Stinging hand?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Stinging hand?

Postby seabas22 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:15 pm

I just went and threw some drives for the first time in over two months. I threw some putter drives and was getting a stinging pain in my hand. I've noticed this before, but I'm not sure if this is just from not being warmed up, or something else. Before the stinging would go away after a couple holes, although today I only threw for about 30 min and the hand pain did seem to lessen toward the end. I did some arm circles before throwing today, but just surprised with the stinging. I was throwing my putters about 280', couple hit 300'. Anybody else have this stinging or know how to warm it up better?
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Re: Stinging hand?

Postby JR » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:50 pm

Where does it sting? Is it local to a one tiny specific spot? I've had stinging pain in the center of my palm from gripping heavy stuff from handles at work and after that from gripping a disc hard prior to throwing. Which is a sure fire technical flaw that doesn't allow the disc to pivot and robs distance. I don't know what exactly hurt me so i don't know the reason for it but it took a few weeks of rest for it to go away. Have you worked out hard or done hard manual labor? The closest thing to the hand that i've gotten pain from when throwing without proper warm up is my wrist. So far i haven't needed a lot of warm up at all for my hand. It does get some in any case from warming up and stretching other places.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby seabas22 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:33 am

The stinging is basically in the whole hand. I've noticed it more when its cold, so I think its just warm blood rushing into my cold hand or something along that. I would think if its a technique issue or injury that the stinging would continue throughout the round, but it usually feels fine after the first couple holes, or 20 min or so. But I was just doing some field practice yesterday so it was drive, drive, drive drive. I've been injured most of last year so I haven't really played in about a 9 months.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:21 am

The palm stinging was much more intense than the everywhere stinging that one can get from skipping flat stones on water or tossing anything light as fast as possible. Is your stinging milder like that of trying to throw light objects ultra fast? If it's just a rush of blood to the hand it should go away with rest for the short term and completely away with practice.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Lithicon » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:23 pm

From my interpretations of this, for the whole hand. It's from hyper extending the elbow, usually stopping suddenly and the forearm continues to travel and extends too far, pressing on nerves in the elbow.

I know there can be blood rush from very fast stopping of limbs, like car crashes and things. But, if it's just the hand, then it could possibly be Hyper Extension. It happens to me if I haven't played in a while and try too hard.
Predator - OLF - Cyclone
Roc Kool-Aid
Dart
------------------
Lithicon
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Dart

Postby seabas22 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:13 pm

Hyper extension might be a possibility. I also tweaked my pivot ankle, so my follow through was probably compromised, although I would think that the pain would be consistent on each throw. I'm not sure how to explain the pain level of the stinging, at first its enough pain that I have to wait a minute or 2 to attempt another throw, but not enough to stop throwing, but the pain becomes less and less after each throw. I've have had similar stinging from going from extreme cold feet warming up.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:05 am

Unfortunately i've had both pinched nerves and blood rush to the hand and cold toes warming up that tingle/sting about the same way. So yes even a tendonitis could be the culprit and it may come from also the shaking of the muscle and tendons at least in the forearm. Maybe even the shoulders. That means that you should not push through pain for a while and start out slower after you rest a few days at the least. If it's serious tendon trouble it will take at least six months to heal properly. It would need to be very bad luck to get that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury