Price of oil.

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Price of oil.

Postby vtbuzzz » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:00 pm

Any thoughts on whether or not the increasingly high price per barrel is going to affect our addictions cost? I think its only time we are going to see the cost per disc start to creep up. Thought this could be a good discussion. It already affects my ability to play and drive to the course.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Price of oil.

Postby Hoey » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:58 pm

yeah... a bunch of manufacturers upped their prices this year. suhcks.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby Leopard » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:42 pm

Hoey wrote:yeah... a bunch of manufacturers upped their prices this year. suhcks.

Hoey wrote:yeah... a bunch of shippers upped their prices this year. suhcks.

Hoey wrote:also... a bunch of ... meaning all

triplicated that for ya
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby jubuttib » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:37 pm

How much is a gallon of gas over there nowadays? Is it already half the price we've got?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Leopard » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:01 pm

i'm payin at least 3 chickens and a coon pelt nowdays
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Working Stiff » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:44 pm

The price of oil probably will drive disc prices up a bit. Realistically I have some room for disc prices to move up before I freak out. Disc golf is still very cheap comparatively.

Increased gas prices are going to take money out of my disposable income and shift it to transportation and utilities. Rising oil cost will keep the economy in the dumper, so my employer will keep the wage freeze we have had in place for the last three years and I won't make any more money to offset the lost disposable income. Because of that, I'm probably going to lose my ability to buy very many discs no matter what they cost.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:33 pm

My Gti usually costs about $40 to fill up. The other day it was $50. I do fill up with 93 tho because I have some tuning done to my turbo and pumping 50hp/100ft/lbs more so I don't wanna skimp out on low octane fuel.

The jump has made me get serious about getting a bike tho. I'm currently in the market for an early 2000~ish Honda Shadow. Always wanted a bike and now I've decided to take the plunge.
Gas prices suck because they affect damn near everything. Food goes up, goods go up. I normally don't buy something unless it's got free shipping. It's made me less prone to travel to tournaments. I dont really do much traveling any more, but this has made me pretty much only attend local tourneys and ones in Baton Rouge (1 hours drive). Things that are further than that I just opt to stay home and catch up on other projects.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Flat Top Roc

Postby jubuttib » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:22 am

I really can understand worrying about the price of oil where disc prices are concerned, but until gas prices hit $8/gallon... Yeah.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Jsw » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:41 am

AciDBatH666 wrote:My Gti usually costs about $40 to fill up. The other day it was $50. I do fill up with 93 tho because I have some tuning done to my turbo and pumping 50hp/100ft/lbs more so I don't wanna skimp out on low octane fuel.

The jump has made me get serious about getting a bike tho. I'm currently in the market for an early 2000~ish Honda Shadow. Always wanted a bike and now I've decided to take the plunge.
Gas prices suck because they affect damn near everything. Food goes up, goods go up. I normally don't buy something unless it's got free shipping. It's made me less prone to travel to tournaments. I dont really do much traveling any more, but this has made me pretty much only attend local tourneys and ones in Baton Rouge (1 hours drive). Things that are further than that I just opt to stay home and catch up on other projects.

One thing to consider is how much the initial cost of a motorcycle is going to hit you for, compared to the amount of savings. If you spend 5 grand on a bike, it's going to take you a long time for it to "pay for itself" with gas savings compared to just being a little less heavy-footed on the GTi(which don't get terrible gas mileage, i'm a VW guy :D ). That 5 thousand dollars would have still bought you a LOT of gas. Add in the costs of insurance(Bike insurance can be anywhere from cheap to obscene), a nice helmet($200+), as well as upkeep, and owning a motorcycle isn't all it's cracked up to be in regards to saving money.

I crunched the numbers back when gas prices went soaring a few years ago, and you would be surprised how little of a difference it made. The best option I found was either a "vintage" japaneese cruiser(can be found for less than 2 grand, and are more gas efficient and reliable than their American/British counterparts). Or a the newest generation of Kawasaki's Ninja 250r, which can be had used for like $3,500 and get 80 miles per gallon easily.

There are plenty of other variables to consider, like how much riding weather you're going to be able to take advantage of as well(I see you're in Southern Louisiana , so no problem there), and the general risk of riding(mess yourself on a bike and hello 10-year hospital bills).

Just some things to consider, since I know people who use gas prices as an excuse to go out and buy a 15k Harley Davidson that gets like 45mpg on a good day and costs as much as a car to upkeep :roll: . But hey - if you want to use gas prices as an excuse to get a motorcycle than I'm all for it - I just bought one because I wanted one 8) . But if you are doing it from solely an economical stand point, unless you do it strategically, you wont see savings to your bottom line.

Just my humble opinion, though.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby AciDBatH666 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:29 am

Well the bikes I'm looking at arent more than 3 grand. I've actually found one that's down to $1300 because it won't start. A buddy of mine and I are going look at it today. We think it might need a new starter and possibly just need the carbs cleaned. Gonna try to talk the guy down to a grand and spend less than 600-1000 getting it tuned up at a dealer. So I should have a good bike for under 2 k.

I already have a helmet for when I autocross my car. The Gti gets 20mpg in nor
Al traffic, and I baby it pretty often. It rarely get hammer to the floor for more than a few seconds. Average mpg so far on the computer's saved data is 22. When there's no traffic and I don't get many lights it can get up to 25.

Insurance on the bike will run about $160 a year. So all in all, if I ride it to work just 3 times a week, I can extend the gas usage on my car from 7 days to almost 14 since I'd prolly use it to cruise on the weekends too.
It's not really an excuse to get a bike but it's one of the factors. I've wanted a bike for years and was about to get a sport bike, but decided a cruiser would probably be more of a fun experience and I wouldn't have to go so fast to enjoy myself (let alone get myself killed from zipping around)
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jsw » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:41 am

Right on, you seem to have your head on your shoulders about it. Just food for thought really.
Jsw

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:48 pm

There is no oil shortage.. We are awash in oil. Its Wall Street and London speculators driving up the prices using computer programs. Same as three years ago... Same thing...
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:16 pm

just gonna move this to off-topic b/c this is gonna totally derail into dumbness.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby AciDBatH666 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:00 am

My gf commented last night when we were eating "it cost me $40 to fill up my car today. That's ridiculous!"
She drives a Honda Civic. LOL. That's what I was paying for Premium.
Told her I had the same thought last week and decided to bite at a bike that I was eyeballing.
Going see the guy tomorrow. Got me a small loan to pay for the bike and a couple of fixes to it since it's not running. A couple of mechanic friends think it could be as simple as a new kill switch or the starter. Either way, I'll have a bike for less than 2K. I'm hoping I ride it a lot, I've been dying to get it and start blacking it out with some custom paint in my off time.
AciDBatH666
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jsw » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:51 am

AciDBatH666 wrote:My gf commented last night when we were eating "it cost me $40 to fill up my car today. That's ridiculous!"
She drives a Honda Civic. LOL. That's what I was paying for Premium.
Told her I had the same thought last week and decided to bite at a bike that I was eyeballing.
Going see the guy tomorrow. Got me a small loan to pay for the bike and a couple of fixes to it since it's not running. A couple of mechanic friends think it could be as simple as a new kill switch or the starter. Either way, I'll have a bike for less than 2K. I'm hoping I ride it a lot, I've been dying to get it and start blacking it out with some custom paint in my off time.

Awesome.

Spring is in the air. I might break down and get a new Ninja 250r to add to the stable, as an around-town bike. It depends on what kind of deals/financing they offer.
Jsw

Next

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.