Trying a little more discmania now

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Full Discraft Bag - My findings

Postby rehder » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:00 pm

discspeed wrote:I agree that the Surge is still Discraft's smoothest, most complete distance driver. They are really good discs at all stages of wear. Find some First Runs if you can...

Its odd, I never thought Surges where any real good, I always thought the Pro Wraith was much better.
If I had to list D's best disc in class it would be: Nuke, Force, Pred, Buzz, Challenger
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:03 pm

you might want to try the xs the x xs make a great roller and the z is a great fairway disc that nocked the stalker out of my bag. the x avenger is also a disc that beats into a great roller to pair with the z you are already throwing

PS they are my favorite disc, the xs that is.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Trey133 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:51 am

I think the surge is pretty much the bees knees. I always threw wraiths pretty well, especially light star wraiths and the surge does the exact same thing.

Regarding the XS, I gave it a chance and decided that I think I like the stalkers' leopardish tendencies better. The XS is a great disc though! Timmy Gill loves his!
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby rusch_bag » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:53 am

Why did you pick the challenger over the focus? Also, have you noticed any colors have been better than others for challengers in pro d?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby ziggy » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:45 pm

rusch_bag wrote:Why did you pick the challenger over the focus? Also, have you noticed any colors have been better than others for challengers in pro d?

For me, it's those old Pro D Challengers in white or black. The plastic chalky and firm.

ziggy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Trey133 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:35 pm

Rush_Bag - I chose the challenger over the focus because I was having a hard time finding good feeling plastic with the focus line. I have a number of friends who are all Discraft who have been stocking up on good challengers for a couple of years that are helping me find the ones that are similar to JK aviars in firmness and grip.

To be honest, I like the focus mold pretty good! I just wish I could find better plastic for it. Also, since I have a small hoard of the good old Cryztal Z Challengers, I decided to conform to 1 putter in an effort to minimize my molds. Right now I'm liking Challengers more than I was in the past (they sure don't have a lot of glide at low speed, which is a good thing in some cases!).

Right now I've made a small adjustment to the bag:
Putters: Challengers
Driving Putters: Challengers and Cryztal Z Challengers
Overstable Driving Putters: ESP Zone

Midranges Flippy: ESP Comet
Midranges Straight: Z Comet and Bar Stamp Buzz
Midranges Overstable: FLX Drone

Fairway Drivers Flippy: Stalker - XL's are coming in the bag at the moment. I can't decide again which one I like more
Fairway Drivers Stable: Z Avengers
Fairway Drivers Overstable: Z Predators
-- I'm having a tough time deciding if I need XL's Avengers, and Predators because I have 2 beat Predators that almost act as my beat Avengers. I'm so confused now. I like throwing them both!

Distance Drivers: ESP and 06 Z Surges
Distance Drivers Overstable: Force
Distance Driver Warp Speed: Sparkle Cryztal Z Nuke
Trey133

Postby money 21 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:53 pm

i threw the x avenger, z avenger, tsunami, pred for awhile. they almost feel like a continuation of the same disc.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, trak, ascent, unlace, beeline, lace, olace, Prometheus
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Trey133 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:54 am

Yea I agree!

Ziggy let me have a tsunami that i've been throwing lately and it is very teebirdy just a bit more overstable. Beating her up to see what she may turn in to!
Trey133

Postby slowRoll » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:11 am

Trey, what are your thoughts on the ESP Avenger and Surge?
ESP is my favorite type of plastic and I have quite a bit of it in my mixed bag.
I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?
Ertai wizard adept
slowRoll
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Trey133 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:19 am

SlowRoll
ESP surges are bread and butter for me. Right now I am really liking them in weights of 173 from a certain blue run of the nate doss signature stamps, they fly far and hyzer flip excellently. I finally got my hands on some first run esp's which everyone has been bragging about (you apparently aren't throwing surges unless you're tossing some first runs) so I'll let you know how it goes. I can tell you off the bat, that they are a bit longer (no clue why, minimal mold change? not sure) than the rest.

ESP avengers are pretty tasty! At the moment i'm not throwing them in favor of my older Z avengers because I feel they are less stable. But, if you can find a moderately domed esp avenger you'll find a gliding thing of beauty. They don't require as much power to fly flat and straight and still stable out at the end. I've got several ESP's and I would say finding a heavier weight would be beneficial just for the longevity of the disc. I have some 169's and 170's that are beginning to get squirrely, so I'd stick with a heavier weight and beat her in to perfection. Great disc, and they definitely get pulled out when I know I'm going to a more touchy course when I'll take some speed off the disc.
Trey133

Postby jasondiscer84 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:13 am

Do you think the Z or X avenger compliment the stalker more as a stable fairway driver.....i throw max about 340 on flat ground and throw fairway drivers around 300....let me know trey
jasondiscer84
Tree Magnet

Postby Trey133 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:46 pm

jasondiscer84 - Here's my review on the avengers.

X Avenger - There are two types. You have the stiff X and floppy/soft X. These are two different discs.
Stiff X Avenger - More stable than the floppy/soft x. These have flown most similarly to my P-PD's after minimal use. They also seem to beat in better than the floppy ones. I would say they would compliment your stalker good when new, but know that they will beat into flippers eventually.
Floppy X Avenger - Much less stable than the stiff x. These have flown very similarly to my Beat P-PD's right out of the box. They hyzer flip, and turn when thrown flat (I'd say i'm throwing them for the 350 range for golf shots, not distance lines). I did not like them and ended up taking them out of my bag.

Z Avenger - 2 Types as well. AvengeR stamp and Circle AVENGER stamp.
AvengeR Stamp - These are the oldie goldies. I like them the best and really enjoy the more beat ones as they fly really far with minimal effort. Although not the same amount of glide as the X avengers, they fly good and cover the majority of my old Teebird/Eagle shots. They are not as fast/long as the PD but they are every bit as controllable. Brand new they are good and stable, beat in they fly very similarly to my beat star teebirds.
Circle AVENGER stamp - These are the new runs. MUCH more stable than the AvengeR stamped avengers. I don't have much of a use for these because I have Predators that do the job just fine. These things can pretty much be your go to fairway driver if you cycle new/ used/ thrashed in the bag. You might still want to carry a pred for thumbers and trick shots too if you need.

As far as working with your Stalker. I will say that the two compliment each other well. I would probably carry a stalker for all your shots around that 300 w/ tunnel to 330 straighter area. I personally would recommend carrying the older Z AvengeR stamped avengers. But they're hard to come by, so cycling the X's (as long as you can find stiff ones) isn't a bad option.

Really its all about preference. Since I went crazy and decided to stock up on AvengeR stamped Z's, I just carry those.
Trey133

Postby money 21 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Trey133 wrote:SlowRoll
ESP surges are bread and butter for me. Right now I am really liking them in weights of 173 from a certain blue run of the nate doss signature stamps, they fly far and hyzer flip excellently. I finally got my hands on some first run esp's which everyone has been bragging about (you apparently aren't throwing surges unless you're tossing some first runs) so I'll let you know how it goes. I can tell you off the bat, that they are a bit longer (no clue why, minimal mold change? not sure) than the rest.

ESP avengers are pretty tasty! At the moment i'm not throwing them in favor of my older Z avengers because I feel they are less stable. But, if you can find a moderately domed esp avenger you'll find a gliding thing of beauty. They don't require as much power to fly flat and straight and still stable out at the end. I've got several ESP's and I would say finding a heavier weight would be beneficial just for the longevity of the disc. I have some 169's and 170's that are beginning to get squirrely, so I'd stick with a heavier weight and beat her in to perfection. Great disc, and they definitely get pulled out when I know I'm going to a more touchy course when I'll take some speed off the disc.

I have to agree the flat blue nate doss surges rock. I have one with a sunken dome and i can flick it farther then the nuke I am trying to learn.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Trey133 » Mon May 02, 2011 10:03 am

Well guys... the love affair with Discraft I think has come to a close.

I don't know if the scouting is going to yield any potential since I can't tour as much as I thought. Not going to get much better while in grad school either.

SO! I'm going back to a couple old standbys.

Putters:
JK's (oh man I missed them)
P2's (they're really long and fun to throw)
CE Rhyno

Mids:
Rocs (so happy to have them back)
Comets (so happy to have found them)

Fairway
PD!!!! (thank god I can throw these again, driving game was hurting without them)
Leopards (super touch, finesse, rollers, you name it)
Predators (amazing disc in a class of its own)

Drivers
Valkerie or STD/CTD
Destroyer or Boss still deciding
C-PD2 (Awesome consistent disc)

Still have 11 molds
4 Putters
5 Midranges
5 Fairway Drivers
5 Distance Drivers
19 Discs total
Trey133

Re: No longer full Discraft. Mixed bag madness ensues

Postby Mixed Bag Madness » Mon May 02, 2011 10:55 am

"Mixed bag madness ensues" Exactly how I came to have that name. I threw exclusively Discraft and then switched to a mixed bag a couple years ago. I don't know how I ever played disc golf without Rocs and Teebirds in my bag. With your skills and premiere location maybe you could look into doing a Gateway mixed bag sponsorship? I'm in college also and I know how tough it can be to get out to tourneys etc. especially during mids and finals. Best of luck to you mang.... 8)
PA1s-Rocs-FLX Drones-Teebirds-D3s-Destroyers-D1s
Mixed Bag Madness
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pumpkin Rocs

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion