run-up

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

run-up

Postby Smyith » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:49 pm

i've been watching the vids of drives and noticed that everyone i saw does a run-up of some sort before their x-step.

soes this actually give any real advantage to distance or power. i can see that maybe there might be a momentum advantage.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:36 pm

I take an extra step or two depending on type of throw from Knife hyzer to Sky Roller. Really the extra steps just help me get my body in motion creating an overall smoother step. I also use the step to help line me up.

For throws with alot of hyzer or alot of anhyzer I use two extra steps to help line my run up at about a 45 degree angle or more from the target.

If its a straighter run up, for instance anywhere where the entire runup is on the tee pad corner to corner ect. I only use the one extra step to keep my run up and follow through smooth.

alright I think all im trying to say is it helps me keep rythem in my run up
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:17 am

I have a 3-step run up. About a year or so ago, I had been working on my run up until I read one of Blake's articles (or posts) about diminishing returns. So I quit worrying about it.

I do find that on the long holes, I take more than 3 steps. I "run into" my run up. I just try to keep it smooth and fluid. Before, when I was thinking about the run up, it would throw off my concentration. Now, I try to let it be a muscle memory thing.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Goob The Noob » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:08 am

I throw with no run up. Partly due to logic and partly due to environment. The simple theory that the more moving parts you have, the higher the chance of something going wrong. I developed my style playing on snow and ice where there was no option of a run up.
Goob The Noob
Noob

Postby evilee13 » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:46 pm

After reading this thread, I decided to practice a bigger run up. I throw with just a basic x step and that's it. I practiced adding 2 lead steps before the x step, and I immediately added distance with the first throw. I threw for maybe 30 mins and was throwing it farther than I ever had.

Thanks run up!
evilee13
Noob

Postby garublador » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:53 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:alright I think all im trying to say is it helps me keep rythem in my run up

Same here. I only take extra steps to help with my rythem. If I try and add momentum by moving my body forward faster I just screw up my throw.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby DiscCrusher » Thu Mar 09, 2006 3:02 pm

I decided to add some leading steps before my x-step today. Instantly added 20-30 feet to my drive. I'm not quite as comfortable as just doing my classic x-step from the back of the pad, but the extra distance speaks for its self. This is something I'm going to incorporate into all my distance drives assuming good conditions.
DiscCrusher
Noob

Return to Technique