New player, go easy on me!

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: New player, go easy on me!

Postby keltik » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:40 pm

if your weight changes that drastically in that short of time you need to see a doctor.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Leopard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:56 pm

and here i thought i was gonna contribute the least to this thread ;)
keltik wrote:I think ZAM had the right idea.
dgdave wrote:Listen to ZAM.
jsun3thousand wrote:zam is already in your pants.
i post things at facebook.com/PostID
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Jak3 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:45 pm

Ill add something useful. A Better follow though and work on your pivot foot. Try to rotate on ball of your foot.

I looks like your about to break your ankle in that video.
Jak3
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby derfernerf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:57 pm

keltik wrote:if your weight changes that drastically in that short of time you need to see a doctor.

I have. September 2009 I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease.

I actually ended up going out today despite the cold/ice. I got a ESP Buzzz and a Champion Leopard. It took me about a dozen throws to be able to "correct" what I was doing wrong, but then I started getting the hang of it. I'm starting to see a S curve in my throw, which is good right? I'm hitting about 275' on a good throw, only 10 or 20 feet shorter than a normal throw, but much straighter. Hopefully I can practice some more tomorrow. I'm trying to do what the 3rd guy is told to do in the discraft clinic video, not throw upright, but put your upper body over my disc as I throw. My problem with that is I end up with a hyzer, it never seems to flatten out. I think I'm too much over the disc, so I'll try to work on it more when I can. Thoughts/opinions?

Jak3 - Can you explain what is wrong with my follow through? And pivot on the ball of my foot, as in "spin" on it?

All these things you guys are point out as wrong, I feel like I should just start over left handed or something :lol:
derfernerf
Noob

Postby Redisculous » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:23 pm

Have you read the maxing out at 300' thread and the incomplete secret technique? It's a lot of reading but you seem dedicated enough to sit through it. I promise if you take the time to do so, and actually try the drills in the secret technique thread you will see improvement.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby derfernerf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:46 pm

Actually, I just started reading it. The whole whipping arm thing...whoa...

THATS my problem! I've been using my arm 100%, I actually did a few "throws" (I didn't let go) using the method explained in that thread, and I feel like I could get WAY more power out of that style of throw. I can't wait to get out and practice it tomorrow!
derfernerf
Noob

Postby Craig Smolin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:37 am

Just to echo some of the other comments posted ... don't get too wrapped up in the minutia of getting your body parts into specific planes during the entire throwing motion. Focus your energies on learning good fundamentals ... a shortened x-step where you get your hips turned away from your target, accelerating your arm across your chest while driving your hips forward, and rotating completely through the entire motion so that your off-hand whips around on its own. Watch as many videos of the top pros as you can to see what good fundamentals look like. There are MANY different body types, and finding a motion that works for you is the most important thing. The key for me was just slowing everything down ... I see many casual players literally running up the tee pad, getting their balance completely out of whack, thinking faster equals farther. IT DOESN'T. I'm just walking up, rotating my body away from the target, and then accelerating back towards it. I'm balanced, slow and smooth, and equalling their throws with a distance driver with a putter.

I'll admit that my major technique flaw is accelerating and rotating too slowly or too quickly and not getting to where my release point should be to hit the flight line I want. But I know when I'm doing it, and how to correct it within a hole or two.

Good luck. It takes practice, but that first throw when you get the good snap is going to feel great.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby derfernerf » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:27 am

Thanks Craig. Yeah, I'm trying to get the fundamentals of the throw down, then tune it so its comfortable to me. I'm just praying for good weather so I can get out and throw some plastic!
derfernerf
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:01 am

Jak3 wrote:Try to rotate on ball of your foot.
This of course depends on the player, but most people feel that they get a faster pivot when rotating on the heel and less knee strain. Just about every long thrower I've ever seen rotates on the heel, not the ball.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby derfernerf » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:29 am

jubuttib wrote:
This of course depends on the player, but most people feel that they get a faster pivot when rotating on the heel and less knee strain. Just about every long thrower I've ever seen rotates on the heel, not the ball.

I've noticed that too, I guess it's whatever is comfortable to the thrower! As long as you get the pivot, it shouldn't really matter if its heel or toe.
derfernerf
Noob

Postby JR » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:55 pm

I've got more mileage than you so mileage may vary due to my wear and tear. I've got a busted ankle and am on sick leave after having the busted ankle swell so badly that i couldn't put much weight on the leg on Monday. I suspect it was from no speed heel pivot attempts.

I pivot on the ball of the foot and even though the results haven't been publicized for everyone the measurements of top Norwegian players confirmed that toe to heel roll then heel pivot is better than ball of the foot pivot for added power generation. I have gotten some pain in the knee but i run like mad. 2008 world champion Dave Feldberg said to me that ball of the foot pivot breaks the leg and i should stop doing that.

I tried heel pivots on Saturday last week on slippery surface with a moderate ankle brace on and i felt less resistance with the heel pivot than ball of the foot pivot. So i imagine that heel pivot is indeed easier on the body. My injury doesn't seem to like raising of the toes from the ground one bit. To bleeding internally. I'm screwed.

There is one exception where ball of the foot pivot is on average safer. I picked ball of the foot pivot because of my natural tee home course. It is so uneven and with many uphill tees that i can't raise the ball of the foot high enough (even before my ankle injury) to clear objects. That means stopping the pivot short as if being flat footed. Yeowww! Even being healthy and younger that felt bad indeed.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jak3 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:35 pm

jubuttib wrote:

I just say that because ive personally have been jamming my foot alot rotating on my heel. Been getting bad shin splints. I think its from lifting my toes and foot up when i wanna rotate on my heel. Its sore in the shoe lace area and shin..

If its not causing pain i guess do what works.

Seems like getting weight forward is easier on the balls.
Jak3
Noob

Postby Sean40474 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:49 pm

Jak3 wrote:
jubuttib wrote:

I just say that because ive personally have been jamming my foot alot rotating on my heel. Been getting bad shin splints. I think its from lifting my toes and foot up when i wanna rotate on my heel. Its sore in the shoe lace area and shin..

If its not causing pain i guess do what works.

Seems like getting weight forward is easier on the balls.

How does she respond when you tell her that? :lol:
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:51 pm

The pivot foot is something I would recommend working on. The reason I say this is that I use to not do this. I could still throw 400, but I always knew my pivot was bad. I actually think I wasn't really pivoting at all. 2 weeks ago it caught up to me. I was doing the right pec drill and the fact of not pivoting ending up spraining my knee. Now 2 weeks later I am finally able to start throwing again. The first thing I am going to do is practice pivoting on my heel. However, I know it is going to take some time to get comfortable with it.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Postby derfernerf » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:40 am

Sounds to me (for those who can relate) that pivoting in disc golf is like sliding in bowling. I'm big into bowling, I go a few times a week, I average about 190-200, and I know how important it is to slide, if you don't you risk serious knee injury. Guess I've got some work to do this week. I've already got 2 rounds planned with some friends next week. I'll probably play another round or 2 by myself. We shall see.

Thanks for all the help fellas, much appreciated!
derfernerf
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique