Best course in each state

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Best course in each state

Postby walkdog44 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:10 pm

The two best courses in SD are Big Sioux located in Brandon Valley and Tut Hill in Sioux Falls
walkdog44
Noob

Favorite Disc: sidewinder

Postby JHern » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35 pm

Dookville wrote:
JHern wrote:Note that California is really two states...

SoCal: If you only play one...Coyote Point DGC @ Lake Casitas, near Ventura. This is my favorite course I've played thus far (and I've played over 40 highly rated courses).

NorCal: Echoing Jesse, if you only play one, make it DeLaveaga, it is a classic course and very old disc golf culture. If more, Golden Gate Park, Stafford, Napa Valley (awesome course!), Grass Valley, Penn Valley, Bijou (Tahoe), Markleeville, New Hogan Dam, etc., come to mind.

While technically Coyote Point is Socal, and I hear it is fantastic, further south is more like the real Socal. La Mirada near Los Angelas is my fvorite and my home course. Oak Park in Pasadena is the original and Huntington Beach is the second permanent course ever built. (DG Historical courses) Morley Park in San Diego is even further south and that is a really nice course. PM me if you ever want to play La Mirada.

Well, if you really want to split hairs...then DeLaveaga is technically in the central coast of California, along with Felton, Pinto Lake, Aptos, CSUMB, Ryan Ranch, Waller Pines, etc.. But it is close enough to the Bay Area to be considered a part of it. San Jose Parque de la Raza is a nice 9 holer.

In Southern California, Morley Field and La Mirada are the 2 big park old school courses. I love them both. Everybody should play these courses before they die. I heard that La Mirada doesn't do annual tournaments any longer, which is too bad, because I would love to come down and play at tourney there, and so would lots of other players. Casitas is newer and on a much bigger landscape, not groomed like La Mirada Park or Balboa Park. But it is sweetness.

Another area that is simply great is Tahoe. My favorite is Zephyr Cove, but close second is Bijou. So many great courses around there, and more going in the ground every day!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Dookville » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:44 am

Well, if you really want to split hairs...then DeLaveaga is technically in the central coast of California, along with Felton, Pinto Lake, Aptos, CSUMB, Ryan Ranch, Waller Pines, etc.. But it is close enough to the Bay Area to be considered a part of it. San Jose Parque de la Raza is a nice 9 holer.

In Southern California, Morley Field and La Mirada are the 2 big park old school courses. I love them both. Everybody should play these courses before they die. I heard that La Mirada doesn't do annual tournaments any longer, which is too bad, because I would love to come down and play at tourney there, and so would lots of other players. Casitas is newer and on a much bigger landscape, not groomed like La Mirada Park or Balboa Park. But it is sweetness.

Another area that is simply great is Tahoe. My favorite is Zephyr Cove, but close second is Bijou. So many great courses around there, and more going in the ground every day![/quote]
They still play monthlys at La Mirada, the next one is on the 12th of March. The course is in great shape and they set it up for the 27 hole Golden State Open layout for the monthlys; back 9 are a real challenge with all the mandos.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby jon.l » Wed May 25, 2011 9:04 am

jon.l
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Orc

Postby Sean40474 » Thu May 26, 2011 8:58 am

Dookville wrote:Well, if you really want to split hairs...then DeLaveaga is technically in the central coast of California, along with Felton, Pinto Lake, Aptos, CSUMB, Ryan Ranch, Waller Pines, etc.. But it is close enough to the Bay Area to be considered a part of it. San Jose Parque de la Raza is a nice 9 holer.

Another area that is simply great is Tahoe. My favorite is Zephyr Cove, but close second is Bijou. So many great courses around there, and more going in the ground every day!

They still play monthlys at La Mirada, the next one is on the 12th of March. The course is in great shape and they set it up for the 27 hole Golden State Open layout for the monthlys; back 9 are a real challenge with all the mandos.[/quote]

Why'd they quit doing that? I've heard so much about this course from other people and some friends that lived there once upon a time years ago.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Fri May 27, 2011 12:53 pm

keltik wrote:SC I can't really speak for but it is the home of Winthrop Gold and that may win by default.

Winthrop gets the first answer of course, but some of the courses in Greenville-Greer-Spartanburg area and in Columbia shouldn't be completely overlooked. I've not played them all but heard lots of good things.

One big monster I would say could compete with Winthrop from difficulty only is Va Du Mar in Boiling Springs (Spartanburg). That course has handed my butt back to me every time I've been there.

I went to school at Winthrop and played it a lot (my first full 18 course I played was the Winthrop Lake Front course) and its probably earned the right to say its the best but the only drawback I see there is the availability. Sure the baskets are typically there for the whole course (some move from time to time) the ropes are only there during the USDGC. That course is a completely different monster with the ropes than without. Without the ropes it becomes much more of a "who can throw the farthest" game.
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby beatroc » Fri May 27, 2011 2:43 pm

Over here in North Dakota we've got 2 championship calibur courses that come to mind, both of them designed by Darrell Nodland. Patterson Lake DGC in Dickinson is an 18 hole course that will kick your ass. Nodland lives in Dickinson so he is constantly changing the course, I make it out west there about twice a year and it is usually different (and harder!). It's got concrete tees and a mix of DISCatchers and Frolfware baskets. It is laid out on the north shore of Patterson lake, but is high enough above it that most of it (if any) does not flood. There are open bomber shots, tight wooded shots, elevation shots, and a few mandos thrown in for good measure.

There is also the Jamestown Reservoir DGC in Jamestown (us locals just refer to it as The Island). In my opinion this is the harder of the 2, but Darrell disagrees with me (he is a 1034 rated player though...so his opinion may carry a little more weight than mine). It is a 27 hole course with concrete tees and DISCatcher baskets. Holes 1-10 are on the island, hole 11 is a throw from the island to the mainland, holes 12-20 are on the mainland, hole 21 is a throw from the mainland back to the island, and 22-27 are on the island. There are 2 pins positions for nearly every hole out there. There are a few birdie opts here but elevation and trees are in play on nearly every hole. It is on beautiful land overlooking the entire lake. Lots of legitimate par 4s and 5s. Also there is very very little traffic on the course, mostly just me and my buddies. We have another rec course in town and that's where everybody plays. If you are ever near Jamestown I highly recommend it, however holes 13-20 can be somewhat unkept though and there can be lots of tall grass up to your knee off of the fairway. I do carry a key for the baskets with me so if anyone is ever in the area give me a shout!
Rattler - Ion
Roc
Cyclone
TD - PD - Firechicken

http://frolfware.com
beatroc
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby MikePinchico » Fri May 27, 2011 5:17 pm

All of the CA commentary is valid IMO. It is also funny when you look at a map you can see that the true north state is not represented (otherwise known as the state of Jefferson). Since this is my area I will indulge you. The Chico area is fantastic DG with Lava Creek (Paradise), Riverbend DGC (Oroville), and Peregrine Point (which is in Chico that also has the Sierra Nevada Brewery). There is also many great courses on the north coast in Mendo and even in the town of Weed (COS is the course name). These courses are no Zephyr Cove or Dela but they are great none the less. JMO
Always looking for Nukes, Gators, Leopards and Banger GT Pro
MikePinchico
Noob

Favorite Disc: Gator

Postby JHern » Tue May 31, 2011 1:33 pm

MikePinchico wrote:All of the CA commentary is valid IMO. It is also funny when you look at a map you can see that the true north state is not represented (otherwise known as the state of Jefferson). Since this is my area I will indulge you. The Chico area is fantastic DG with Lava Creek (Paradise), Riverbend DGC (Oroville), and Peregrine Point (which is in Chico that also has the Sierra Nevada Brewery). There is also many great courses on the north coast in Mendo and even in the town of Weed (COS is the course name). These courses are no Zephyr Cove or Dela but they are great none the less. JMO

Agreed. We could break California into 3 states very easily, and it would probably make sense. In my mind, the natural geography of California is already set up in three stages...Mexico border to Point Conception is Southern California. Point Conception to the Golden Gate is Central California. Golden Gate to Oregon is the real Northern California. This geography works in land just fine if you draw a line separating central and north from the Golden Gate to Tahoe (basically I-80)...this makes it so that Stockton to Grapevine is the San Joaquin River Valley (central California), and Redding to Sacramento is naturally the Sacramento River Valley (northern California). Central/South cuts in land through Grapevine and then around the southern edge of the Sierras.

Oh well, if they actually drew borders that made sense, then the US would look very different. The US would probably have stolen Baja California also from Mexico...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby mcrow » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:45 am

tgm wrote:Not having played all of the course here in MN yet (but all the metro ones), my vote would go for Blue Ribbon Pines.

I agree with this, though I have not played Giants Ridge.
mcrow
Noob

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:03 am

Nicest grooming at least...
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby mcrow » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:13 am

Chuck Kennedy wrote:Nicest grooming at least...

Which is your favorite then? Giants Ridge or another?
mcrow
Noob

Postby Chuck Kennedy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:43 pm

The topic is "best" not my favorite. I'm not sure there really is a "best" in any state because it depends on your criteria. And we have many "best" courses under different criteria. I think BRP and Bryant get best landscaping/grooming. Hyland SSA and a new course Bulldog Run might get best overall tournament sites with amenities. Giants Ridge is the best toughest course when maxed out. Best popular course might be Acorn since it has something for everyone. Best mostly flat course with dual cement tees might be Todd Park. Once Lakewood and The Valley revisions are completed, they might be the best balanced terrain, dual cement tee courses. There are too many other "best" category combinations to list. We are fortunate to have a rich variety of good courses in Minnesota with each having different strengths.
Chuck Kennedy
1000 Rated Poster

Postby speedcraz-3 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:56 am

in ohio theres some nice cources, but last month i made a trip to deis hill park dgc and it was amazing, it was in amish country, with alot of elavation changes and very challenging distance distance holes. (hole 1 is a 827 ft par 5 over a hill) definitley a destination course, anyone played it?
speedcraz-3
Noob

Favorite Disc: nuke

Postby dehaas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:09 am

roman wrote:I find that everyone's opinion of "best" varies. I prefer longer and less forgiving courses that kick my ass when I play them. So with that in mind, here are my top courses in Illinois (separated by halves because the state is damn long).

Down south: Foundation Park in Centralia, IL short tees to long pins (the 18-hole, not the 9)
North: McNaughton Park in Pekin, IL long tees

I second this, I haven't played a ton of courses in northern Illinois though. Overall I'd say Foundation Park is my favorite.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

PreviousNext

Return to Courses