Snowboarding!

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Snowboarding!

Postby Beetard » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:00 am

I went for the first time last weekend. It is the coolest shit ever. Fell down a lot at first because I didn't know how to do anything other than zoom down the hill until I wiped out, but then when a guy told me that the best way to learn control was with the falling leaf exercise, I started to figure out how the snowboard works.

Can't wait to go back and work on it some more. Just one time and I'm already obsessed with and trying to figure out how to make extra money so I can afford to snowboard regularly.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Re: Snowboarding!

Postby Beetard » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:56 pm

What, no one else likes snowboarding or has anything at all to say about it?
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:09 pm

Snowboarding is okay, but I vastly prefer skis. More flexible and when the good guys are spending some time aloft they look about a billion times more interesting than snowboarders.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Wyno » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:43 pm

I've just picked up both skiing and snowboarding again, grew up just a cuple of hundred feet from a ski lift, and we had free access, so that was shat I did 2-5 days a week up until I was 19... It was good to se that I've still got it :)
Anyway, Snowboarding for me is for powder and woods, I missed out on the whole park/pipe thingie... but in deep powder there's nothing like floating on a snowboard.
On a prepped course, or in old snow, skis are better,
Also, I agree with jubb, jumps are more fun on skis :)
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby jubuttib » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:05 pm

Wyno, wyno, wyno... You've got it all wrong my friend. The deep stuff is not for boards... The deep stuff is for TELEMARK! Free heel's + lotsa powder = *glee* =)

I'd also take (even regular) skis over board in the woods anytime.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Wyno » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:56 am

Never got into telemark... it seemed fun in a nostalgic, drop-out-of-the-equipment-war-and-just-have-fun sort of way, but now I don't see the point any more? Most of my friends who used to telemark have stopped as well, even an ex-world champion :shock: He's usually found on randonnée-equipment these days, with a fixed heel when going down the hill.
Anyway, I heartily disagree with you, snowboarding in deep powder is bliss, so effortless and smooth it can never be surpassed by skis of any kind :wink:
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby roman » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:26 pm

Snowboarding is the reason I stop playing disc golf (and frequenting this forum) in the winter. Just got back from Aspen/Snowmass. Great snow this year.

I was on skis until I was about 10 then took a long break, when I got back on the mountain at 17 I started snowboarding and have been ever since. I thought it was more fun, but now I see some kids doing pretty crazy stuff on those freestyle skis. I still prefer to keep my legs tied together. Seen too many people pull their groin or twist their knees on skis.

Telemark is always fun to watch. My leg muscles get sore just thinking about it.
roman
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:18 am

I am going the first time this season tomorrow, I love it, have done it for years, but don't get to go often enough (if my knees could take it) I was a sponsored skateboarder for a while, and picked up snowboarding for a while, and its awesome, but my knees cannot take much of either in excess. . .
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby John Rock » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:38 pm

Been twice this year after a 6 season lay-off.
**POINT OF INTEREST** I've ridden a lot of chairlifts in my time, with a lot of different people, and a lot of different ski hills, but this last time out I got to ride up the hill on a quad chair with my wife and the 2 boys, all on snowboards! Highlight of my snowsports life.
John Rock
Noob

Favorite Disc: 86 mold softie

Postby BradC » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:47 pm

Once or twice a year boarder here.

Very fun, just can't cough up the money to buy gear AND lift tickets all winter, I'm a cheap-ass, what can I say!
BradC
Noob

Postby Beetard » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm trying to get some cash to go again. I want to go to Perfect North Slopes on my spring break. I hope they've still got some snow March 7th, because I'm counting down the weeks; 3 more after this one!
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.