Putter Only Rounds

Sets of drills targeted at developing a full skill sets of shots and mastery of flight characteristics. Players taking part are encouraged to post their experiences and feedback.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Putter Only Rounds

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:55 pm

I've done this on one of our longest courses (am tees, avg 300' plus or minus) and on a shorter course where the average hole is around 230' plus or minus. So far I've been using an DX XD as my long driver, S-Magic for straighter shots, and a Star Aviar P&A, and a DX AD...all max weight.

I've found that I really like shaping lines with the XD and does well for a longer approach disc. I've not had the opportunity yet to use this in the wind (I hear it is crap from other discussions). I use the Magic for shorter line shaping and straight to slight turnover shots and I've been using the Star Aviar P&A for about the same thing. Also, been using the AD for sidearm drives and approaches and if I needed a touch more stability or hyzer.

From the one round I played on the longer course I was within 3 strokes (over) of my average. On the shorter course after three rounds I shot a -2, E, and +1 and my average on that course is ~+1.

I've noticed that I have a lot more control and A LOT more room for error if things get a little awry. I've also noticed a little better accuracy off the tee when I stepped back up to mids and drivers. It has also made me think more of course management when throwing just putters. My outlook has changed from trying to drive and take a risky route and go for the deuce to actually thinking about how to get a three more times than not. This plays into course management and focusing more on your game and not making mistakes. I can see how this will be advantageous in SOOOOO many ways during tourney play.

I have a few Wizards (SSS & SS) and some other putters I was going to throw into the mix and see how they fair as well. Right now I'm on a putter only kick and I'm trying to figure out what are going to be the best discs for me in this regard. Once I do that, I'm going to commit to doing this at least once a week or more to gain a more rounded practice routine.

I'm interested in others' thoughts and experiences on this type of practice.

I did do a search looking for a thread that was specific on this and couldn't find anything but blurbs. The other was the one from Blake about putters and mids.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Re: Putter Only Rounds

Postby keltik » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:49 pm

Preach it Brotha!!!!!
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby lokirising » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:28 pm

I played a round with only a Polecat once and actually did ok.
You lost! You get nothing! Good day, sir!

-Willy Wonka
lokirising
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Pro-D Buzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:26 pm

True story. Messing around one day I played a round at Middle Creek with just three Rhynos and a magic and tied my (at the time) best round out there with a -8. It was very depressing in one sense.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Doing this really makes me think more about my bag setup and what I "really" need when I go out and play. I haven't been outside of Alaska and played any DG since I became addicted last year. I plan on playing some tourneys outside in 2011 and I'm sure that'll give me another perspective if I have the chance to play all putter rounds on bigger courses. Either way, I've seen an improvement on my short game overall playing just putters.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Fritz » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:35 pm

Sean40474 wrote:Doing this really makes me think more about my bag setup and what I "really" need when I go out and play. I haven't been outside of Alaska and played any DG since I became addicted last year. I plan on playing some tourneys outside in 2011 and I'm sure that'll give me another perspective if I have the chance to play all putter rounds on bigger courses. Either way, I've seen an improvement on my short game overall playing just putters.

You will also see an improvement in your long game as well. Putters teach you disc control.
I played an entire year with nothing but my putter (minus the tournaments I was in) and it was extremely helpful.
Good luck in 2k11.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Star Shark » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:05 pm

I don't go Putter Only. I go Shark Only. One disc. That's it. I've shot -2 at Sylmar with just a Shark. That's 3 off my best there although I could see shooting 8 or 9 down if I played perfect

It really shows you how worthless your entire bag is. I carry 19 discs, granted lots of multiples and I really don't need any of them.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby sloppydisc » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:51 am

I'll try to make a small contribution here as a DGR noob, and a relatively new player. About 2 years.

I went through the typical progression of meat hooking Valk's and Orcs while throwing 150', to gradually learning what I didn't know, and couldn't do. So last year I started playing some putter only rounds and putter and mid only rounds. It really helped me improve my control and feel with my putter. I started making more long putts and approach shots. Scores went down. Great!! One problem. I played all those putter rounds on a fairly short, wooded course. So, I basically learned how to throw my putter 200'. Still useful, but not what I was looking for. So, in my experience it would be better to take the putter round to all courses, or at least your average length course. Or maybe the practice field. Learn to throw it farther as well as accurately. Don't use just pull out the mid or driver on the long holes. Suffer through those drives with your putter.
sloppydisc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Fritz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:33 am

This advice is key. Stick through the frustration of a higher than normal score. Keep score as a means to gauge improvement, not how well you did on the course.
sloppydisc wrote: Don't use just pull out the mid or driver on the long holes. Suffer through those drives with your putter.

As to what Shark said, not really on the bag of discs not being needed. A lot of the discs have their place. I'd like to see a round played in a medium to heavy headwind or strong tailwind with your shark. It would be very difficult.
However, learning to play with just the shark really makes you think about the shot, the placement of the shot and the power control needed to get that shark to do what you want.

The Putter Only idea is the same principal. It teaches you; (the same could be said of mid-range only, but putters are less forgiving)

Wrist Mechanics
Power Control
Accuracy
Grip Control
Body Control and the necessity of fluid body motion and pull back, follow through and clean release of your shots.
It also teaches you a very important aspect of the game; Course and Mental Management
It will also open your mind to thinking about the hole itself and other routes you might not have seen before.

I could easily shoot par on any given course with my putter. In fact I would be disappointed if I didn't.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:21 pm

Fritz wrote:This advice is key. Stick through the frustration of a higher than normal score. Keep score as a means to gauge improvement, not how well you did on the course.

This is especially fun when you plan to play a putter only round and end up meeting some guys to play for tags. And take their tags and money with just your putters :twisted:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:55 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:
Fritz wrote:This advice is key. Stick through the frustration of a higher than normal score. Keep score as a means to gauge improvement, not how well you did on the course.

This is especially fun when you plan to play a putter only round and end up meeting some guys to play for tags. And take their tags and money with just your putters :twisted:

Definitely. I'm sure Joel has done that plenty of times lol.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I haven't seen joel throw his putters (I assume qmega?) of the tee much. Seems to stick to his qms for that kind of shot. It also doesn't help the only time I have played with him in the last 3 years was at the Birds Nest Big Arm Challenge (only 3 holes under 450'), where nothing but distance drivers were thrown off the tee all day.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:19 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:I haven't seen joel throw his putters (I assume qmega?) of the tee much. Seems to stick to his qms for that kind of shot. It also doesn't help the only time I have played with him in the last 3 years was at the Birds Nest Big Arm Challenge (only 3 holes under 450'), where nothing but distance drivers were thrown off the tee all day.

Sweet Sweet Q-mega's at that. Yeah, I wasn't in town the week that happened. I really wanted to come play it.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Fritz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:20 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:I haven't seen joel throw his putters (I assume qmega?) of the tee much. Seems to stick to his qms for that kind of shot. It also doesn't help the only time I have played with him in the last 3 years was at the Birds Nest Big Arm Challenge (only 3 holes under 450'), where nothing but distance drivers were thrown off the tee all day.

Sweet Sweet Q-mega's at that. Yeah, I wasn't in town the week that happened. I really wanted to come play it.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:09 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:

I know, I love it! Other guys are like "you're throwing a putter on this hole?"

I do agree with what was said earlier about putter only rounds and playing every single course you normally play. Take the score only for metric to verify progress whether it is negative or positive. It is all raw data that can tell you a lot if you look at it the correct way. Don't get caught up in the fact that isn't your best score or close to your average; that is not what the experiment is about.

Regardless of what happens, you'll be better with a putter as far as control and distance are concerned. Barring extenuating circumstances, you'll also learn how much of your bag you don't need a lot of times.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Next

Return to Disc Golf Review Training Assignments