Returning, feeling instant pain.

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Returning, feeling instant pain.

Postby tigel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:02 am

I took a very long break, roughly eight months, with a few rounds in between. I stretch before I go out and throw, and I've been in fairly good shape sense I stopped playing disc golf. However, I'm wanting to get back into disc golf for the new 2011 season and I'm in a bit of a rut.

Last week was my first time throwing in awhile, I stretched well, and started with a few mids, and then drivers. Slowly building up my run up back to normal. I knew I'd be rusty, so I thought throwing 5-6 at 50% power would help my muscles break in. (I'm assuming I'm gonna have to throw a lot more at that power to recover)

Anyways, After my first couple drives, I instantly felt pain in my wrist, elbow, and shoulder. This is RHBH drives. So I tried two light forehand drives and the pain was even worse. That didn't surprise me because before I quit, I threw a lot of overhands, and forehands, to the point of needing to stop before I injured myself more.

It seems silly, but I do I need to start working those muscles more, and after a month or so, start throwing again? Should I drive with very little power for awhile? I want to get into the sport again but the instant pain I'm feeling has made me walk off the course after hole 2...

On a side note, it's good to be back :lol: :lol:
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Re: Returning, feeling instant pain.

Postby JR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:56 am

Do you have a diagnosis of what causes your pain from a medical professional? If the injury persists after so much time something may be wrong with you and even if it isn't bad you may need rehab so getting a correct program to follow is crucial if there are injuries to heal. I wouldn't push through pain because most things should heal in that time and those that don't are probably bad and dangerous and may need treatment. I've got a scar to show so i know what i'm talking about regarding one injury in the throwing arm.

Low power requirement discs may still hurt you if you're still injured. But it may also help you to tell if you must see a doctor. If you get pain from a putter toss at 10 % power after so much time go see a doc ASAP. If you can throw at 80 % mids may work too. Starting out slow is great because your body will adapt and burn off fuzz. Your warm up did sound way too short. 6 throws at half the power is nothing and it's easy to get pain even in summer warmth going to 100 % especially if you haven't warmed up a lot or stretched. Especially if you're not flexible. So start easy. Liz Carr suggested a 5 minute jog before a tourny to warm you up. Not a bad idea. Edit: I sawe in another thread that Tigel hurt his feet so that needs to be considered in the warm up routine.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:04 am

Make sure you are following through well. After my hiatus i gave myself tendonitis. Then took more time off. I worked on my form, focused on my follow through, and eased myself back into playing 72+holes a day. (some days) Now I am back to throwing 95% as far as I was when I stopped. And with new discs that came out in between, I am probably throwing just as far, if not a hair further :shock:
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby JR » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Follow through is a must for not just adding power and control but dissipating the generated powerover a period of time not coming to an abrupt stop which will hurt even healthy players. The same goes for pivoting with the plant step.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby tigel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:19 pm

I think I'm having trouble with my follow through. Obviously my form was hurt in the break, so going into it, I just wanted to focus on snap, but i think I'm putting a ton of OAT in my form without realizing it. I think the best thing to do is to start from scratch, like I've never thrown 450 before :p Thanks guys for the help, I'm keep you all posted :)
KC aviar | Roc | Teebird | Cyclone | Orc |predator| QOLS
tigel
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Trey133 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:53 pm

Go find a flippy roc and work on hyzer flipping it without turning it into the ground. That will start to get your form back on track without hurting your joints in the process.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby CatPredator » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:19 am

The wrist, elbow, and shoulder are not good areas to be feeling pain. Repetitive stress and overuse injuries, like the kind baseball pitchers, tennis players, and overhand/forehand disc golfers suffer, can be serious. If you can do a moderate workout over a full range of motion with your right arm, pain free, you are probably ok to throw. If the pain makes you want to quit, it's probably not something should power through.

Only you are going to be able to feel how serious the injury might be but I'd see a doctor if you continue to have doubts.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby JR » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:16 pm

I know from experience that a damaged joint can feel pain free for weeks without use and when you throw the first throw can be too much. I needed surgery and will never be totally pain free. My nerves are still pinched by the scarring from the injury and that'll also drop finesse via the loss of fine motor control. When i get tired. The dull pain and tingling and partial feeling loss do as much damage to putts and touch approaches as it does to spirits. When i know that i'm downhill and probably won't be able to keep up the best kind of performance. No way to push then. This is why a correct diagnose and the proper rehab plan is needed. I don't wish this to anyone so don't follow in my steps if you can avoid it. By the way don't play after taking pain meds. Joint damage and pain will be worse for it because you can exercise without pain and the resultant inflammation and swelling will show up only on the next day and then you're out for weeks on end if you've got it as bad as i did. I had this even after surgery but with faster recovering. I've been out for half a year in a row. Then a few months of recovery then again three months out :-( Don't push until you've been told to do it. You don't need another season off until it's what your doc says to do. Then you may need another opinion and optional other treatments.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Jeronimo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:23 pm

Welcome back tigel
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby seabas22 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:46 pm

What you are describing doesn't sound good. The question is did you get a diagnosis when you stopped? It sounds most likely to be nerve pinching since its affects multiple joints in the arm and the pain seems to go away quickly, but comes right back when throwing hard. It could be really bad RSI of the tendons, or some kind of disease, but doesn't sound nearly as likely.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:00 am

Pinched nerves can send more pain elsewhere than the injured place. The injured place can be nearly trouble free feeling wise until the inflammation gets bad. Then you'll know where the damage is. Or at least in which places it could be in. OTOH i had atypical pains in atypical places at atypical age so i wasn't taken seriously prior to having my nerve conductivity measured. Still the responses were way less severe looking than the trauma was once i finally got under the knife.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seabas22 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:57 pm

Thoracic Outlet Syndrome (TOS) is a condition that affects the shoulder, arm and hand. It is characterized by pain, weakness and numbness in these areas. TOS occurs when the 5 major nerves and 2 main arteries that leave the neck become compressed between the two scalene muscles in the front of the neck and the first rib. TOS is caused by repetitive actions with the arms held overhead or extended forward, which can result in irritation and compression in this area. In addition, Forward Head Posture, slouching or dropping the shoulders forward can cause tension in the muscles at the side of the neck, which constricts arteries and nerves and contributes to TOS. Other causes of TOS include an extra first rib or an old collarbone fracture, since these both limit space in this region. Injuries that tear the scalene muscles of the neck, such as whiplash, can lead to a buildup of scar tissue, which also restricts space around the nerves and arteries, leading to TOS.

Symptoms of TOS can include pain, weakness, numbness, tingling, swelling, fatigue, or coldness in arms and hands. Waking up with a "dead arm" is also characteristic of TOS. TOS is often difficult to diagnose since its symptoms mimic those of other conditions, such as Herniated Cervical Disk, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, or bursitis of the shoulder.

People at risk for developing TOS include people whose occupations involve repetitive actions with the arms extended, such as computer users, waiters and painters.

Prevention of TOS includes taking frequent breaks from repetitive tasks, doing stretching and strengthening exercises for the back, neck and shoulders, adopting an ergonomic workstation arrangement, practicing proper posture at the computer, and by limiting the amount of time spent with arms extended or doing repetitive tasks.

Treatment for TOS includes rest, doing stretching and strengthening exercises for the back, neck and shoulders, adopting an ergonomic workstation arrangement, and using proper posture at the computer. Depending on the cause, physical therapy, chiropractic care, or medication may be useful.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Cervical Radiculopathy means “pinched nerve.” It presents with pain in shoulder, elbow, or forearm. The pain often has a burning quality. A patients may have numbness in the elbow, forearm, or hand. Sometimes the pain is increased with straining (coughing, sneezing, bowel movement).

Physical exam will be aimed at demonstrating nerve root compression. Many different maneuvers may be done by physicians. Assessment of muscle strength and reflexes is also important.

Imaging procedures such as MRI or electrical tests may also be useful.

Treatment includes rest (sometimes using a soft cervical collar), anti inflammatory drugs, and physical therapy. Traction, transcutaneous nerve stimulation, and moist heat supplemented by a stretching and strengthening exercise program are warranted for people with continuing discomfort.

Surgery is indicated if pain prevents patient from functioning, or if there is spinal cord compression, or weakness.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby Bernardo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:10 am

Hmmm in this scenario physical therapy really helped to heal pain but as u know its a expensive treatment and most of the insurance companies does not cover this treatment........
Bernardo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Banceyy

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury