Nikko style putting and foot faulting

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Nikko style putting and foot faulting

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:10 pm

First off, I am right handed, I am normally a spin putter and am considered a good putter. However I hate missing to the right and left and want to eliminate as much of that as I can. I was trying out different peoples styles of a push type putts and found I was the most comfortable with nikko's style.

The main problem I found is that I was foot faulting a lot. I would put my right foot behind my mark, then have a straddle type stance with my left foot more behind my right. I would then bring the disc down behind my legs like a normal straddle, but not as much as nikko does. I would kick my left leg behind my right which was giving me a good feeling putt. The problem is that sometimes I was bringing my left leg back, and was actually bringing it back too far and landing it in front of my right foot. I tried just keeping it down, but it didn't feel nearly as smooth. The other main problem I had was getting a comfortable jump putt down. It just felt awkward from that stance.

Overall I really liked this style of putting and feel with some more practice I will be even more consistant around the 30-35ft mark. If I can fix those two problems I may switch to this style of putting.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Re: Nikko style putting and foot faulting

Postby biodarwin » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:44 pm

Spin putting you miss more left/right, push putting you will miss more up and down. For this reason its bad your changing and admittedly already work putting form. Both are going to have a disadvantage.
Orc | Valkyrie | Teebird | Leopard | Buzz | Aviar
Buy/Sell/Trade??? http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16798&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a
biodarwin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc,Leopard,Teebird

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:17 pm

My friend has also said that I shouldn't change things in my putt because he thinks my putt is fine. However, I always say that there is always room for improvement, and if changing my style is a way to get some improvement I will try it. I would also much rather miss up and down than left and right. When trying this new style most of my misses were just a little low and hit the basket. That next putt is a drop in. This is much better than when I spin putt, miss 6 inches to the right of the chains and fly and roll 30 feet away for another possible miss. This especially happens with down hill putts. I will always continue to try new things to see if it improves my game. If it doesn't I will go back to my old ways.

The main thing I was worried about was the fact I was foot faulting. This is something that worries me because the last thing I want is to get a stroke for a foot fault. Watching some more videos I also noticed that avery putts like this too. He often swings his left foot behind his right. He stops and lands his left foot behind his right though. I am hoping that is something I can build on. My natural motion with this style is to bring my left foot back to its starting position, which sometimes turns into it being in front of my starting position.

I am open to suggestions from anyone that putts like either of those two players. Especially on your form for jump putts. It snowed another 2 inches last night now so it will be another couple days before I can get back out and practice without snow.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:35 am

I recently tried a Nikko style straddle putt, and it works OK for me within 20 feet. But I tend to miss low when I use it, which gets worse as I move to further distances. If I try not to miss low, I'll miss high or right. And anyways with a straddle I have to change up my form outside the circle to get anything worthwhile. But it is usually directly on the center pole line, just missing low a lot. I've recently changed to adopt a spin putt more like Nate Doss or Josh Anthon, starting the throw from my chest, and I find that to be a lot better because the motion is stronger and doesn't change as much as I go from 10 ft out to 50 ft. But it is sensitive to the location that I hit the chains: if I hit anywhere left of center the disc will bounce back and deflect left off the chains. I just need to dial in the center-right side of the target zone, and I'll be fine. A little hyzer action at the chains would also probably help.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Smigles » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:39 am

biodarwin wrote:Spin putting you miss more left/right, push putting you will miss more up and down. For this reason its bad your changing and admittedly already work putting form. Both are going to have a disadvantage.

Ask Tiger Woods about changing swing style even after he won major after major. There is always room for improving.

As for foot fouling : You gotta work on your right leg :) It has to catch all the momentum you put into the put and stop it before you fall forward. If you look at Nikko doing this style pf put, he is balanced on his right leg, and can put his left leg back down to the ground anywhere he likes.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 am

Doesn't Nikko have his left foot up front nowadays?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:54 pm

jubuttib wrote:Doesn't Nikko have his left foot up front nowadays?

I believe he does. But I have seen footage of him with right foot up front where he swings his left behind. This is more what I am doing. I also noticed avery does this is some of the footage I have seen. I actually played a round today and found circumstances where I did both. The right foot forward works better for me. I am not putting exactly like nikko, but have taken the idea of the straddle type push putt.

On a side note. My putting was not very good today. There was probably 3-4 putts I would have made in my old style but missed with the new. This doesn't worry me because I only have about 2 hours practice with the new style. What I did notice was that I really like this style of putt from the 20-35ft range. However, inside 20 it feels really awkward. I am not sure if thats the fact its new, or if its just the style. Depending on how the next month goes I may take the strategy of spin putting inside 20, and push / straddle / nikko style the putts from 20-35. Still working on a straddle push jump putt. Had a couple great looks today.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:00 pm

Jhern: I also have found that I miss low a lot. And when trying to correct it I started to miss high and right. I think that will change the more I practice it though.

Also my spin putt has always been from high stomach to chest out. I have tried the motion that both Doss and Anthon use, but it is really uncomfortable for me. Towards the end of last year I did start to work on release with some hyzer. It seemed to help me from my missing to the right, but I think that was just a mental thing. The disc generally flys the same line with a spin putt not matter what angle you putt it on, or atleast it did. The one thing I liked about spin putting is like you said I didn't really change anything from a 30ft putt to a 50ft putt except the amount of power.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:51 am

Yeah, the common knowledge is that Nate Doss putts the way he does because he came up playing DeLaveaga, which is notorious for freak roll-aways. Nate's putting style is the most likely to land flat on the ground and not roll if it misses or bounces out. I have to say, this is great course management for high topography courses. Nate and Josh are both 100% within the circle, they simply don't miss. I was astonished that Nate threw the DeLa ice bowl this year without a single bogey (58 holes!) and 29 birdies.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby CatPredator » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:01 am

What's more important than his stance is the fact that his putts never ever flutter. He has the perfect release and his disc rides on or penetrates through winds incredibly well. Nikko's putting stance varies a ton depending on what his look at the hole is like. I'd suggest balance exercises to strengthen your calves and yoga to strengthen hips if you expect to be able to control your center of gravity like he does. But again, what's more important is gaining perfect control of the attitude of your disc while it's in flight. Being able to adjust the nose/wing angle, height, and amount of spin you put on the disc without flutter is vastly more important than what your body is doing. Those are the things that keep your disc from flying past while still being able to give it a chance.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby Smigles » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:59 am

jubuttib wrote:Doesn't Nikko have his left foot up front nowadays?

HE has 3 styles, and I htink the distance decides which one he uses.

Inside 30, he just throws it in, no straddle stance, swinging his arm in front of his body kinda like a Feldberg put.

Under 50 he has the right foot at the marker

Over 50 the left foot at the marker and he kinda walks trough with his right foot.

I have watched tons of videos of him putting, that's as close a guess as I can do.
Smigles

Postby JHern » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:48 pm

It seems like being able to straddle with either left or right slightly forward gives you a lot of flexibility in playing from difficult lies. That's what I use it for now. This should give Nikko an advantage, too. But I was surprised to hear some complain that he moves his marker, moves objects in front of his marker, or does other things that are pushing the boundaries of legality, since his stance should allow him to avoid that kind of stuff. Or maybe this is just drama and typical pros bickering at one another...
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby Smigles » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:54 pm

My guess is drama :)
Smigles

Postby JHern » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:34 pm

Smigles wrote:My guess is drama :)

If so, I hope they can settle it, because it is a source of discord. But the way disc golf rules are enforced kind of encourages passive-aggressive tendencies, which are not always so good for the spirit of the game. Nikko is a great player, I'd like to see him get his wins in the most honest, hard-fought way possible. But he isn't any more infallible than most of the rest of us. I wonder what some of the touring pros would think of some of my sloppy play at times (although I don't believe I ever do anything that makes my shot easier).
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby clard » Tue May 17, 2011 10:07 am

Just to throw in my 2 cents: I started doing a nikko style putt a couple of days ago, and I have never putted so well. I felt like I had amazing control and the putter almost always came out of my hand and went exactly at the basket.

I haven't quite figured out longer putts with this style (50+ ft), but I think it will come in time. Overall, I'm really excited about it. Shaved about 3 strokes off my usual score.
clard
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Next

Return to Technique