Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Vi

Postby jubuttib » Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:12 am

I recall someone (maybe Blake?) saying that the farthest most people reach by _purely_ strong arming is around 350' (~106m), so you're probably doing at least something right, in addition to strong arming. =)

Do you have a video up in the video critique forum?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Smigles » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:09 pm

jubuttib wrote:I recall someone (maybe Blake?) saying that the farthest most people reach by _purely_ strong arming is around 350' (~106m), so you're probably doing at least something right, in addition to strong arming. =)

Do you have a video up in the video critique forum?

It is allready comforting to know that i must do something right :)

I have a video up in the video critique section, but it only shows me almost off screen, a buddy was taking the vid and i had no idea. But i will make him take some more videos with better position and more visibility and put em up aswell. Will probably be next week though, i have a little party on saturday ( wedding :D ).

The vid that is allready up can be found here : viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19188

( Next time i will have him stand on the other side of me, so you actualy see the arm. And closer to me. And not follow the frisbee, but stay on me with the shot. And i'll tkae a few shots and list for every one how far it went and what disc i threw... )
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby JR » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:07 am

Hals und beinbruch wenn es ist dein hochzeit!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Smigles » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:39 am

JR wrote:Hals und beinbruch wenn es ist dein hochzeit!

Hehe thanks :D Yes, it is my wedding. At least the wedding party, we have been married for a few onths allready, but my wife's family didnt find time to get together earlier. They live all over the world.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 pm

I figured something out on Monday and instantly increased my distance by 40-50 feet; this due to this video/thread and the other articles on this site. I could tell right away something was different as my discs were flying faster and flew differently...like night and day difference. I kept throwing till my fingers were too weak to hold the discs at the hit.

I was peaking at about 380'-390' with Gazelles, Eagles, and Teebs and now I'm over 400' for sure...consistently. I did have some discs that went 450' or more for sure...just a couple though. I know I have more work to do, but I'm over that 375ish plateau that Blake has talked about (at least I hope :P). Now i just need to hone in my new development and still work on my timing and footwork. The important thing is that I see a light at the end of the tunnel and I’m excited to throw D again. After throwing my arm out on Monday, I found that I have wayyy different muscles that are sore and my fingertips were a little tender. I probably threw over 100 drives once I figured it out. The biggest thing was pulling tighter to my chest. I remember reading a post about this somewhere on here about it. Something to the effect of pulling tighter will be the cause of more distance on average even if other things are off or out of sync.

I wanted to share the great news with everybody as this has been a long battle trying to move up the ranks of distance and understanding the reach back method.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby JR » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:32 am

Congratulations Sean! Many here have had similar experiences once they bring the disc in close to the right pec.

A local big arm swears by close to the left pec out at the right pec with earlier than standard DGR body rotation apparently although that is not what he said in words about the timing. Looks like that to me. He is very muscular so he may very well be achieving the goal of accelerating all the way from the earlier arm accelerating motion from the left pec and maybe he has enough power to pull it off. And too much bicep diameter to pull close to the right pec. The larger muscles can force the disc out farther and certainly will create more resistance if they are tensed up and that is easier to do while pulling in closer by the right pec. The resistance will slow down the arm and that may create an atypical starting point for the arm acceleration. If the muscles can't get looser closer to the right pec. Results vary but which muscles get tense and which shouldn't? There are some muscles that should certainly get tense in the arm at some point in the arm pull which ones and when -YMMV. That is why everyone needs to try out for themselves what gives the best D because everyone is different. That goes to show how flexibility really is an integral component of muscle performance. Not just the raw power and speed generation.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Dookville » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:13 pm

I am new back to DG after taking 15 years off and needed to start back at the basics. With the advent of YouTube in last hanful of years I was able to go on and watch guys throw the latest discs. The first person to pop up when you search disc throwing technique was Mr Beato. His explantions where so simple and straight forward, yet a bit different than I was used to thowing. I used his technique though and adapted it to my body type and ability. My return has been eased, by controlling my technique and letting the distance come over time. Thanks Master Beato
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby Sean40474 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:47 pm

maria25 wrote:Network for golf is one of the golf equipment and equipment you need when you want to have that training sessions successful golf in the golf course. The Network helps keep the ball when teeing ground and putting what you do not have to buy bullets every time they go to play golf and get lost in the course or garden. Drive line is this place you practice your golf swing and other techniques.

Chiemsee hotel

This is DISC golf, NOT ball golf Maria.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby Parks » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:36 am

Autospam bots have trouble telling the difference. Oh, well.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:15 pm

LOL, stupid spam bots.

Anybody have updates about the topic of this thread? I haven't really been able to practice since there is 12 feet of snow on ground :*(

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby mshelton » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 pm

I've started doing this drill and I really like the concept and I also think that it's started to help me be a bit more consistent in my release point.

But here's the ugly, I've been doing the first part of the drill only, disc on the right pec and 1 step ripping from there, problem is 90% of my throws are bending right. Good news is I'm amazed at the distance but almost everything bends and moves right and what doesn't usually nose dives. I know I have some OAT release problems and get some flutter, though it is a lot less in these drills.

I feel like I'm throwing on a plane (though I'm probably not) and releasing clean (though I'm probably not also).

Anyone have any recommendations for drills to help get a smooth flat release? I'd really like to fix that before I develop a harder habit to break.

Also if anyone reading this is in the Richmond, VA area and wouldn't mind meeting me and giving me some pointers, I'd gladly show my appreciation with a few rounds of beer and a burger.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby fanter » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:15 pm

Is there a recommended type of disc for drilling these techniques? It looks like maybe Dan is throwing a PD Freak in the vid but I'm not sure I'd be best off throwing a stable driver to start working on this. I was thinking I'd start with putters, since it's usually easier to achieve snap with a smaller rim. From there I was thinking I'd move to Eagles since they are my primary driver.

@mshelton- What discs are you throwing? The reason I posed the above question is because it seems plausible that starting this drill with a faster/more overstable disc MAY encourage OAT as a means of achieving a more desirable flight path with less generated power. That's just a hunch, though.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby jenb » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:40 pm

I think I finally got my coordinatioin down to do this technique, including the reach back and the x step, and I hit the course today with midrange and fairway discs. I'm bringing the disc close in sort of high on the right pec because boobies are great and all that, but they do get in the way sometimes.

Mostly, my understable discs were burning out right, and my overstable discs were hyzering out left. I think I only got about two drives that actually went straight, but my dx roc and dx leopard seemed to go about 50 feet further than I ever drove that hole with my valkyrie, back before I disced down. Based on the hole length and how close I came to driving it, I'd say the two drives were almost 300 feet.

I definitely started feeling and really hearing some loud snap for the first time. Thinking back on the drive home, it seemed to me that the snap felt like it was coming primarily off of my second and third fingers, instead of my index finger. It was those second and third fingers that were kind of stinging, but then I did wear them out doing snap drills evcery day for the past several days, and it even hurts to type with them right now, so I don't know for sure. Could snapping off of the second and ring fingers be the culprit for why I'm having these accuracy issues? Is what I'm describing a symptom of failing to snap off of the index finger? If so, what's the cure for that? Switching from strong grip to stacked fork grip?

Thanks for input.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:34 am

jenb wrote:I definitely started feeling and really hearing some loud snap for the first time.
Just FYI, "snap" doesn't refer to a sound. You can get a loud snapping sound while not generating any meaningful power, so it's pretty irrelevant. But judging by your results you're going in the right direction.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Redisculous » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Jenb, check out the middle finger drag thread if you havent already. Maybe you are clenching too hard with the wrong fingers. Try throwing with just a two finger grip to get the feel for ripping off the right finger. If you've been doing the secret technique drills, hopefully youve gotten the disc to sling around your rip finger when your wrist stops at full extension. That's what the "rip"/snap is, keeping the weight of the disc slinging around that finger, timing your arm pull and wrist extension to oppose the weight of the disc as it pivots out of your hand, that's what the new snap drills of Blakes are supposed to teach you the feel for.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

PreviousNext

Return to Technique