What happened to Salomons?

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What happened to Salomons?

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:36 am

Everybody used to wear Salomons, and now I rarely see them or hear about them around disc golf. It seems that I hear only negative things about Keens, even though I know they do good things for sponsorships and tournaments and such. Why did Salomons fall out of praise?
__________________________________________________

Fritz wrote:Play with Jimmy, he is cool as hell!

Aviars / Rocs / Whippets / Gators / Leopards / TLs / Teebirds / Eagle-X's / Firebirds

My Trade/Sale list:
Jimmy's Trade/Sale List
Jimmy
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 642
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Las Vegas

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby dgdave » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:09 am

I wear them for my everyday shoe. I love them. I got a pait of keens after my second pair of salomons because the Milo was supposed to be a disc golf shoe. I will get another pair of salomons when my keens give out.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General
User avatar
 
Posts: 12099
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:22 pm
Location: Central OK
Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby turso » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:08 am

Fads wear out, but Salomons still are gold. I have a pair of XA PRO 3D ULTRA GTX's that are the most bestest shoe to have hugged my feet.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.


NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: Finland, Kuopio
Favorite Disc: My first putter

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby Eric O » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:36 am

Good question. I don't really know the whole answer but here's maybe a piece of it. A local golfer used to be a Solomon rep and as a result had lots of DG events in the area sponsored by Solomon. He now works for Keen, and since then Keen has been doing the partnerships with local events, including the Beaver State Fling NT. I figured this was most of the reason but I assumed it was a regional thing. It's kinda too bad because imo Solomon makes a far superior shoe to Keen.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:46 am

Eric O wrote:It's kinda too bad because imo Solomon makes a far superior shoe to Keen.


No, wrong, absolutely not, negative. They're on par. The only advantage Salomon has is they'll replace your pair WHEN you blow them out in 4-5 months.

To the OP question though: They're made for people with skinny feet so the hell with Salomon.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby Robin Hood » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:31 am

I never had good luck with Salomons. They shredded within week of getting each pair I had. As far as Keen goes, My Milos rips in 8 rounds but my replacement Obsidians are holding up well.
Force/Tracker/Hornet/Buzzz/Comet/Zone/Challenger
Robin Hood
Tree Magnet
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:16 pm
Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby Eric O » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:59 am

Jeronimo wrote:
Eric O wrote:It's kinda too bad because imo Solomon makes a far superior shoe to Keen.


No, wrong, absolutely not, negative. They're on par. The only advantage Salomon has is they'll replace your pair WHEN you blow them out in 4-5 months.

Well for one, that is a pretty big advantage if you are implying that Keen won't honor their warranty after 4-5 months. For another, thanks for telling me that what I stated as my opinion is absolutely wrong. I'm still sticking with it anyway until most of the evidence I see no longer supports it. Thanks for the assist though.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:22 pm
Location: Portland, OR

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby Timko » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:30 am

I have 2 pair of XT Wings that I use for golf 8 months out of the year (when there's not snow on the ground). Hands down the most comfortable golf shoes I've owned.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth
User avatar
 
Posts: 7708
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby jnecessary » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:18 am

If you have skinny feet Salomon's are really great shoes.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator
User avatar
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:31 pm
Location: Iowa City
Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby Roy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:00 pm

I have 2 pair. One is a goretex hiker and the other is a mesh trailrunner.

I love them both. I got them on steepandcheap, but I havent seen much for shoes on there lately.
Roy
Colonel Cleavage
User avatar
 
Posts: 2311
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Practice

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby Jeronimo » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Eric O wrote:
Jeronimo wrote:
Eric O wrote:It's kinda too bad because imo Solomon makes a far superior shoe to Keen.


No, wrong, absolutely not, negative. They're on par. The only advantage Salomon has is they'll replace your pair WHEN you blow them out in 4-5 months.

Well for one, that is a pretty big advantage if you are implying that Keen won't honor their warranty after 4-5 months. For another, thanks for telling me that what I stated as my opinion is absolutely wrong. I'm still sticking with it anyway until most of the evidence I see no longer supports it. Thanks for the assist though.



Not a problem, I'm good for a rebound now and then.

No, but really I wasn't try to tell you your opinion was dumb. I was asserting my opinion by using yours as a reference. What I disagree with is that the Salomon is a "superior" shoe, I did however give major props to Salomon for standing behind their products by replacing them as experienced numerous times by members of this board. I've not heard of equal level customer service from Keen, though I've heard their customer service is better than average. To my point though, other than the Milo's I generally think keen's are made more rugged than Salomons. I have a pair of XT Wings GTX and a pair of Keen Obsidians, those shoes are fairly similar, however Salomon doesn't have anything as good as the Targhee II imo.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby bill » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:08 pm

i haven't owned any keen product but do have a pair of salomon x-adv clima-dry boots that are now over 10 years old. really no sign of wear on the soles and nothing has ever worn out on them. they don't breath well enough to wear in the warmer months but for winter they are a fantastic boot.

i haven't any other hiking shoes/boots that have lasted this long.
flow pd eagle leopard axis rattler ion
bill
Fairway Surgeon
User avatar
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:42 pm
Location: kansas city
Favorite Disc: eagle

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby Jeronimo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:56 pm

I would buy Salomon before I would buy North Face.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3602
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:53 am

for me they are some of the most comfortable but also have fairly shitty durability when it comes to DG, if the weather is too bad to wear my fivefingers im most likely rocking some Lowa hiking boots.......they are the shit
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar
User avatar
 
Posts: 8225
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:29 am
Location: *NorCal*
Favorite Disc: ROC

Re: What happened to Salomons?

Postby emiller3 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:05 am

I have two pairs of XT Wings, and yes, I have narrow feet. Great shoes, although I wouldn't say they are spectacular quality. They get me by, but the sole came loose on both in the same spot after a couple months (outside ball of my pivot foot, I have a flap hanging off both after repeated glue-ings). I'm interested in looking into something else, but it seems like everything out there has problems after a few months of disc.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:49 am
Location: CO
Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron