Drive Analysis - Any Advice?

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Drive Analysis - Any Advice?

Postby Chadi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:33 am

I feel like I've come a long way since the last time I saught technique help (see BRP video with Dan, Steve, and Jayne). I was able to hit 440' consistently over the summer and can likely reach 450's now. I'm fairly happy with my throwing form but I definitely I wouldn't mind any tips to push it up a bit more.

70%: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9lpZWywxUQ
70%: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjGfAxB_C8
80%: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTQKTxTeNDQ
100%: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bskHNLeqEm4
Chadi
Noob

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Re: Drive Analysis - Any Advice?

Postby JR » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:39 am

What happens when you plant the final step two-three inches to the right and planting the x step about 8" to the left? You really don't kick hard with the left leg. It doesn't have a lot of sole to ground contact from which to push forward. Have you tried to throw with more weight forward? You will eventually or soon gain D from taking run up steps before executing the x step. In the x step turning the back and the heel toward the target, and optionally the shoulders even more away from the target, will give more distance potential. It's a matter of muscle power and balance to keep you upright and in proper body positions throughout the throw. Also timing and aiming will be different so it's likely that all but the most athletically gifted will take steps back before they will gain distance. Field practice is about mandatory to improving and being able to use such a demanding form.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Beetard » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:51 pm

Were you the guy in the red shirt in the blue ribbon pines vid?

In regards to this drive analysis, goddamn, son!

It looks like you throw nothing, and then the disc flies away. That's when you know you're launching it like a pro.
Throw # 1 was sickness. That is what it looks like when the big dogs rip one.

While I can offer no advice as my technique is complete shit, I do congratulate you.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Chadi » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Thanks Bee. Yeah, the guy in the red was me Spring '09. I did a lot of reading on these forums, a lot of watching videos, and got some advice from Beato and Blake.

I had a feeling I had some footwork issues, especially with widening my steps. Unfortunately there's a few feet of snow on the ground and boots do a fantastic job of hindering good footwork. Thanks for your criticism/advice though, if there's anything else worth me mulling over till fields thaw don't hesitate to add input. Also, I tend to rip off my ring finger instead of my index finger. Is that a problem?
Chadi
Noob

Postby masterbeato » Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:09 pm

Chadi wrote: Also, I tend to rip off my ring finger instead of my index finger. Is that a problem?

that will take power away. if you would like to get a lot more D, rip off your index. it will be easiest to learn by gripping the disc with just a two finger grip as you are in the field: index finger on the rim with your middle finger stacked on top, or just a plain old 2 finger grip with both index finger and middle finger pads on the rim. either one will work just find the one you find more success with. i like the index with the middle finger stacked on top since you have absolutely no choice but to rip off of the index.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Beetard » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Chadi, would you mind walking us through the process of how you developed your now superb form?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:12 pm

Wow, the beato influence is very apparent.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Chadi » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:06 pm

Beetard wrote:Chadi, would you mind walking us through the process of how you developed your now superb form?

I have no idea what particular things I did to develop my throwing form, it came very gradually. I was shocked at how much different I look now compared to the BRP footage. I can try to describe things that may or may not have helped, although I think a lot of it came either naturally or from watching videos.

The most beneficial changes were probably learning how to throw with a shortened reach back and keeping a good center of balance. I struggled with right pec drills but I was able to throw a condensed shot nearly full distance with hardly any reach back, never passing my left pec/stomach. I made a conscious effort to keep the disc on a straight line to the target that passed tight to my chest. I focused a lot on keeping my balance throughout the throw, so momentum goes into the throw instead of over the tee. I also learned how to generate power with my body from multiple sources, like generating power from the legs to throw a spike and from the shoulders to throw an annhyzer (in first two videos I'm throwing hyzer flips and the second two videos I'm throwing annhyzers - the follow throughs are MUCH different.)

Jeronimo wrote:Wow, the beato influence is very apparent.

I'll give credit where credit is due. I think Blake and Beato had much more influence then they realize.
Chadi
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:39 pm

Now you know the need for balance. The next step is to add more reach back without losing balance, timing and explosiveness of the acceleration without compromising body positions aka losing balance. Christian Sandström the distance record holder has an advert of his video up where he demonstrates a symmetrical(balanced x step, pivot and follow through step. If it is good for an 820' shot it may be good to utilize it on shorter throws as well 8)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby anubis080 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:14 pm

it looks like you have great rotation, awesome job with the distance dude. I think the one thing that could use improvement is a weight transfer on the front foot. You have the ability to fall back which, to me, means that you are not shifting your weight forward very hard, which would give you even more power than what you already have!
Halo, PD, Leopard, Buzzz, Hornet, Wizard
anubis080
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD, Hornet, Wizard

Postby Monocacy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:53 pm

Sweet throws! Nothing useful to add, except that I would be delighted with, oh, 75% of your distance (but I’m a creaky old fart). Seriously – any tips on how and what you learned would be appreciated.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Video Critique