing on my injury once and it may have been too hard. I can't draw conclusions yet because i'm really stressing my body at work at the moment so it is impossible to attribute post pressure pain to anything. When there are more than one obviously possible explanation. Unfortunately i know exactly where the damage is. I didn't even need x rays to tell that. The scar that the scalpel left is a pretty sure fire indicator along with pain for over a decade in the place where i have to wear a brace at work. And multiple inflammations during work from the brace that was tightened too much.

I will test using pressure more later but i'll start off with even less pressure than i used. Which was not much at all. So i advice everyone to start excessively easy. You can always add power if there are no adverse effects. Too much pressure and you'll pay for it. Because the injury is severe and won't heal normally ever it's probably little wonder that i got phantom pains at different points in my arm at times for the next day after trying this. I hope that healthy tissue won't get aggravated from light pressure.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby CatPredator » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:59 pm

If you've suffered a severe injury, had surgery, and still have severe pain years later, you should probably see a medical professional about your options. If you experience significant inflammation in the area odds are there is something other than tight fascia or muscles going on there. You can certainly cause more damage by improperly using one of these.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Dump truck » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:12 pm

When I say quite painful at first I'm talking about using it for it bands/quads after having done resistance training for a few years and not really properly stretching. Not pain in a bad way. Yeah it stings a bit but it really cuts done on post workout soreness and speeds recovery time.
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby disc junkie » Thu Dec 23, 2010 5:15 pm

eli wrote:When I say quite painful at first I'm talking about using it for it bands/quads after having done resistance training for a few years and not really properly stretching. Not pain in a bad way. Yeah it stings a bit but it really cuts done on post workout soreness and speeds recovery time.

When he says painful. He really is saying that he is a big tittie baby and cant handle any kind of discomfort. :twisted:

Oh and so I dont get off track, Foam Rollers Rock!!
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Dump truck » Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:11 pm

disc junkie wrote:
eli wrote:When I say quite painful at first I'm talking about using it for it bands/quads after having done resistance training for a few years and not really properly stretching. Not pain in a bad way. Yeah it stings a bit but it really cuts done on post workout soreness and speeds recovery time.

When he says painful. He really is saying that he is a big tittie baby and cant handle any kind of discomfort. :twisted:

Oh and so I dont get off track, Foam Rollers Rock!!

Nice. You dickhead! I ate 2 monster donjuan tacos and I'm gonna drink a bunch of shitty protein in the morning so I can drop bombs all day tomorrow. Hope you enjoy trying to tee off in a thick fog of shitstink.
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:10 am

My propensity to getting pain comes from an inoperable rest of the injury. I've already had surgery and the surgeon said that trying to get more scar tissue from pinching my nerves is too dangerous. Because what is left of the scars in the arm are so close to a cluster of nerves in a tight spot that it's too likely to cut the nerves for a life time of agony. Err... no thank you. I get inflammations in the arm too easily because of the old injury. It ain't gonna go away by itself but gaining muscle mass will help support the damaged area so it's a long process of prevention and never working out with heavy weights. Blechhh.

I don't get pains until i overwork the arm. Static stressing will hurt the arm such as typing and using a mouse a lot. And using max weight for me too much will ruin several days.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:28 am

Foam roller = purchased. I'm really really looking forward to seeing what it can do for the ol IT band.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby uNicedmeMan » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:47 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Foam roller = purchased. I'm really really looking forward to seeing what it can do for the ol IT band.

UPS tracking says foam roller was delivered and "left with man"... I haven't seen it yet, sucks, I'm not down with the brown.

Anyone ever had this happen to them? My buddy who works in logistics said to call the company that I bought it from as dealing directly with UPS won't help much.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Dump truck » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Bunko. I had that happen with some parts I ordered for my car. They left it outside the door at one of my neighbors house. Pretty stupid to leave hundreds of dollars sitting outside much less at the wrong house. Have you tried checking with your neighbors?
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:31 am

I haven't checked with the neighbors yet. They (UPS) has left packages with the neighbors before but they usually leave a note explaining what happened. This time = no note at all.

Sucks because I'm a bit sore right now and really looking forward to using the mawfuggin piece of foam.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:53 am

Well, "man" decided to drop my package off and I tried the foam roller for the first time last night. Didn't hurt too much on my hamstrings or calves, hurt a little bit on the quads and killed my IT band (in a good way). It was almost too much to bear when I hit some tight spots on my IT band but damn it felt good after. I'm looking forward to seeing what regular work on this will do.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby disc junkie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:33 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Well, "man" decided to drop my package off and I tried the foam roller for the first time last night. Didn't hurt too much on my hamstrings or calves, hurt a little bit on the quads and killed my IT band (in a good way). It was almost too much to bear when I hit some tight spots on my IT band but damn it felt good after. I'm looking forward to seeing what regular work on this will do.

Welcome to the addiction 8)
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby Discwrangler » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:43 pm

Anatomy of "Fuzz" with a cadaver, aka why you should use this everyday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FtSP-tkSug

I've also added the Mobility WOD to my blog list. This guy is good, some say genius. He is a DPT. It's kinda tough to follow all the technical terms, but I've found that watching it daily basically tells you, work on mobility 10 minutes everyday, somehow, someway. You know when it feels "good".
Discwrangler
Noob

Favorite Disc: Whatever I'm throwin

PreviousNext

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury