Rip point

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Rip point

Postby JacksWeather » Tue Sep 14, 2004 10:01 am

So I'm working on my grip, and the one thing that seems to be eluding is how to properly grip the disc with the rip figner. How important is it that the index finger is 90 degrees to the rim of the disc with the power grip? What I really want to ask people is if they could try and explain what it feels like to have the disc go off your rip finger and our of your hand. Do you feel the rip finger unbend? Is there a pinching feeling in the tips of your fingers? Or is there force at some other point on the fingers or hands as the disc comes out? I've read the grip instructional article and I'm just looking for alittle more info on the feel of the rip finger/rip point.
JacksWeather
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:55 pm

as for the index being 90 degrees... that's not mandatory... but what you don't want is to have it at say an angle of 30 degrees and have the disc slide out instead of rip.

as for what the rip feels like, you feel a pressure against the rip pad and then it abruptly leaves. the finger quickly bends and unbends as this happens, but this motion isn't conscious. think abut pulling on a door that is stuck. you pull as hard as you can... and it won't budge, but then all of a sudden it swings open. chances are your momentum carries you backwards with the door. that is the best analogy i can come up with...

as for this feel, take the disc with just your rip point and thumb pinching the disc. then take your other hand (this grip must be stronger than your rip in this test) and pull your hands apart until the disc rips out. this should simulate the feel of the rip.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

About the rip point

Postby wesk711 » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:42 am

At the time of the rip point are you suppose to straiten your fingers out to release the disc? or should you still be firmly gripping the disc with it still being able to rip out of your grip?
wesk711
Noob

Postby Blake_T » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:46 am

firm grip. when you feel the disc tearing out is when grip should be the tightest.

the only time you should "let go" of a disc is during finesse upshots, putts, etc.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Return to Technique