MCL Sprain

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

MCL Sprain

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:45 am

Last night at putting league I bent down to pick up a putter and I guess I twisted the wrong way on it. I felt two pops in my knee and was down for the count. I hobbled my way to a chair and iced it for five or so minutes and then felt fine....until this morning. It hurts like a motherfucker right now. From what I read I sprained my MCL. I am following the RICE method right now as from what I read that is treatment for level 1 and 2 sprains. It hurts on the inside of my knee and isn't swelled very much at all. Any other suggestions for treatment would be much appreciated.
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: MCL Sprain

Postby CatPredator » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:51 am

Take some ibuprofen, get a brace on it to immobilize it as much as possible, and go to a doctor if you have insurance.

A bad knee sprain may require a lengthy recovery (5+ days) with full immobilization of the knee. A doctor's note is helpful if you have any responsibilities or obligations you won't be able to meet. It sounds like you suffered a mild sprain (still very painful in the knee) but if you did have significant tearing you want to get it healed correctly the first time. Improper recovery and rehab can lead to long term chronic problems.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Robin Hood » Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:14 am

Yeah, i think it's a mild sprain as well. It actually hurts more when I have it elevated. I can still put all my weight on it and move it but it does hurt a lil when I bend it. I'm gonna go with the RICE method for a few days(if that doesn't work its doctor time) and not do anything strenuous for a few weeks. Hopefully, It's only a level 1 sprain.
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Postby seabas22 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:21 pm

When you elevate the knee, make sure the knee is well supported. Don't just put your foot up on something and leave the knee under stress. You can sit or lie down and just put a pillow or two under the knee so it shapes an upside down V.

Also protect your knee with a brace or wrap, i.e. the PRICE method. That should help with healing, pain, and protecting the knee. Don't try to rush back from a knee sprain, it can take 3 weeks for grade I, and 6-8 weeks to recover from grade II. If you can put all you weight on your knee its not likely to be a grade III. Proper rehab and strengthening exercises would also be a good idea once the pain has gone away.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby Robin Hood » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:09 pm

Thanks for the info Seabas. It's been 72 hours since the sprain and I'm feeling good. The first 24 hours were the worst. No matter what I did it hurt. Since then, it's been rainbows and unicorns. I am walking fine on it without pain. It hurts if I try to pivot on it but that seems normal since it's still healing. other than that it's like it never happened. I'm going to keep away from stress on it for at least 3 weeks then start a rehab routine.
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury