Yeti Pro Aviars

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Yeti Pro Aviars

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:55 am

These Yetis sound pretty much exactly what I'd want in a baseline putter. I'll have to get one to try out.

PS. MVP already did the slightly concave top with the first production run medium ION. The only medium ION I have that has a flat top is my brand new milky light blue.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby victorb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:11 am

I'm not even convinced that the diagram with 'hard vs soft putter make zones' is that accurate for yeti aviars. While the flight plate is grippy, the rim is very much like a good D challenger - firm, but with a bit of tackiness. I'd say that the make zone is closer to a hard plastic putter than a soft one. Over-analysis FTW.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby dgdave » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:10 pm

After some more testing, love these for driving and approaches don't like it for putting
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby cfair » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:33 pm

really? not for putting? why is that?
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby dgdave » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:41 pm

Because I like flat, stiff putters with some glide. The yeti is the complete opposite of that.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Itchy » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:42 pm

I got a couple Yetis Wednesday. I putted with both of them and two Wizards for half an hour Wednesday and Thursday each and then took one of the Yetis to the course today. In my apartment they putt pretty close to a Wizard, maybe a little bit more hyzer to them if I'm all the way down the hallway. On the course I went 8 for 9 with the Yeti and the putt I missed, I missed low and hit basket (my own fault). I never had any real challenging putts but it was pretty windy out.

That's all I have to say about that.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby inthedrift » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:04 pm

A buddy of mine playing in the Advanced division at the Memorial right now picked me up a pair upon request and I'll be giving them a run for putting when he returns with them. Can't wait.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:05 pm

Love these for approaches and if I still was digging softer putters I would be putting with these. The 168-171 ones I have are great for those little 200' shots. Not really digging the max weight ones right now b/c they are not stable enough to be my hyzer driving putter and I already have a money straight KC aviar right now. They would make good on the fly replacements if you lose your beat aviar though.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby victorb » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:59 pm

dgdave wrote:Because I like flat, stiff putters with some glide. The yeti is the complete opposite of that.

yeti glide > challenger glide

or maybe my yetis are broken
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby marmoset » Sat Mar 05, 2011 8:44 pm

I really like the stiffness of the one I got today. Stiff but a little give. The flight plate isn't too sunk. There were some at the store that were too sunk. I would be disappointed if I ordered them online and I got one of those deep-dish Yetis.

Just like people have been mentioning, my Yeti grips the chains too well. I got some unkindly spits.

FWIW I bought a mostly yellow with some orange swirls transitional disc.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Sean40474 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:58 pm

I just got my max weight yellow ones today. One of them is flat top and one is sunken in and they both feel semi rigid and slightly grippy. If I wasn't sore from snowmobiling all weekend I'd be out throwing them....I guess I'll just have to wait till after work tomorrow at the local pitch-n-putt.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Sean40474 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:50 am

I played 36 holes at my pitch-n-putt course and played almost exclusively with the YP Aviars save two holes. They seem like they'd fly like my DX AD when it gets beat a little more (red, max weight, reverse dome like yetis). They seem like they have the flight of a GL Fuse, just slower. I love how straight they are and are a little more forgiving on release issues and nose angle compared to my other BB Aviars. I was able to hyzer-flip these in the range of 270'+ and like how they finish. Everything was real gradual, slow, and very controllable. I can see this disc becoming a staple in my bag. I'll need more time with them to see how they season, but I'm favoring the disc for now. I just can't wait till it is summer so I can really rip on these. I'd really like to think that I could get these over 300' without much of a problem.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby jaydub803 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:25 pm

Well, I got two "max weight" yetis the other day. One turned out to be 174 and the other 177 on my scale. I threw the 177 in the back yard and it was just like throwing my early 12x kc pro aviars that are beat to shiz. Maybe a little less glide. I will keep using mine for "sure" putts because I love the grip, but if I hit low or high on a flat surface on a long putt the disc hits the ground on its edge and rolls a few feet nearly every time. I almost lost it down a 40 foot very shallow slope into the creek at a friends private 3 tee "course". One other thing I noticed, this disc simply has no fade if you get it off flat. It sort of reminds me of a turd slow mako.
Build a bag a day and keep the boredom at bay!
jaydub803
Noob

Favorite Disc: champion shark

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:47 pm

jaydub803 wrote:Well, I got two "max weight" yetis the other day. One turned out to be 174 and the other 177 on my scale. I threw the 177 in the back yard and it was just like throwing my early 12x kc pro aviars that are beat to shiz. Maybe a little less glide. I will keep using mine for "sure" putts because I love the grip, but if I hit low or high on a flat surface on a long putt the disc hits the ground on its edge and rolls a few feet nearly every time. I almost lost it down a 40 foot very shallow slope into the creek at a friends private 3 tee "course". One other thing I noticed, this disc simply has no fade if you get it off flat. It sort of reminds me of a turd slow mako.

I hear you about the fade, I played another 18 hole round today in some mild wind. Some holes weren't all that windy because of tree protection and elevation differences. I do notice that you have to put some hyzer if you want any chance of them fading back as they're pretty straight. I'm still digging the disc and giving it a fair shot as I continue to throw with them more often than all my other discs. It was interesting trying to figure out nose and hyzer angles along with height in the wind today.

Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Postby BLURR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 am

Just bought 2 for putting and 1 to try out for driving. I am a big Challenger fan, so I am interested to see if these can replace my 4 year old Challengers for my primary putting duties.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment