Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:30 pm

Booter wrote:Yea mike where have u been? First ur late in kc glow aviars n now td rushs? Lol. Better late than never i guess.

I threw a red champystar one a little bit when they came out, but it was more stable, especially LSS. When I tested that it was nice out of the hand and through the middle of the flight, but if I had given it even a micro amount of hyzer, it faded pretty hard. It would also fight a slight turn. Overall I think the STD I tested, brand new, had a higher cruising speed. This made it harder to power down. Now I'm thinking that disc would have probably broken in to where my CTD is at pretty quickly.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby jubuttib » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:01 pm

I beat my red champystar against a wall for a while, nowadays it's more understable than the C-TDs, though even when new it wasn't as HSS as my stiffer yellow S-TD. The S-Lines do start out more stable but beat into perfection. I haven't used my Cs enough yet to know how they beat in, was too afraid to lose my CFR until I got the production run. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:10 pm

I just got back from the field...I was mainly throwing Vectors, but I brought my CTD and my King. They each got about a dozen throws. In all that I never hit my King right once. It seems like a decent disc, and I got some OK lines, but it never went really far. It flipped into a roller a couple of times, and I messed up a couple trying to give it more hyzer than I'm comfortable with on a full rip for a straight shot. The couple decent releases I had didn't go as far as I'd have liked as they were either too high or too low.

On the other hand, I hit the CTD right or close every time. On full power rips, with a little tailwind, this is one of the best hyzer flip max D discs I've thrown. I practice throwing a bit down hill and it really shows the height sensitivity of speed 11+ discs. The TD got huge D whether it was 10' too high or 5' too low. I had some of the longest throws I've EVER had with a 1.9cm disc tonight, and probably my longest couple of throws of the year with any disc. This is what I always wanted out of the Roadrunner, but it was just too flippy to be versatile.
discspeed

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Is it going to make the cut for the discspeed bag? What, if any, pd's will it boot?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby disc junkie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:12 pm

discspeed wrote:On the other hand, I hit the CTD right or close every time. On full power rips, with a little tailwind, this is one of the best hyzer flip max D discs I've thrown. I practice throwing a bit down hill and it really shows the height sensitivity of speed 11+ discs. The TD got huge D whether it was 10' too high or 5' too low. I had some of the longest throws I've EVER had with a 1.9cm disc tonight, and probably my longest couple of throws of the year with any disc. This is what I always wanted out of the Roadrunner, but it was just too flippy to be versatile.

The TD is the shizzle and I threw them for close to one year. However, I recommend you try a Northman, especially into a tailwind. I dont think there is a disc that will fly farther. I have had some of my longest throws ever with the Northman.

Anyway I dont want to derail the thread as its nice to see the TD finally getting some attention (Guess you should have thrown it sooner almighty discspeed).

Just wanted to throw that out there as the Northman is the disc that kicked the TD out of my bag. BUT I still have love for the Rush.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:22 pm

uNicedmeMan wrote:Is it going to make the cut for the discspeed bag? What, if any, pd's will it boot?

I could see it kicking out PPDs altogether, and taking some duties from my seasoned S PDs. I see the TD as like a PD-L.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:24 pm

disc junkie wrote:
discspeed wrote:On the other hand, I hit the CTD right or close every time. On full power rips, with a little tailwind, this is one of the best hyzer flip max D discs I've thrown. I practice throwing a bit down hill and it really shows the height sensitivity of speed 11+ discs. The TD got huge D whether it was 10' too high or 5' too low. I had some of the longest throws I've EVER had with a 1.9cm disc tonight, and probably my longest couple of throws of the year with any disc. This is what I always wanted out of the Roadrunner, but it was just too flippy to be versatile.

The TD is the shizzle and I threw them for close to one year. However, I recommend you try a Northman, especially into a tailwind. I dont think there is a disc that will fly farther. I have had some of my longest throws ever with the Northman.

Anyway I dont want to derail the thread as its nice to see the TD finally getting some attention (Guess you should have thrown it sooner almighty discspeed).

Just wanted to throw that out there as the Northman is the disc that kicked the TD out of my bag. BUT I still have love for the Rush.

I tested the Northman...Very nice disc, but it overlaps with my PDs a lot more than the TD.
discspeed

Postby Ryan C » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:01 pm

I bought 3 of the C-line TD's. I threw some of the S-lines a while ago, and thought they were quite stable. I hear that the C-Lines are a little bit less so. I think they might make a good candidate for a sort of Go-To general purpose driver. I've really been messing around with different discs for this slot. I love the Cyclone for it, but I want something just a bit faster.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby skurf » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:04 am

So it's sounding like the S and C TD are similar to the P PD? I'm a huge fan of the flight of a P PD from new to beat-in, but I can't stand the lack of durability of the P plastic. It beats in as fast as any DX that I've seen and is just not what I consider a sustainable plastic for a driver. I'd love to find a durable disc that could fill the P PD's role.

Is the TD similar in stability to a Fuse?
skurf
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby discspeed » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:06 am

skurf wrote:So it's sounding like the S and C TD are similar to the P PD? I'm a huge fan of the flight of a P PD from new to beat-in, but I can't stand the lack of durability of the P plastic. It beats in as fast as any DX that I've seen and is just not what I consider a sustainable plastic for a driver. I'd love to find a durable disc that could fill the P PD's role.

Is the TD similar in stability to a Fuse?

Despite what I said a couple posts above, I probably will keep my one stiff PPD around because it turns and holds. The TD is different from any of the PPDs...It could be used on a lot of the same shots, but that doesn't make it that similar. The TD is different from a PPD either born or beaten to the same stability (some Ps are stable as any PD, others flippy out the box) because it turns just as easy, but it always wants to come back. Despite fading late, the TD really pulls out of a turn a lot better than a PPD. The TD is also longer and generally more stable than the PPD. It is way more gyroscopic than the PPD. So in short, it is a more effortless and workable disc than the PPD. The PPD is better for no turn/no fade type shots.

The Fuse and PPD are very similar in flight line imo. The TD is more of a hold or turn just a bit and fade disc. I'd compare it to a straight flying MD2 or stable Coyote if I had to compare it to a mid.
discspeed

Postby Booter » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:58 am

Wait til u beat one in.,annys to the ground all day with no chance of coming back.$$$$$$$
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby discspeed » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:35 am

Booter wrote:Wait til u beat one in.,annys to the ground all day with no chance of coming back.$$$$$$$

Yeah, I can't wait. I already got a preview when throwing the TD full power in the field. It would hold a beautiful and crazy long power anny to the ground. I'm thinking these champs are going to beat in very slow.

Any people that like the S-TD need to try the new champs to compare. The Champs just have a perfect stability out of the box to fly straight at a variety of speeds. Anyone throw both yet?
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:05 am

My production C-TD sits right between my straight S-TD and CFR C-TD. I can rip the S-TD flat and it'll barely turn, while also fading very little, the CFR C-TD will turn and hold it to the ground, the new C-TD will turn a bit and come back at the end. On a hyzerflip line the new C-TD is about as straight as can be.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Booter » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:30 am

I havnt thrown a production ctd yet. I only have some big d cfr ones. I have an orange thats been in and out of the bag since they came out. .i already like the prod cpd so im gonna have to giv the prod ctds a try and see if theres a difference.

I lost my money beat std a few months ago and have yet to recover from it lol. Sux.
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby JimW » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:09 am

Booter wrote:I havnt thrown a production ctd yet. I only have some big d cfr ones. I have an orange thats been in and out of the bag since they came out. .i already like the prod cpd so im gonna have to giv the prod ctds a try and see if theres a difference.

I lost my money beat std a few months ago and have yet to recover from it lol. Sux.

Don't worry, if you go to the right part of town I'm sure you can pick up a well-worn STD pretty quick.
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment