Conditioning for power/distance - just throw discs?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Conditioning for power/distance - just throw discs?

Postby jenb » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:24 pm

I've seen the vids recommending those stretch bands, and I've seen top pros using them to warm up before a tournament round. My question is, if given the opportunity, or as a daily regimen, is it better to use the stretch bands or to throw discs? Why or why not?

Are there other exercises that should be used to develop power that are better than throwing discs?
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Re: Conditioning for power/distance - just throw discs?

Postby JR » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:14 am

I don't haev education in training so i'd say using both is a good safety tip for not missing out on anything. Core muscles and sit ups with twisting from the hip to the side and using that resistance band for hip twists in both directions is good. Raising the arm straight up while standing on the resistance band band behind the back helps with the elbow chop. Or you could us e a light weight and supporting the arm under the elbow with the other arm.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby CatPredator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:29 am

General wisdom for athletic training goes something like: increase the overall load your muscles can handle during the early part of the off season then train them for explosive power with plyometrics and speed work during the latter part of the off season. This stuff can be done with medicine balls, bands, weights, calisthenics, aerobics, swimming, yoga, etc.

Almost any kind of exercise other than raw strength training will help you with your performance, stamina, focus, and energy on the course. The worst thing you can do is rely exclusively on disc golf for your training. Throwing is a very one-sided repetitive stressful motion, particularly if you are throwing with bad form. It's important to stay balanced with your approach to fitness if you are going to play a lot of disc.

Once you're actively playing disc [or pitching, passing, hitting, jumping, w/e kind of athlete you are] you are basically just looking to maintain and stay healthy.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby masterbeato » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:08 pm

i highly recommend strength training that deals with working out your twitch muscle fibers (fast twitch or slow twitch - whatever you have).
My PDGA - Dan Beto

Frank Delicious wrote:and now we know the secret to your power. You are more machine than bear!
masterbeato
lol Z predator

Favorite Disc: Pro D X2

Postby Ironhide » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:40 am

jenb wrote:I've seen the vids recommending those stretch bands, and I've seen top pros using them to warm up before a tournament round. My question is, if given the opportunity, or as a daily regimen, is it better to use the stretch bands or to throw discs? Why or why not?

Are there other exercises that should be used to develop power that are better than throwing discs?

Like others said, early on (pre-seaon or a month or two into the season) you want to exercise using resistance. Resistance can be a wide variety of 'stuff' dumbbells, sandbags, resistance tubing, etc... The primary reason why you don't want to lift 'in-season' is to avoid over-training. If you play often you're going to get sore and you need time to recover. Now if you add lifting on top of that, it requires even more time to recover. Ideally after you get done resistance training, that's when you go into form training. Now don't get me wrong, you can still exercise/train while in season, just not at the intensity you could train at.
My Bag: DX - Aviar Putter - 170g & 175g | DX - Shark - 168g | DX - Roc - 168g & 175g | Pro-D Buzz - 170g | Champion - Leopard - 171g | Star - Teebird(TL) - 171g | DX/Star - Sidewinder - 168g/171g | DX - Beast - 170g
Ironhide
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc & Shark

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury