Distance Throwing

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Distance Throwing

Postby kachtz1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:55 pm

it has been a while since i posted on this forum, and i had a few questions about distance/wind throwing, and thought maybe i would get some imput from some experienced players.

I have been playing DGolf now for about 10 months, i enjoy doing max D throwing for fun, as my home course is boring..so i will go out in a field and throw far as i can for fun and measure haha.

i throw Right Handed
when throwing with a strong tailwind, maybe 25+ mph wind, does the speed of the wind determine how far left or high i should throw or is there an optimum line for throwing with a tailwind reguardless of the wind speed?....for example
if the wind is 15mph would i throw it the same line as i would for a 25 mph wind but maybe just higher?

i am trying to work on the long distance throws with high winds, kind of like a sky anhyzer that floats out and rides the wind...not for the purpose of playing DGolf, but just to throw far for fun, when i try to do it 95% of the time the disc stalls and goes left, 4% of the time the disc turns over and crashes, 1% of the time i actually get one to glide out, and it goes really far!

any ideas on how to be more consistant with this shot? or does it just take experience that i do not have yet.
kachtz1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Re: Distance Throwing

Postby veganray » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:58 pm

You need to make sure to come to VA States & pick the minds of legendary distance throwers such as Randy Lahm & Jack Cooksey. You might just win the distance portion of the competition, as well, and have a good shot at MTA if you practice the technique with a Fastback beforehand.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby kachtz1 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:04 pm

ya i saw Jack Cooksey at the Big D in LVegas, he throws so easy and smooth, he knows exactly how to throw the disc, and what disc to use in those winds, i am so frustrated with this wind throwing technique, it is so hard to get right, its like 1 out of every 10 throws i get to go correct. but that is better than a few months ago it was like 1 out of 25 hah
kachtz1
Noob

Postby Beetard » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:50 pm

The faster the tailwind the more overstable the disc flies, hence the fading out and going left.
Also the faster the tailwind, the faster the disc drops/the less lift it has.

Throw less stable discs higher and or with more anhyzer.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby masterbeato » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:57 pm

Beetard wrote:The faster the tailwind the more overstable the disc flies, hence the fading out and going left.
Also the faster the tailwind, the faster the disc drops/the less lift it has.

Throw less stable discs higher and or with more anhyzer.

you do realize that kachtz throws 700'

kachtz1 wrote:i am so frustrated with this wind throwing technique, it is so hard to get right, its like 1 out of every 10 throws i get to go correct. but that is better than a few months ago it was like 1 out of 25 hah

better than 1 out of 100 like me, join the club! lol

that is why i do not join distance contests, ill for sure lose. unless somehow after 2 years working on distance lines my chances improve maybe to where you are at least, it is rare i hit a good one. when i do i have no idea how i did it, so then its back to square zero haha
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Beetard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:56 pm

I know Kachtz throws 7 million' but he did say that his sky anhyzer distance shots stall and go left 95% of the time. Probably letting the disc beat in a little more or throwing DX plastic will let it fade less and ride the wind better.

Another distance option would be to get disc he finds is super-stupid flippy and throw it on a super-stupid hyzer.
Beetard
DGR Donator '08 & '09

Favorite Disc: XL

Postby zj1002 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:04 pm

I am with Dan, and I think after the collegiate distance competition in April I will be done throwing distance competitions(college record is only 463ft, well withing my range). I really have no clue what happens on the times I go past 550, it really is just about catching it right. The 360 flex/high anny shots have been adding a good 100ft to my throws now that I have some of the timing down. My best results come with a beat proline hurricane that just goes and goes and goes
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby masterbeato » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:07 pm

Blake and many other people have said to me and in my presence that anything past 575' is all luck. i agree. distance throwing is super fun and i enjoy trying to get those lines right, i just dont see the importance to compete with it although i probably should. i am more focused on other things i put as more important priorities.

all of my issues in distance has to do with sucking really bad at wide open shots. hitting 500' through tunnel shots that are restricted but can barely push 430' in the wide open. that is my issue. and my ability to aim in the woods is correct, my ability to aim out of the woods is worse than most people. if i have nothing to aim at, its impossible for me to focus on anything.

so i am constantly seeking advice for that.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby kachtz1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:07 pm

masterbeato wrote:Blake and many other people have said to me and in my presence that anything past 575' is all luck. i agree. distance throwing is super fun and i enjoy trying to get those lines right, i just dont see the importance to compete with it although i probably should. i am more focused on other things i put as more important priorities.

all of my issues in distance has to do with sucking really bad at wide open shots. hitting 500' through tunnel shots that are restricted but can barely push 430' in the wide open. that is my issue. and my ability to aim in the woods is correct, my ability to aim out of the woods is worse than most people. if i have nothing to aim at, its impossible for me to focus on anything.

so i am constantly seeking advice for that.

if your able to throw in the 500s, on open holes, you can never go wrong with a stable not so super fast disc like a Xcal or TeeRex...they are very predictable and you can hit 480-520 with them over and over throwing them flat, dont have to worry about them flipping on you! although it is temping to pull out the slighty understable disc and S shape it out there another 75' =)
kachtz1
Noob

Postby Star Shark » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:57 am

Beto: It's a tough problem. I think it centers around open shots not having alot of reference points for depth, so you can't gauge how hard to throw it. There's a course out here in Huntington Beach where 80% of the holes are wide open shots and it's very difficult to figure out the depth on them. The last time there I threw an SL on a 267' hole because I had no real concept of how far it was.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby masterbeato » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:55 pm

my longest recorded unofficial drives have been in the wide open obviously, but it takes me like 100 throws to get it right. it is a nuisance to say the least. it doesnt matter what i throw in the wide open it just doesnt cut it.

my head is not in the right place. i will figure it out soon or later. finally hit the 800+ mark this year after 10,000 million throws. my intentions to throw the disc at a desired angle or push incinerates in the wide open. me and Blake worked on this for years, which is why it is so confusing to me. worked on mental game for the past 4-5 years, and is still not where we expected it to be.

i thought learning to throw far was the hardest part in disc golf, now i am thinking the mental game is the hardest part for me these days for some reason.
My PDGA - Dan Beto

masterbeato
lol Z predator

Postby JHern » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:31 pm

kachtz1 wrote:...when throwing with a strong tailwind, maybe 25+ mph wind, does the speed of the wind determine how far left or high i should throw or is there an optimum line for throwing with a tailwind reguardless of the wind speed?....for example
if the wind is 15mph would i throw it the same line as i would for a 25 mph wind but maybe just higher?

...95% of the time the disc stalls and goes left, 4% of the time the disc turns over and crashes, 1% of the time i actually get one to glide out, and it goes really far!

any ideas on how to be more consistant with this shot? or does it just take experience that i do not have yet.

For reference, say you're throwing on the same line as in calm conditions, then you'll need to add the tail wind speed to your release speed to get similar results on an ideal line (well, plus more pure carry from the wind, of course). This is because the aerodynamic forces and torques on the disc will be exactly the same as in calm conditions if you can match the extra air speed.

But if you're already crushing it as hard as you can, then yes, you have to adjust angles, and the question is in what manner. For higher tail wind speed, you have to show more of the flight plate (underside) to the wind to help the wind take the disc and that will help to get it up to speed. For a big turnover line, with the wind directly at your back, you want the disc to have more anhyzer and nose down while climbing and give it more height at apex so that the wind has a chance to do its work. By the time the disc starts to flex out from the apex, it has to be traveling fast enough through the air in order to keep from fading out; that will allow it to settle into the glide where you get all the distance. The disc should still be turning over through the apex for this to work. If the wind hasn't had an opportunity to get the disc up to speed, then it will stall and fade out. And of course, if you over do it, then it'll turn and burn.

In general I'd say this is always a tricky shot, everything has to be just right, and the right wind gusts have to be there to work their magic. It certainly isn't a high percentage throw that you would use out on the course in competition. It reminds me of a right dogleg that I love to play with a long turnover throwing my putter, but hitting exactly the right edge is tough in the wind and the scatter from errors or perturbations in wind is large.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby limonsock » Sat May 14, 2011 9:57 am

My farthest throw ever went about 700-800' (about 400' past the basket) on an anhyzer bomb. The hole plays about 150' up to a dogleg, then turns 90 degrees to the right another 260'. I was usually throwing a high anhyzer with a beat up champ beast. There was a 30mph left-right wind (going directly at the basket) which caught my disc as soon as it went above the treeline and carried it forever.
So here's my question: when you say throw anhyzers in the wind, do you mean with such a drastic angle (90 degrees away from the hole to the left for RHBH); or was this just a freak throw because the wind didnt catch it until about 50 feet in the air after it rose above the trees?
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Postby JR » Sat May 14, 2011 1:02 pm

Any max D throw needs to turn over. Whether it starts hyzer , flat or anny isn't as important than that. That was some crazy wind push did it get lifts? Above about 40' the discs enter a windier zone where there are fewer obstacles for the wind so they'll generally push the disc farther. Height is good if the wind is able to push the disc fast enough. You can overdo the height and get almost zilch if you just throw straightish up if the wind doesn't hit the bottom of the disc right and the nose angle should favorable too.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby limonsock » Sat May 14, 2011 8:34 pm

I got tons of lift, probably over 100' at some point, ive tried to throw this same toss again but haven't had any luck (or that same wind!)
Current bag is sloppy yet fun; Judges, comet, wasp, FD's, river?, saint?, PD's, Flow, D1, Nuke, ...
limonsock
Noob

Favorite Disc: today its a comet

Next

Return to Technique