Nice Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Help me pick a warp speed driver for 2011

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:24 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:Slight changes for winter.

WINTER Rig:
2x wizards
1x star mako (broke a beat up dx rancho earlier this winter, not making that mistake again)
2x rocs (seasoned and new)
1x glow stalker
1x se leopard
3x pd (seasoned flat pink DGR p, newish green Freak p, green c)
1x champ boss

This has been working out wonderfully. Using the mako in the winter makes me feel confident that if I ever run out of trashed dx rocs, I can find something in premium plastic to get the job done (while I trash up another roc of course).

Soooo, my heavy DF champ boss has been holding me down in the flick department, I can can flick it 350+ feet consistently without too much trouble. It doesn't get toooo much work BH unless I'm trying to get a big skip or cut through some headwind. I have the arm for a warp speed disc (380'ish with PDs) and will be adding one in the spring when I get a bigger bag.

I've used the following warp speeders:
Wraith: 12x star, champ, pro
Pros
- Nice and controllable backhand.
- Different plastics yield different results: 12x - speedy and stable, champ - hyzer flippy outta the box, pro - bomber and rolls nicely
Cons
- Distance / speed overlaps with PDs
- Too finicky on hard FH shots

Boss: Heavy DH and Pro
Pros
- Long and controllable FH
- Perfectly seasoned pro boss is the longest thing I've ever thrown
- Awesome for BH skips, long hyzers and headwinds
Cons
- Not very versatile BH or FH. Often times will turn and burn if thrown with too much anny/power
- Have to throw near 100% power BH
- Perfectly seasoned pro bosses get trashed too quickly and are too flippy to be useful.

Drivers I'm Curious About:
- Destroyer
- PD2
- Flow
- Nuke

PS. The flat max weight DGR PDs are the mega (oYo)'s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I can continue to get PDs like that in the future. SO money right out of the box.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Re: Help me pick a warp speeder for the 2011 season.

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:32 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:Slight changes for winter.

WINTER Rig:
2x wizards
1x star mako (broke a beat up dx rancho earlier this winter, not making that mistake again)
2x rocs (seasoned and new)
1x glow stalker
1x se leopard
3x pd (seasoned flat pink DGR p, newish green Freak p, green c)
1x champ boss

This has been working out wonderfully. Using the mako in the winter makes me feel confident that if I ever run out of trashed dx rocs, I can find something in premium plastic to get the job done (while I trash up another roc of course).

Soooo, my heavy DF champ boss has been holding me down in the flick department, I can can flick it 350+ feet consistently without too much trouble. It doesn't get toooo much work BH unless I'm trying to get a big skip or cut through some headwind. I have the arm for a warp speed disc (380'ish with PDs) and will be adding one in the spring when I get a bigger bag.

I've used the following warp speeders:
Wraith: 12x star, champ, pro
Pros
- Nice and controllable backhand.
- Different plastics yield different results: 12x - speedy and stable, champ - hyzer flippy outta the box, pro - bomber and rolls nicely
Cons
- Distance / speed overlaps with PDs
- Too finicky on hard FH shots

Boss: Heavy DH and Pro
Pros
- Long and controllable FH
- Perfectly seasoned pro boss is the longest thing I've ever thrown
- Awesome for BH skips, long hyzers and headwinds
Cons
- Not very versatile BH or FH. Often times will turn and burn if thrown with too much anny/power
- Have to throw near 100% power BH
- Perfectly seasoned pro bosses get trashed too quickly and are too flippy to be useful.

Drivers I'm Curious About:
- Destroyer
- PD2
- Flow
- Nuke

I like to throw hyzer flips and value discs that are useful in multiple stages of wear.

PS. The flat max weight DGR PDs are the mega (oYo)'s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hope I can continue to get PDs like that in the future. SO money right out of the box.

PPS. I'm probably going to snag a Grip on the 2nd run.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:00 pm

DD2 is my favorite speed 13 disc for backhands.......i usually toss either a high PLH boss or a force for FH distance
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby JR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:23 am

I've never thrown Opto Flows in good conditions because the fall was well on its way when i got mine. It will be the straightest out of these and that alone is great. It is a tick more HSS than Beasts for me but i can't tell what the summer time D is relative to the others. I haven't thrown Hurricanes yet but it deserves a try as probably the next straightest disc out of these. Z Nuke is easier to flip than DD2 and both go as far after DD2 has been broken in but my Nuke is a few grams lighter than my Echo Star DD2 AKA ES-Line 175 DD2. From hearsay Hurricanes fades less than Destroyers. For different flight paths across the life cycle Pro Destroyers break in more from starting out more fading than Pro Bosses. Because the break in of the Pro Destroyer is fast it will soon be less overstable than Boss but also hellalong. The glide then is good with say 375' of D and up. Under 375' the fade will still sap D.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:03 am

JB, JR - Does the shallow rim of the DD2 bother you? I've handled a few a katanas (haven't thrown any) and don't care for the shallow rim, I might try it anyway.

I'm fine with high PLH bosses for my warp speed overstable so I guess I'm really just trying to get something straight & glidey to complement it with unless: 1- I find something better than the boss for boss duties, the PD2 looks like it can contend here. 2 - I find something that can do boss stuff but also beat in to be straight / glidey / finesse but discs like this don't exist.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:37 pm

The flat green ES-DD2s are more overstable than the others, and can do some of the same stuff ass champ Bosses (dunno about PLH though) and will probably beat into a more finesse type disc later on.

Pure guess work based on how the P-DD2 beats in with time...
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Nice Bag

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:37 am

I think I'll pickup a few PD2s, destroyers and flows to try out once it gets a bit warmer. As cold / snowy as it is these days I haven't been throwing my fast discs backhand at all really. I will also ask a local pro to try and toss his DD2s as I am afraid of the super shallow rim.

Played in an icebowl this past weekend and threw in an ontario roc in the place of my white mako (which is in place of beat ranchos). I dunno why ontario rocs get such a bad rap and comets get so much praise, a gently seasoned ontario roc flies beautifully.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:57 am

It's settled. Once my Grip bag comes in, the lineup is going to look something like this:

4 Wizards: putting only, overstable, straight, understable
3 rocs: understable, straight, overstable
1 z xtreme
1 se leopard
4 pds: trashed p, seasoned S, new S, cfr C
4 destroyers: flippy pro, seasoned echo, AJ star, champion

17 or so discs.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:29 am

Got my grip, lineup changed a bit:

5 wizards: 2 g9i's up top for putting only and 3 for driving/upshots (flippy, straight, beefy)
3 rocs: flippy/straight/beefy
1 TD
6 PDs: I could easily take it down to 4 if I want but I'm carrying an extra P and S to start breaking in for backups. The core PDs are my trashed roller p, beatish red champystar, overstable white and cfr cpd.
1 beat up pro wraith
3 destroyers: newish pro, beat e* and newish AJ
1 PD2

I'm trading for a few nukes soon and I think once I get them I will take out the pro destroyer and e* destroyer to add 2 nukes.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:47 am

5 wizards: 2 175 G9i's for putting duties only and 3 for driving and approaching: flippy/straight/overstable
3 Rocs: Trashed 180 glow / Straight 180 11x / Newish 180 11x
1 175 SE Leo
5 PDs: trashed 171 p-PD, newish 172 p-pd, seasoned 175 red DGR champy star ($$$$$$), overstable 175 DGR s-PD, 175 CFR c-PD
1 pretty beat 172 pro wraith
3 Destroyers: newish 175 pro, seasoned 170 vulcan topped E*, newish 170 AJ* (SDS) destroyer
1 CPD-2: newish

Traded for a glow nuke but ended up not really liking it, it didn't fly like the production znukes and seemed really nose angle sensitive. I think I'm going to stick with an array of destroyers as they are really working for me right now. Depending on how the pro destroyer beats in, it might replace my beat pro wraith for rollers and monster hyzer flip turnovers. The 170 AJ SDS destroyer is really really stable and is taking a lot of time away from my CPD2 as they fly pretty damn similar.

I guess that's about it. I lost my champystar s-PD after league night last week and was really sad until I came back and found it the next day, it's my favorite disc in my bag.

Concerning the Grip Eq bag: I'm loving it so far and have absolutely no issues thus far concerning construction (second run). It holds just the right amount of discs and other BS for me and feels super light when the chest strap is fastened down. I've had a few opportunities to use it in the rain and the rainfly works perfectly and keeps the discs very dry. As of now, I am a very satisfied customer.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:15 pm

Tossed the mako back in the bag to protect my beat rocs from the cold. I forgot how much I liked that thing, now to get one that isn't white...
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:20 am

I want one of these so bad...
Image???
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

MVP?

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:16 am

Messed around with some MVP stuff and ended up liking it.

2 - 175 big G wizards: putting only
1 - 175 seasoned glow wiz: approaches
2 - 170 soft ion: drives and approaches

2 - 178 & 180 axis (one flat, one domey): Most midrange shots
1 - 180 vector: midrange shots with more fade / skip
1 - 175 z extreme: mega overstable= trick shots / overhands / etc...

PDs
1 trashed 170 p: rollers, hyzer flip turnovers, low power tunnel shots
1 seasoned 175 dgr pink p: lazer beam hyzer flips, turnover shots
1 beat 175 dgr champy S red: same as above but a little more stable
1 newish 175 c-plus: more HSS and LSS than above, awesome for headwinds
1 seasoned 175 CFR: beefy duties

Destroyers:
1 newish 162 dx: open field bombs (afraid to throw it near trees) goes mega far
1 beat 175 pro destrulcan: big hyzer flip turnovers, rollers
1 seasoned 175 pro destroyer: more stable than above
1 seasoned 169 E* destrulcan: more stable than abov= slight wind BH / BH with fade / calm wind FH
1 seasoned 170 AJ star (SDS): super beefy = big skips, flex shots, FH with wind
1 newish 175 C-PD2: a bit beefier than above= sorta overlaps with above

Concerning the MVP: It's hard to not like the Ion, it crushes with ease and is so silky smooth on FH shots. I don't know where the overstable comments I've heard concerning it come from... I really want to try a heavier soft for a little more stability. I'm also curious about the Anode but I'm not particularly sure what role it will fill as I don't find the Ion particularly overstable or difficult to shape lines with, if anything I miss shots because I assume it has more LSS than it does.

Axis / Vector: I LOVE the Axis. It's so easy to throw far and keep on a line, it's biggest weakness is multi directional shots (I can't flip it up and over from a hyzer) but after I realized that, it hasn't hurt me much. I am curious to see how the Axis will beat in. At first I HATED the Vector. I was reading overstable, overstable, overstable everywhere and, at first, I would try to throw it on hard flex lines, it held the line out of my hand for a long time and ended way off target. I've now learned the Vector likes to be thrown much closer to flat and I have realized the benefits of the mold.

I really enjoy throwing my 162 dx destroyer because it goes really far with great ease but I know it will (likely in one hard hit) become too understable to be useful. For this I am really looking forward to getting a light (sub 150) blizzard boss for max d duties, hoping that it will be a bit more durable.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed May 02, 2012 8:27 am

Picked up an FD to try and ended up LOVING it, it does the work of two of my beat PDs. Since I can throw my putting putter now (anode) and my FD took away two of my PDs, I've been using my squirrel monkey a lot more.

170 M Anode - putting and faster and straighter upshots than Ion
175 s Ion - most upshots, I find it much easier to control range than the Anode

180 Axis - most midrange duties
180 Vector - a lot more fade than the Axis and more wind resistant

175 S FD - glidey hyzers, straight, slight anny's, huge anny's, high distance lines
171 P PD - trashed for monster hyzer flip turnovers, rollers and stand stills
175 C PD - most reliable FW driver, good HSS and LSS

175 Pro Destroyer - seasoned enough for big turnovers and tailwinds
169 E* Destucan - more stable than above for reliable straight to fade and sidearms
175 C-PD2 - beefy for wind / skips
136 Bubble Boss - Open field rips
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby uNicedmeMan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:33 am

Been playing the best golf of my life with this setup:

173 Proto Wiz - Newish Used inside circle putting duties (will get changed out for OG G9i when weather gets warm).
175 Brick Red Proto Wiz - Kinda beat and really glidey, used for jump putts and upshots.
175 S Proton Anode - Drives and upshots. LOVE throwing this thing hard.

180 Proton Axis - Beat and getting some HS turn, probably my most used disc. It has one ace on it from a month or two ago.
180 Proton Vector - More fade than Axis and easier to control range.
175 Z Extreme - Very overstable slow driver for times when I need midrange distance with uber overstability. It gets used a lot for FH skip upshots.

175 STD - Pretty similar to my beat champystar red SPD but newish, pretty sweet disc.
171 PPD - Trashed and mostly used for rollers, also gets play as stand and deliver disc.
175 PPD - Used and pretty flippy for turnovers, tailwind bombers and stand and deliver.
175 Champy Star SPD - All time favorite PD, I use it for everything.
175 CPC - Can't tell if it's a + mold or not but its reliably OS without being extremely beefy. Holds lines into most headwinds.

175 Pro Destroyer - Pretty beat yet still has a very usable stability. My longest disc in calm or tailwind conditions.
169 E* Destroyer - Getting pretty beat yet still has dependable fade.
175 C-PD2 - Beefy speed.

Like I said, I've been shooting the best golf of my life with this rig. A lot of that is chalked up to improvements in my mental game / course management but I feel like I can cover the gamut of shots with this bag.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion