What driver?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What driver?

Postby jase » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:41 am

[color=blue] The title says it all. What disc would you prefer. I am in need of a new driver and wondering what one to get. I want it to be over 170 g. The discs I already have for drivers are a Beast and a Roc. Help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.[/blue]
jase
Noob

Postby jase » Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:42 am

Whoops. Didn't get that color code right did I? :roll:
jase
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Jun 09, 2004 2:17 pm

i think the close command is [/color]

before i give any recommendations...

how far do you throw on average with the beast?

what is your preferred line? (low line drive, big s-curve, etc.)

what is your preferred angle of release? (flat, hyzer, anhyzer)
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby AciDBatH666 » Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:50 pm

Yeah need some info on yer style...
I throw a lotta Innova's that have a -1 high speed turn, and then end up overstable....I just use different discs for certain things.

But my friend that i play a lot with prefers Very Overstable discs that he throws with a lotta Anhyzer. Different styles to get the same thing done.

Tell us what you are comfortable with and it'll make a recomendation even better suited for yer style.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby jase » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:04 pm

on average i throw around 250' with my beast. my preferred line is a low line drive
jase
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:36 pm

i guess next question... champion/pro line beast or dx?

imo, w/ 250' power, the beast is probably too fast of a disc to get max D with. i throw about 350' and i consider them too fast for me... but a lot of that is my throwing style.

generally, i separate drivers into groups that i recommend as minimum power levels.

225-275'
cheetah, gazelle, leopard, xl, polaris ls, raven, sabre, bomb

275-325'
cyclone, eagle, teebird, valkyrie, xs, jls

325'+
wildcat, beast, viking, orc, illusion, talon, flash, predator, crush, spirit, reaper, x2

the two components of consideration are stability and speed. i would just be wary over discs that are overly fast or overstable... as they can lead to tendencies you may end up spending a lot of time having to repair in the long run.

the actual d difference will likely be around 10% between each group.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby garublador » Fri Jun 11, 2004 7:06 am

jase wrote:on average i throw around 250' with my beast. my preferred line is a low line drive

That's about what I throw. Right now when I want an accurate, straight shot I reach for my Leopard. I've also had good luck with the Cheetah and XL.

P.S. Do they have many courses around Watertown? My mom's from there so I end up going there for family reunions every couple of years.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby DrFelatio » Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:47 pm

From what it sounds like to me, a cheetah or a gazelle would work well for you Jase (go with whatever Blake suggests though cause he really knows his stuff :D ). These are pretty much the same disc (though I've found the cheetah is a bit straighter with its left fade coming a bit later in its flight). These discs are very controllable, straight fliers with a slight left fade at the end. They aren't nearly as fast as your Beast but with good technique you shouldn't have any problems getting them out to 250-275'. When I started I threw Gazelles and now that my technique has improved I still throw my Gazelles when I need a good controlled 300' fairway drive.
DrFelatio
Noob

Return to Equipment