Most holes in 24 hour record..

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Most holes in 24 hour record..

Postby DiscinLeopard » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:45 pm

I will be making a run at breaking the current record of 1035 holes played in a 24 hour period in the late Spring of 2011.

What are some types of things I will need to do to get my body properly conditioned for such an endeavor?

I know this is a generalized question and I will probably get flamed for it, but I don't know where else to start, so that's what I have for now. I'm sure as I get flamed or helped other ideas of what I am looking for will come to mind and be posted.

Thanks in advance for the help.
DiscinLeopard
Noob

Favorite Disc: Innova Star Xcaliber

Re: Most holes in 24 hour record..

Postby JR » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:13 pm

Running is definitely great for staying fresh enough to think and execute the shots so that you don't need to waste time looking for discs in the shule. If you can run forever a speed golf round or many would boost your score if your throwing isn't too far off. If you can plan a way to be able to play uninterrupted by others you can speed up the play. If you can enlist the help of local clubs for crowd control that could be a make instead of a break factor for your attempt. Insert plural if you plan to play different holes. Then you need a motorcycle or a helicopter for transitions between courses. An open course minimizing shule danger would help. A course with no excess time for transitions from basket to the next tee helps. Try out other extended physical exercises so that you can hone your diet. Make sure you get enough salts and liquids. That is why Finnish triathlonists have for a long time had a mixture of bananas and blueberry soup. There are sugars in that mix for energy that gets to your muscles easy and fast. The blueberry soup contains enough liquids and there's sodium i think in the bananas for salts. Avery Jenkins loves nuts for giving off energy for a long time. So it would be good to begin tanked up on liquids and food that is energy rich and doesn't digest too fast so if it's good enough for Avery who has a degree in sports medicine it should be good enough for you.

Why would anybody flame you? If they do they are at fault don't listen to it. Go show them by breaking the record 8) I hope you make it. DGR represent!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Itchy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:29 pm

I'm kind of curious as to what are the specifics of this? Do you have to play 1035 different holes? Do the holes have to be a minimum length? Or can you shoot at the same 100 foot hole all day?

Cool idea, I'm not sure I have anything to help you out, but I'll be interested hear about how it goes.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:56 pm

A group of my friends are also trying this out (which is why Ive thought about it), so I probably shouldnt be giving you any help but the strategy I thought would work best is Obviously being in good shape will help. Eat right, don't want unexpected problems there. Stay hydrated, carb load the night before. ect.
I would play with two identical putters (obviously you are trying this on a short course) 150 class to help with arm fatigue. Two of the same so you never have to mark lies or think about which disc you are throwing. Glow would be a plus for obvious reasons. Have helpers, you will need people refilling water bottles, feeding you ect (this would be our wives if I participated cause they are awesome and would think this is a blast). I will try to keep up with this thread when I think of more hints.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby DiscinLeopard » Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:36 pm

Itchy wrote:I'm kind of curious as to what are the specifics of this? Do you have to play 1035 different holes? Do the holes have to be a minimum length? Or can you shoot at the same 100 foot hole all day?

Cool idea, I'm not sure I have anything to help you out, but I'll be interested hear about how it goes.

The record has been done this way (the same way I will be attempting it). It has been performed on one course 6 and 9 holers (9 holer for me). The record of 1035 holes was 115 rounds in 24 hours, I am planning for 120.

JR wrote:Avery Jenkins loves nuts

nuff said :lol:
Thanks for the advice, I know my diet is going to have a lot to do with this as well as my physical conditioning and endurance levels. I will need to try at least a couple weeks ahead of time to make sure I can play for hours and hours straight and see what I average to gauge where I am and where I need to be to get this done.

Thatdirtykid wrote:A group of my friends are also trying this out (which is why Ive thought about it), so I probably shouldnt be giving you any help

Why not? What if they aren't able to complete it but I am (or the other way around). It would also make for a sweet rivalry, but I don't see why you couldn't give me any advice, that's kind of selfish talk right there. But thanks for the advice anyhow :)

Thanks guys for the advice, I welcome any and all feedback and hope I can get myself into beast-mode and crush the record with 1080 or 1098.
DiscinLeopard
Noob

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:37 pm

I would create my own temporary 9-hole course on a nice level football field or multiple soccer field complex, probably close to sea level, where the next tees were right next to each basket. The shortest 9-hole course in the ground is about 900 ft long or 100 ft per hole. So, that's the total length I would make it for "credibility." I'd vary the hole lengths a little bit to reduce boredom. The basket for hole 9 would be right next to the tee for 1 so there's no transition walk at the end of each nine.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:07 pm

At 100' i'd jump putt every shot and that would be gruesome on the body ouch. Plus boring to tears. You'd never wanna participate in an Ace Race if you were asked right after the event. But i see the need for short holes and the need to move quickly from one hole to the other. There are 86400 seconds in 24 hours /1035 holes=83 and change seconds per hole if you don't stop. So you need to arrange a portable toilet to save time.

Are there any rules for this kind of attempt? Does there have to be an official present counting the time and the holes played? If there is you need to get them present. And i mean multiple because i don't think many would like to stay up 24+ hours.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby DiscinLeopard » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:34 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:I would create my own temporary 9-hole course on a nice level football field or multiple soccer field complex, probably close to sea level, where the next tees were right next to each basket. The shortest 9-hole course in the ground is about 900 ft long or 100 ft per hole. So, that's the total length I would make it for "credibility." I'd vary the hole lengths a little bit to reduce boredom. The basket for hole 9 would be right next to the tee for 1 so there's no transition walk at the end of each nine.

The record has to be set on a permanent course, I've already thought about doing that.
DiscinLeopard
Noob

Postby DiscinLeopard » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:38 am

JR wrote:Are there any rules for this kind of attempt? Does there have to be an official present counting the time and the holes played? If there is you need to get them present. And i mean multiple because i don't think many would like to stay up 24+ hours.

I'm learning more about it each day as I continue to do research for a successful attempt but here is what I have learned so far:

- The record must be set on a permanent course.
- There must be at least 3 stopwatches counting time with a regular wrist watch next to them for time verification
- Officials may or may not have to be present, I'm still trying to figure that out

As for having people rotating out in shifts, I already have a ton of people asking to help out and I'm sure as time gets closer I will have quite the audience there for support in every way I need it.

Once I figure out what Guiness wants from me and needs me to do for this to be official, I will post it here and my plans to accomplish said terms.
DiscinLeopard
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:35 pm

Why limit it to just Guinness why not involve the WFDF as well? About running i think you shouldn't run too often in long stretches. Maybe every other round max for 10 minutes to make sure you've got energy left at the end. The ground shouldn't be slippery you don't wanna slip and miss or fall. That's gonna dent the time and possibly slow you down and make you more inaccurate. The course should be clean and not slippery. The grass needs to be so short that dew doesn't wet your shoes. The shoes need to be non waterproof for maximum breathability to keep the feet as dry as possible. Take blister protecting band aids with you for every location in both feet. Long term events need washing up of the feet and changing of the shoes. So take several pairs of shoes and towels. Don't attempt the record when it's rainy or windy. You won't lose too much time washing, drying up the feet and changing shoes when you drink or eat at the same time. I suggest using a bench because in colder temps of the night sitting on dewy grass makes you unnecessarily cold. To avoid catching cold change of clothes is mandatory. You really need to choose underpants and test them out in long term usage to see if they chafe. Breaking skin in thighs or other sensitive parts may immobilize you. That is why some marathon runners and soldiers going on long missions grease up the parts that are in danger of being broken. A Buff or some other type of headgear is good to have around for sun protection. Using sun blockers also reduces the area from which to sweat so that raises your body temperature which is bad on a hot day. Sun glasses for the day too. Have more clothes than you think you need so that if the night is cold you won't suffer. This means gloves too at least for the non throwing arm. Catching cold ain't good.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby jaydub803 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:38 am

Hmmm, this is intriguing. I am a natural endurance type person myself. You may have a challenger soon! But seriously, coming from a long distance cycling background, the best things to do are eat and drink on schedule based on how fast you are trying to go and shoot for keeping a specific pace. If you can plan ahead and figure out an average speed of moving around the course, you can time yourself to speed up and slow down some in rhythm on the shots that are easier or harder and also know when and where on the course to replenish. I play a lot of disc as it is, and the biggest things that keep me feeling good are plenty of water and bathroom breaks and the occasional bit of chocolate or clif bar.
Build a bag a day and keep the boredom at bay!
jaydub803
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion shark

Postby bcr123psu » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:50 am

You may want to reach out to Donovan or Olorin at DGCR. Each of them has held the record at one point and they may be willing to share the experience and things to try/avoid.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury