An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: An Efficient Killer - The Pred Thread

Postby discspeed » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:11 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:Similar situation here. It also helps that new orange flat C-PDs are pretty beefy.

Absolutely. My orange C-PD is beat in now and is my go to hyzer disc up to 350'. It is almost exactly like my beat Z pred except it is a bit faster, better in the wind, and has less glide.

On another note...There are a lot of Z/ESP Preds floating around out there that are not very overstable, so the Pred is not necessarily synonymous with overstable. Also, it seems all the nicest Z Preds start out really overstable and break in. The ones that have -HSS out of the box are never as dependable.

There is a lot of anomaly in Preds over the years. Back in '03-'04 I got this orange Z Pred with a really even and balanced dome and it was like a longer Teebird. It flew straight at medium to high speeds and never turned at all, and then it had a very late and glidey fade. It went very close to as far as the first run Orcs I was throwing, but with more control. I really wish I still had that disc because it was not only a freak, but one of the nicest overall drivers I've ever thrown. I've been through a lot of old run Z Preds since having the CDGS used stock to paw through, but I've never found one anything like the one I described above. It was from fairly soon after Z Preds first came out, but it had a normal Z hotstamp for the time. The first Z Pred I bought I'm almost certain was a FR mold, but it didn't have the lion ghost stamp. Instead it had a PREDATOR ghost stamp across the flight plate. That one had negative high speed turn and a lot of fade.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby cfair » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:19 am

so you think the C PDs are better at fighting wind and overstable utility purposes than a Z Pred? Is the Pred shorter?
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:29 am

cfair wrote:so you think the C PDs are better at fighting wind and overstable utility purposes than a Z Pred? Is the Pred shorter?

I think the flat CFR C-PDs are better as a straight/stable to slightly overstable wind fighting disc, which I have a much greater need for than a really overstable disc. A new Z Predator that is on the overstable side should definitely be more overstable than even the most overstable C-PDs. When the Pred is new and super overstable it will like be longer, but with some beating the Pred has more glide and will get longer. A beat Z Pred is a pretty darn long disc, nearly equal to an S-PD.

For my game I find little to no need for something as overstable as a new max weight Z Pred. In the interests of minimalism and easy replacement the PDs fit better into my game and eliminate any use for a Z Pred. If I put Preds back in the bag they could not cover the spectrum of shots that my PDs do.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:11 am

cfair wrote:so you think the C PDs are better at fighting wind and overstable utility purposes than a Z Pred? Is the Pred shorter?

I don't think I would put the C PD in the overstable utility category. It is less stable and has much better line shaping capabilities than a new Z pred.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby mickas » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:36 pm

The predator is the only disc that has stayed in my bag the entire time i've played disc golf so heres my 2 cents:

They are more workable than a firebird and have much more distance potential, they also have a more comfortable rim (imo). I throw predators on holes ranging from 280 to 400 feet and have yet to find a disc that is quite this consistent. When you beat in a few predators there is an awesome rotation you can get going, when a z or esp one gets beat enough it flies like an eagle-x which is very workable, thrown flat it will turn a little then not come back too hard. New z's can be meathooks which fills another very important spot in the bag, then I always carry one esp (the one i have in right now is fairly new) that i throw flex shots with, the little bit of added glide in the esp gives it more distance potential on flex shots. Lately i've been carrying three predators and they cover almost all of my fairway shots except for the turnover spot which is covered by another disc.

The moral of the story is that there is a reason that every discraft pro has a predator in the bag and many of them consider it their favorite disc...
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby RustyP » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:44 pm

The last 2 Z Preds I bought off the shelf were a little pearly and not as high-speed stable as my older ones. Are all the current run Zs like that?

Also, lately I've been wanting to try a lower 160's weight Pred. Any real difference in stability compared to 172+?
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby Booter » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 pm

are old pearly z preds desirable ? older small stamp ones.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby mickas » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:37 am

The old stamp pearly z's are less stable (in my experience) than the new flat ones. The newest runs of z predators are some of the most overstable i've ever seen. As far as desirable goes i'm not sure about that, they do tend to fly a little further because they might have a tiny more glide due to the less stability, but i'm not sure if they go for more.

The lighter predator would probably have more High Speed Turn but about the same fade because it will want to get to the ground the same way as the heavy ones (go left really hard and spike) but it will be easier to turn over in wind etc.
Destroyers | Predators | Eagles | Buzzz | Comets | Magnets

trades: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22441
mickas
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:36 pm

I enjoy the older Z preds b/c they are less stable.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Trey133 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:07 pm

I am currently loving on an older Z pred thats 170, it is my teebird.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby zj1002 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:40 pm

i like firebirds
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby disc junkie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:55 pm

you ufkers. All this talk has cause me to revisit the Z Pred and well lets just say it has kicked out my S PDs for the time being. My CPD still stands strong but damn this Pred is the shizzle. I initially stopped throwing the Pred because I always wanted to use it mainly just for headwind duties and it just never performed how I wanted but now that I have the C PD and I tuned mine it is such a versatile mold its rediculous.

I have a 168 Teal New Run Z Pred that I tuned to be less HSS and now it truly is like an EagleX +. I LOVE it. The other day I spent some time in the open field and course and compared my bagged S PDs and Z Pred and while they are definitely similar I seemed to get more glide from the Pred as well as more reliable versatility. At times when I would release My S PD on anhyzer they would stay that way all the way to the ground or come out to late whereas the Z Pred always flexed out pretty much exactly when I wanted it to. Also I can now hyzer flip mine into a lazer with reliable fade. Ive been having a great time tossing my Pred plus this Teal color is a beauty! So perfect after the tune job as I have no need for a beefcake Pred due to the C PD.

Anywho, thanks for this thread as Im super glad I revisited this disc. Ive already stocked up on back ups so Im good to go for a while now.
Last edited by disc junkie on Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby zj1002 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:02 pm

so i should expect to see a mass dump on EX's in the austin used bins huh
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Postby disc junkie » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:10 pm

zj1002 wrote:so i should expect to see a mass dump on EX's in the austin used bins huh

negative. I have a beautiful stack of Eagles that will not go anywhere ever. However they are getting thrown much less for the time being, but when I bring them out they remind me not to part with them. Nice try smart ass. If I were to dump a disc it would be the S PD which is what I did to get more Pred. However I did keep the S PD I will Not get rid of in case I want to throw it again. Ive learned from past mistakes by at least keeping a few of every disc I like that way if I go back I dont have to restock.

Back to the topic Pred is a killer disc fo sho
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby zj1002 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Yeah the z-pred is tits. I threw them a lot this past year, but they were getting a bit too straight on me. as you said, they are pretty similar to eagles at times. I found it hard to maintain some hyzer angles and landing spots because the disc penetrated forward so well. If I wasn't throwing the QPLS, the Pred would be in the bag. the were basically being thrown on the same lines, and I needed to move to something better for pure hyzers
zj1002
metroid cannon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment