Jump Putt

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Jump Putt

Postby Jwt4412 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:16 pm

Nailed my first Jump Putt today from 55'.

What a Rush!
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:27 am

congrats....

It makes you feel great when it happens and is a skill that would serve you if you take the time to get consistant with it. Just make sure that you can hit the comeback putts if you miss.
LastBoyScout

Postby Bildo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:44 am

Jump putt?!! Sounds interesting. How exactly do you line up for this? Throw it? Release point? I'm intrigued 55' putts are easy like this?
STARFIRE!!!!!
......Ching.......ahhhhh...
Bildo
Noob

Postby sleepy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:59 am

I've never tried one, so I can't offer any tips; other than to study film of Dave Feldberg's jump putt. From what I understand, he is the Shogun Kung-Fu Master of the Jump-Putt. :D

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:47 am

Blake is currently working on a tutorial about jump putting, but essentially you are allowed to step over your marker after releasing your putter from outside of 10 Meters (33 feet). You are basically jumping or falling while putting in order to get your full body weight behind your putt. Its something that while others can tell you about it, you really need to get out there and find what works for you.

Here is some video links:

http://stickitdg.com/gallery/albums/album03/dave_feldberg_putt2.avi

http://stickitdg.com/gallery/albums/album03/jay_reading_putt2.avi
LastBoyScout

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:52 am

there are a few jump putt videos on the site. I learned jump putts a couple months ago (and am still learning everyday)

I use them for the awkward range where you cant reach the basket with a pitch arm putt, and its not long enough to use your drive arm motion. (I dont think that its ever a good idea to throw by curling your arm...)

My jump puts are good from 110-50' depending on wether im going for it or laying up. I tend to hyzer the longer ones when Im going for it to limit the distance of my comeback putts.

The 110-75' range was always a tough range for me, and the jump (or falling) putt definately fits the spot.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:03 pm

i agree, thatdirtykid...

i think jump putts are a great way to just approach the basket from 100'+ (if you got the skillz) and in. a very good shot to know. plus you can really weave it through tight windows and be more confident your gonna hit 'em... plus they just plop... plus sometimes they go in...
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:21 pm

presidio hills wrote:i agree, thatdirtykid...

i think jump putts are a great way to just approach the basket from 100'+ (if you got the skillz) and in. a very good shot to know. plus you can really weave it through tight windows and be more confident your gonna hit 'em... plus they just plop... plus sometimes they go in...

LOL. right now i just hear DINGS as the disc hits the basket, pole, and top. Im still missing that accuracy from long range. Atleast i quit blowing by the basket.
LastBoyScout

Postby presidio hills » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:53 pm

i don't know if i phrased it right... i meant you can hit tight windows easier, discs usually land close, and sometimes they go in. using the "jump putt style approach method". not that i'm hitting putts from 80' with consistency... hah!
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:08 pm

Yeah. i hear you. I actually use 2 methods depending upon the situation. If it is feesible, i will jump putt it. I make currently about 8 - 10% of my attempts, the rest are easy putts with maybe 10% of the misses being right at 20 ft putts.

However, if it is really windy, or the shot calls for it, i do a nice no step back hand arm flick low off the ground. Its a slight hyzer line to the basket that lands just short of the pin to compensate for the disc if it slides or skips. Sometimes i get a little wind assistance and manage to actually hit the target, and that makes it sweet.

You have to remember the Base 10 method (Risk Reward).

Jump putt practice tip:
Start about 20 feet from the basket and practice a nice smooth putting shot. After you hit 10 - 20 in a row and it feels consistant, start to incorporate putting or falling over your marker. Hit 10 - 20 from 20 feet and move back to 25 feet. Repeat the jumping/falling putt another 10 - 20 in a row. Move to 30 feet and repeat. 35 and repeat. 40 and repeat. ect ect ect. This is also a great way to warm up during your normal putting routine.

I actually took a thin rope and tied markers on it ever 5 feet and with one placed at 33 feet so that I can practice learning to visible distinguish what is 33 feet and beyond. The rope is then attached to the base of the basket with the first 5 foot marker being 5 feet from the lip of the basket.

Also a putting tip. You need to practice getting into position every time you putt so dont hold the extra putters in your hand, set them in a chair, on the ground, or where ever about 5 feet from where you are putting from. This helps you get consistantly in the groove for your whole putting stance.
LastBoyScout

Return to Technique