Pretty cool if ya ask me.
http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: 3d Printing

Postby J-Bolt » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:56 am

Agreed. While it still is too expensive for a casual user to produce, the idea/implications are awesome.
J-Bolt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Vacant

Postby Dig It » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 am

My co-worker is actually a 3D modeler on Shapeways and one of his hobby groups is a RepRap meeting group. They just completed the build of their RepRap machine. I have been working with him to make me a few scaled down Wizard putter key chains/bag tags!
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:23 am

Dig It wrote:My co-worker is actually a 3D modeler on Shapeways and one of his hobby groups is a RepRap meeting group. They just completed the build of their RepRap machine. I have been working with him to make me a few scaled down Wizard putter key chains/bag tags!

Awesome! Dibs if you make extra...

What if you could use 3d printing on a larger scale to make buildings with little waste generated.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby Itchy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:12 pm

I've got a buddy with a MakerBot and he just uses it to make platic protos, then sand casts them in bronze for art work he does. Pretty cool and I've begged him into making me robot parts, but so far I haven't come up with anything DG related to do with it... the prints are pretty rough.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Why hasn't anyone mentioned doing discs with it yet? That's the first thing I'd do...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Itchy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:21 pm

Because the prints are purdy dang rough and you only have one choice of [crumby] plastic.

example
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dig It » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:48 pm

jubuttib wrote:Why hasn't anyone mentioned doing discs with it yet? That's the first thing I'd do...

So I asked my co-worker this and he hit his note pad with some algebra/geometry and figured it out.

If you were to make a Wizard, just one disc which is 217 cubic cm, using this technology and the cheapest material you can (which would make R-Pro look like concrete) would cost $215 for just one disc. If you used the best material they have (at least for disc making) it would cost $327 for one Wizard. Also, that Wizard that just cost $327 now weighs 200g and is not PDGA approved. You wouldn't actually be able to make a disc that was PDGA approved using these machines.

After seeing Itchy's post I will specify that using RepRap you cannot and he gives a good example why, but my post is more along the lines of the machines they use at ShapeWays which is a different technology and/or method.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:51 pm

... Damn.

How the hell can it be that expensive?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:51 pm

We had a 3D printer in our building when I was in college. Most of the the majors in there had super limited access to that kind of equipment, but us in Industrial Design had almost unlimited access to it.
Ours used a starch based chemical. It wasn't horribly expensive but for a college student working 20 hours a week it was a little pricey. If I had to afford it now I probably could. We used it for prototypes tho. It wasn't for fully functional parts. It was pretty wicked tho. One guy actually made a ball bearing that was functional and would rotate. It was pretty sweet.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby Dig It » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:16 pm

Found a link you guys can check out. The disc is certainly not made for Disc Golf but they did 3D print a Frizbee.
http://i.materialise.com/blog/entry/cus ... ted-frisme
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Itchy » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Yeah, I'd hazard to guess that they made that with an industrial 3d printer and not a hobby machine. Which drives up price but gives better results. Still not something you can do at home. The Industrial Engineer in me wonders what their machine looks like/costs.
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dig It » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:03 pm

Itchy wrote:Yeah, I'd hazard to guess that they made that with an industrial 3d printer and not a hobby machine. Which drives up price but gives better results. Still not something you can do at home. The Industrial Engineer in me wonders what their machine looks like/costs.

They at i.Materialize use the same machine they use at Shapeways (one of the guys in the video started Shapeways and went to i.M). The machine they use is called a Selective Laser Sintering 3D printer and is pretty industrial. Here is a video of one being used and sorry the video is as dry as the powder they use. :/ You can google the SLS term and maybe find some prices.

What would be cool if you had a couple thousand in disposable income is make a Titanium/Steel disc with your specifications from a 3D company and use that to make a reverse mold that you use rubber/polymers in. Ship one to the PDGA for $300 and BAM have your own disc company of PDGA approved discs.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.