Trying a little more discmania now

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Trying a little more discmania now

Postby Trey133 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:09 am

**Coming from a strictly Innova bag and then entertaining a Discraft offer has lead me to throw both brands now. Read on to see my findings over the course of the season**

Okay, so...

Little tough at first to get used to all new plastic but I'm finding the transition much better now. I have complimented some of my old standby's pretty good and have added a little more diversity into the bag at the moment. I'm liking it and thinking this will be what bag I keep set for this years tournament season. There might be small changes made depending on if I lose a disc or beat something up too much to take it out of rotation.

Feel free to send me any messages based on what I like / dislike about the discs I'm using or anything I might have tried.

Putters -
I had a short stint with the Focus but have since changed a small part of my putt to accommodate the Challenger again. I feel it has less glide than the focus but that will change when I beat a couple in just a few more notches on the scale.
Challenger x 2 (these are stiff and grippy on the edges. Koling showed me what I need to be looking for, a velvety feeling on the edge/bead of the disc) Putters
Challenger x 3 (various stages of wear from super stable cryztal Z, to new stiff pro D to beat in pro D)
ESP Zone x 1 (this is my faster rhyno at the moment... waiting for it to beat up a little so I can throw it like i'm used to throwing my old ce rhynos)

Midranges -
I feel completely at home with the comet and making the transition from buttery roc to comet was not hard in the slightest. Henceforth, my midrange section is ran by comets with 2 other molds creeping in for conditional purpose. I had originally thought about beating up hornets for my stable midranges, but have since added a buzzz and a drone to compliment my comets.
Z Buzzz x 1 (330 ft. hyzers, little wind, thats about it)
Z Comet x 1 (everything minus big wind)
X Comet x 1 (I've never had such ease with anhyzering a disc)
FLX Drone x 1 (super wind fighting, I feel like I play better with it than the hornet)

Fairway Drivers -
After trying XL's per MJ's advice I've decided that I think I like stalkers a little better. This may change but at the moment I'm stocking up on stalkers, and I have other discs that compliment them better than XL's I've decided. I was always a leopard fan when I threw innova so the stalker fits in perfect.
Z Stalker x 2 (One new, one used)
Z Predator x 2 (one new, one thrashed) The thrashed predator is perfect. Its my teebird. Its everything I've wanted a fairway driver to be, I just wish I could beat these things in faster!
Z Avenger x 2 (one beat, one not quite beat) These are the closest I could find to a PD. They fly far and hyzerflip nicely. I'm very sold on the flatter ones, and not the new runs because of domey issues. I'm finally at home with Discraft now that I'm throwing avengers, one of the greatest drivers in the game I feel.

Distance Drivers -
ESP Surge x 1 Mildly seasoned, good hyzer flip, good distance, a little longer than my avengers at the moment but only by an inch. Very controllable
Z Force x 2 (Seasoned and New) I almost don't need a nuke when I have these. When you beat them in right, I feel they are very Destroyer-ish and accurate in wind and without wind.
Z Nuke - First run purple. Its a boss, little faster. Having fun throwing this but I just don't quite trust it in a headwind like I do my forces.

20 Discs in my bag
11 Molds
6 Putters
4 Midrange
6 Fairways
4 Drivers

I'm pretty happy!
Last edited by Trey133 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Re: Full Discraft Bag - My findings

Postby BLURR » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:30 am

At one time, I ran a setup similar to what you have listed there...only I dropped the surge in favor of the flash.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Iman522 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:52 am

What plastic are you using with the avengers?

The whole setup looks pretty solid. My mid-ranges are the exact same except I am currently testing the hornet instead of the drone.
Iman522
Noob

Postby jnecessary » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:12 pm

Do you not miss a nice flippy roller type disc? I could do well with the bag you have posted, but I would probably miss a Road Runner. At the same time, I might rely on that disc too much instead of shaping a shot a bit more manually.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Trey133 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:11 pm

Blurr - Is the flash kinda like an orc? I threw one about 3 weeks ago and forgot to pick it up out at the field. Its gone now but I don't really remember the flight too well.

Iman522 - I'm using Z plastic for the Avengers. I'm sorry I didn't specify, I'll fix my post. Regarding the Hornet, I had a short love affair with it, but I feel like I can throw the Drone sooooo hard! Its almost like a security blanket, when I get in the crap, I've resorted to just throwing the drone out of it reaaaaally hard and fighting through the brush.

Jnecessaary - I've got 3 utility type discs that I'm kinda running through my head regarding rolling, one may make it in the bag purely dependent on the situation. When I was at worlds last year I forgot to bring a roller disc, and luckily my CE leopard didn't mind filling in the position. At Delaware my leopard roller was not as long as if I had brought out my beat eagle but it sufficed. I'm hoping that after some more beating in, maybe one of the Avengers can also fill the roller position. The other 3 that I mentioned earlier are 1) Z Flick for thumbers/forehand rollers (not in the bag at the moment) 2) Super beat 04 Tracker (rolls similarly to a CE TL) 3) Cryztal Z avenger SS (good god it rolls like a champ right out of the box).
Trey133

Postby Whiz » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:16 pm

I would say the Avenger SS is about as good as it gets when it comes to an easy out-of-the-box brand new roller disc from Discraft. Within a few weeks of picking a couple ESPs up I could roll them 350' easy (this was back when I could only throw an air shot 325').
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby victorb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:31 pm

Trey133 wrote:
Midranges -
I feel completely at home with the comet and making the transition from buttery roc to comet was not hard in the slightest. Henceforth, my midrange section is ran by comets with 2 other molds creeping in for conditional purpose. I had originally thought about beating up hornets for my stable midranges, but have since added a buzzz and a drone to compliment my comets.

let me just say

/COSIGNED
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Trey133 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Whiz - you the man! are you playing best in the nest? Can't wait to get back to charlotte!

VictorB - Really really really wish I had branched out and tried the comet sooner! Just way too fun not to have several hundred of them!
Trey133

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:23 pm

I don't know if I missed this or not, but did you get sponsored?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Trey133 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:33 am

Rush_Bag - Only time will tell!
Trey133

Postby BLURR » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:15 am

The flash is a fickle beast. If you get the right one, it will fly kind of like an Orc. If you can find yourself a blood red Z-Flash with the small Discraft stamp on it, snag it. It is the best flying Flash they have ever made. The Flash is more workable in my opinion than the surge. And distance-wise, I would consider them to be the same.

Also, do you want those avengers still?
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby rusch_bag » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:21 pm

Trey133 wrote:Rush_Bag - Only time will tell!

Good luck! They turned down my friend Scotty Burtard who is 998 rated, but hopefully it will go better for you.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Trey133 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:22 pm

Rush_Bag - Scotty Burtard, that name sounds familiar!

Blurr - I don't think I will need the Avengers, I got a line on a ton of the old ones with my clubs tournament stamp. Gonna take them
Trey133

Postby Trey133 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:56 am

This is the bag that helped me stay close to wiggles and schwebby this weekend at the Mooky's cup! 3rd place, 2nd cash in a row in Pro!

Top Row:
Challengers - Putters
Cryztal Z Challenger - Driving and such

2nd Row:
More Challengers - Driving stabilities
Zone - She's awesome!

3rd Row:
Comets - Z for stable, X for straighter, ESP for flip city
Flx Drone - Super stable... kinda like the zone maybe a tad longer
Buzzz ss - She's cute, I like throwing it for a little more wind resistance than the Z comet

4th Row:
Stalker - Straightness
Avengers - X is getting beat up, 2 Z's in the bag for yummy almost not quite pd action
Predators - oh boy, do I love beat up predators... the blue one is new and amazing stable

5th Row:
Surges - They're my bread and butter driver at the moment
Forces - One new for stability, one used for S stuff
1st Run Z Nuke - Very stable purple one, just like a boss IMO
Z Flick - not too sure what to think about this thing.
Trey133

Postby discspeed » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:01 am

I agree that the Surge is still Discraft's smoothest, most complete distance driver. They are really good discs at all stages of wear. Find some First Runs if you can...
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion