Hiya

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Hiya

Postby jenb » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:58 pm

I just joined and wanted to say Hi and ask a question.

I've been playing recreationally for about 5 years, and I tend to score about 10-15 over par on the average course (counting every hole as a 3 par).

I haven't really gotten any better in the past couple of years, and I'm wondering what I need to do to get really good. One guy who seems really good told me to hang a blanket up and just throw disc after disc into it every day, and that will help the most. That, and getting a basket and a big back yard to practice putting.

The big back yard and basket are in the works. I'm wondering about the whole blanket thing. Does that sound like the right drill to improve my drive? I need more distance and more accuracy.

thx
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Re: Hiya

Postby Dig It » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:07 pm

Hey there,

So you hang a towel up and just rip drives into it? How does the towel stop the drive is it more like a rug? How will you know how your disc is flying to make corrections if it hits a towel not far in front of you? Why is this in Body Conditioning and Injury?

Welcome.
Darmok and Gilad at Tanagra. Shaka, when the walls fell.
Dig It
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: circleStamPooPlate

Postby Mark Ellis » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:28 am

ihasadisc wrote:I just joined and wanted to say Hi and ask a question.

I've been playing recreationally for about 5 years, and I tend to score about 10-15 over par on the average course (counting every hole as a 3 par).

I haven't really gotten any better in the past couple of years, and I'm wondering what I need to do to get really good. One guy who seems really good told me to hang a blanket up and just throw disc after disc into it every day, and that will help the most. That, and getting a basket and a big back yard to practice putting.

The big back yard and basket are in the works. I'm wondering about the whole blanket thing. Does that sound like the right drill to improve my drive? I need more distance and more accuracy.

thx

No single drill will will solve your biggest problem, which you reveal yourself: you are a recreational player who is not getting better.

Become a tournament player and start actively competing. Play tournaments and/or leagues every weekend. When you practice or play during the week, play with other tournament players. You will get better because you MUST get better to compete in your new environment. Not only will you get better, your skills will skyrocket.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby JR » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:14 am

Welcome.

Look at others and ask questions and many questions have been asked and answered here on this board. Look at video critique section videos and break downs of form and suggestions to which direction to change throwing form. Check out the sticky threads in the technique section and read every article on the main page and you have a great foundation from which to improve. Don't hesitate to ask when you have specific questions we're here to help and learn ourselves. If you can post a video of yourself throwing in the video section we can give specific analysis of possible problems and a cook book recipe to how to remedy the possible problems. How far do you throw with which disc being your longest on average and your record? That helps us to answer you more properly.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jenb » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I was checking out the stickied techniques and came across the "hang up a sheet" suggestion about halfway down this page from Blake T.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16139&p=238691&hilit=sheet#p238691

So I guess there might be something to it. I thought it was a drill to build up the muscles that we use when throwing, becasue the guy that suggested it told me that it will make my shoulder and arm really sore, and that's when I know it's working. He said it will adds distance and make it possible to hit targets at 80% or less, so improves accuracy too. But I don't know.

I do know that my throw is straining my lower back muscles. I played today and my lower back is so sore, I can hardly walk. I need to change something, that's for sure.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby mark12b » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:54 am

That kind of indoor throwing can help, but it's not about muscle strengthening. It's about working on certain aspects of your technique without having to chase discs all over a field. Indoors you can do 50 throws in just a few minutes, and you won't lose any discs. But it's important to work on specific skills otherwise you'll just reinforce the same technique you've always had. You also have to take what you think you've learned out into the field to see if it's really making the disc fly any better -- same thing, you don't want to be reinforcing flawed technique. But yeah, right-pec drill indoors with a sheet will teach you a lot.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury