Any Northern IL/ Southern WI players here?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Any Northern IL/ Southern WI players here?

Postby Haymaker » Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:56 pm

Hey guys, I have been lurking here for a while now, but finally decided to set up an account and start posting. I am from the Rockford, IL area. Theres a few courses in the area but I don't think I'd say DG is huge here. Just wondering if theres any other players from the area on the board? I play mostly at the woodlands in Rockton, and Thunder park in Roscoe. You can also find me at the Beloit, WI, Janesville WI, Anna Page park in Rockford, and my favorite course in the area (although farthest from me) Krape Park in Freeport, IL. Anybody from around here or played these parks before? If so post here and introduce yourself!
Haymaker
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion wraith

Re: Any Northern IL/ Southern WI players here?

Postby Redisculous » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:22 pm

I live up in Janesville but haven't made it out much this winter. Anna Page is probably one of my favorite courses within reasonable driving distance. I've never been to thunder park, is that the nine hole I heard about? I play mostly at lustig, even though it isn't the best course around, but it's close. Too bad they take the pins out in the winter. Been thinking about hitting up beloit sometime soon, or anna page if I can get some people to go with. They leave the pins in year round at anna right?
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Haymaker » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:25 am

I haven't ventured out to anna page in the winter so Im not sure if they leave the baskets in or not... I know the woodlands leaves them in though. Thunder park is not far from the beloit course and its a waaaaayy better 9 hole course. Thunder park is a really cool little park actually, nice mix of woods, open, and water there and they have some interesting shots you have to make. I definitely recommended checking it out and I'm pretty sure they probably leave the baskets in there too
Haymaker
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion wraith

Postby Dag » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Baskets are in at Anna Page and the tees are clear. You might want to hook up with the local group, GRABM. At the least they're out there every Sunday, skins at 8 AM followed by random draw dubs at 10 AM. They have their Arctic Blast doubles tournament coming up this Saturday. Good group of folks.

There are a coupla other folks from the area on here though I'm drawing a blank at the moment. I'm in DeKalb myself and the local group, DeKalb County Disc Golf does random draw dubs every Saturday at 1 PM. Been meaning to give the Roscoe and Rockton courses a whirl but I've not had a lot of free time recently.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby Redisculous » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:13 pm

If I didn't work every weekend I would definitely be down at Anna Page for doubles! Do they run leagues all year round?

The weather's supposed to be up in the 40's and 50's this week, I'm going to throw some plastic for sure, it's been way too long. I don't usually take the winters off, but I've been having car troubles, ugh.
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Postby rusch_bag » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:18 pm

I have played lustig a few times. I am a little bit more north than what you are looking for. I will play the janesville jammer every year I can so maybe I will see you there sometime.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Redisculous » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:23 pm

I played in the Jammer this last summer, took 9th (last place to get funny money!)in intermediate, which I thought was decent for my first tourney. I expect to do a lot better this year, but I don't think I am ready for advanced yet.
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JaKyJe » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:26 pm

I live in Marengo, I've only played in Crystal Lake, and Marengo though. Have not had a chance to make it out to Rockford yet.

If your ever looking for another person to play with pm me, I only play with one other buddy and he isn't available some days when I'm off.
JaKyJe
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Wraith

Postby ziggy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:18 pm

I hail from Delavan, WI. Work at a school and night school at a college eat up the majority of my time during the school year.

I have managed to play all the courses within 60miles of my town in the last 3 years tho.

These are the ones I recommend getting out and playing.

Rockford - Anna page
Madison - hiestand, elver, token creek
Silver lake - gray fox
Marengo - indian oaks is solid especially in its infancy stage. Has quite possibly the only true Par 4's in the area w/ #5.
Kenosha - UW-Parkside
Milwaukee - Brown Deer + Dretzka
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Dag » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:52 pm

What ever happened to the Duck Pond rehab in Fontana?

For folks that play Indian Oaks, there's a Marengo Disc Golf Facebook page for current information. John's doing winter random dubs 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the month at noon.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby pappabear » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:32 am

the baskets will be in @ lustig all winter, come play the new pin position on 11
Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness" So I got that goin for me, which is nice
pappabear
Noob

Favorite Disc: challenger

Postby ziggy » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:54 pm

Dag wrote:What ever happened to the Duck Pond rehab in Fontana?

you would need to pm wdb4th to find out more..
ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Courses