best golf cities?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

best golf cities?

Postby steven » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:10 pm

a few of us travel once a year for a discgolf trip. We have hit austin tx, charlotte nc, and just recently, Kansas City, which i thought had the best courses yet. What cities should we add to the list? we need about 5-7 top-notch courses within 45 min or so of the city. Thinking about a trip in late feb. (florida or texas?), and one in late sept. (minneapolis, des moine, back to KC?). any ideas?
thanks
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

Re: best golf cities?

Postby curt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Dallas could be a good selection for the winter trip. lots of top notch courses.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby disc junkie » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:02 pm

curt wrote:Dallas could be a good selection for the winter trip. lots of top notch courses.

I agree the Dallas/Ft. Worth area has the highest quality golf in Texas hands down. If you make a trip that you wouldnt be disappointed. Especially Lester Lorch (2 courses, Beaver and Coyote) in Cedar Hill, Harry Meyers in Rockwall, Lake Lewisville, Towne Lake, Turner Park and many more.
When I'm not itchin for discin, I have the yearnin to get the plastic turnin
disc junkie
LL Buzzz J

Postby curt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:06 pm

I've never actually played there, but Mobile, AL seems to be a pretty popular place for disc golf too. It could be worth checking out.
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby steven » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:37 am

how is clearwater florida area?
steven
Tree Magnet

Postby steven » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:58 am

lemon lake?
augusta?
steven
Tree Magnet

Postby uNicedmeMan » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:45 am

Portland, OR. Milo, Pier, Horning's Hideout (3 courses) and probably more that I don't know about.

The Baltimore area ain't bad either especially if your willing to drive a little farther (1.5 hrs or so) to hit some of the northern VA and PA courses.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby discndav » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:53 pm

Des Moines,IA
Pittsburgh, PA
Lehigh Valley PA(Allentown) when Blue Mtn is open April - Oct.
discndav
Noob

Postby keltik » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:24 pm

since you have already hit Charlotte you could try the other big DG area in NC...the Triangle. the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area has a ton of courses and many of them are quite good. Courses of note are: UNC DGC, Cedar Hills, Zebulon, Middle Creek, Buckhorn, Leigh Farm. Late February in NC is usually pretty decent.

/shameless hometown plug
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Mr. Plow » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:38 am

Dallas is definitely worth checking out, but you'll be doing a lot of driving to get to all the really sweet courses down there. On top of fighting traffic, which can be horrid, you'd be hard pressed to get to some of the best courses in the time frame you mentioned even from a central location. Regardless, my advice if you disc Dallas/Ft. Worth is to stay somewhere between the two.

I've heard great things about Minneapolis, but have yet to get up there for dg. It's on my list though.

I currently live in Des Moines, and we definitely have some really nice courses. Off the top of my head there are at least 5 top notch courses you should play if you come here: Walnut Ridge, Ewing, Grandview, Big Creek, and Pickard. If you end up coming to DM send me a PM and I'd join you all for a round or two.
Destroyer/PD/TB/Roc/Aviar/VP
Mr. Plow
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby aithos » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:49 pm

If you make it to Iowa heading to the Quad Cities is worth it as well. We have a ton of courses here within close proximity and quite a
few of them are top notch. I'd personally recommend: West Lake, Camden 1 & 2, Middle and Eastern as the top 5 but that isn't to say
the other courses aren't nice too. All of the ones mentioned are within 30 min of my apt and Camden is across the river on opposite
ends of the Quad Cities from me. Like someone else mentioned feel free to msg if you make it this direction and I'd be happy to get
some people together to show you around the courses, new people always welcome here.
aithos
Noob

Postby Dookville » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:30 pm

Southern California, using Orange county as a base, has a lot of great courses near by.

La Mirada
Huntington Beach
Chavez Ridge
Sylmar
Oak Grove
Prado Regional
El Dorado

Farther North:
Lake Casitas

Farther South:
Morely Field
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby RustyP » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:58 am

Dallas / ft Worth definitely has a lot of good courses, but like Plow said, the best ones are on the outskirts of town. Also, there will be 2 new courses opening up about 1.5 hrs east of here that Houck said are his best so far...no telling how true that is until they open, but might be worth a trip if you're in the north texas area.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby steezo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:29 pm

RustyP wrote:Dallas / ft Worth definitely has a lot of good courses, but like Plow said, the best ones are on the outskirts of town. Also, there will be 2 new courses opening up about 1.5 hrs east of here that Houck said are his best so far...no telling how true that is until they open, but might be worth a trip if you're in the north texas area.

I spoke with Houck about these courses and he said they will be a lot like the ones he designed in San Saba, Tx years ago. I never played those but heard that were very nice. Strawberry fields or something like that.
The more I throw, the easier it gets-
steezo
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beef Curtain

Postby chopz33 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:18 pm

steezo wrote:
RustyP wrote:Dallas / ft Worth definitely has a lot of good courses, but like Plow said, the best ones are on the outskirts of town. Also, there will be 2 new courses opening up about 1.5 hrs east of here that Houck said are his best so far...no telling how true that is until they open, but might be worth a trip if you're in the north texas area.

I spoke with Houck about these courses and he said they will be a lot like the ones he designed in San Saba, Tx years ago. I never played those but heard that were very nice. Strawberry fields or something like that.

what cities are we talking about here?
chopz33
Noob

Next

Return to Courses