Cell Phones

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Cell Phones

Postby jaboc83 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:52 am

Rule 802.04 Artificial Devices -
"... The use of devices which assist in determining distances over 10 meters , such as range finders and GPS devices are prohibited."

Since you can use GPS on most smart phones today are they completely illegal to have in tournament play, or only if you use the GPS? I use my phone for tracking my stats and other various things, but don't use the GPS on it and was wondering if that would still be ok in a tournament to fill in that data during some downtime, or can you just not have them with you?

Sorry if this has already been asked, but I didn't find anything in the search.
jaboc83
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Cell Phones

Postby pointdisc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:02 am

Score keeping & general whatever on phone = OK. GPS use on phone to determine distance greater than 10 meter = not ok.

Though it specifically lists "ranger finders and GPS devices", it is not limited to only those items. It would be any device used to measure the distance, they were just giving some examples.
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby jaboc83 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:13 pm

pointdisc wrote:Score keeping & general whatever on phone = OK. GPS use on phone to determine distance greater than 10 meter = not ok.

Though it specifically lists "ranger finders and GPS devices", it is not limited to only those items. It would be any device used to measure the distance, they were just giving some examples.

So you are saying that even though it's a GPS device, so long as you don't use the GPS it's ok to have on the course and use for other things?
jaboc83
Noob

Postby pointdisc » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:13 pm

Yes
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby jaboc83 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:34 pm

pointdisc wrote:Yes

Great! Thanks for the clarification.
jaboc83
Noob

Postby isobar » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:18 am

I would guess using a cell phone to estimate distance would probably have a larger margin of error then guessing. I know my HTC Evo is only accurate to about 50-100 feet here in metro detroit, so I would never trust it to tell me distances. Not really an answer to your question, but someone else already did that.
isobar
Noob

Favorite Disc: Surge

Postby jaboc83 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:25 am

Agreed. GPS on my captivate is pretty questionable. I use a laser range finder for distance measurement which is great.
jaboc83
Noob

Postby veganray » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:26 am

I think in your zeal to justify carrying your beloved smartphone in a tournament, you are conveniently overlooking the "sanction" portion of the rule (802.04B):
B. A player shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if, during any portion of a round, he or she is observed by two players or an official to be using or carrying an artificial device that is determined by the director to violate section 802.04A.

Even a semi-fluent reader will interpret that section to prohibit the carrying of a cell phone if it is able to "assist in determining distances over 10 meters".

Sorry, gadgetheads.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Smigles » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:56 pm

veganray wrote:Even a semi-fluent reader will interpret that section to prohibit the carrying of a cell phone if it is able to "assist in determining distances over 10 meters".

Sorry, gadgetheads.

The rule says "the device which assists", not "which is able to assist". As long as you dont use the functionality, you dont break a rule.

Speaking of semi-fluent readers, eh ? :lol:
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby veganray » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:05 pm

using or carrying

QED
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Smigles » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:31 pm

Does not change my point.

As long as you dont use it, it does not assist you in measuring distances over 10 meters. It would be able to, but it does not.

QED
Smigles

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:07 pm

This is another example of reading a rule to it's absolute strictest interpretation even if the conclusion is silly. How accurate is the gps in determining distances? Is it even accurate to within 10 meter? I can hold a pencil up and, probably, more accurately judge the distance by seeing how large the basket appears in relation to the pencil at arms length. Are we not allowed to carry pencils? I can do the same thing with my thumb do I have to amputate? Any gps sytem requires you to walk the distance to determine how far you went. You could then just count your paces and measure the distance that way. Here's a challenge VR you try and come up with something that you could carry on a disc golf round that I can't come up with a way it could potentially be used to "assist" in measuring distances. Sometimes it makes a lot more sense to read the rule and come up with a "reasonable" interpretation than to take it to it's literal extreme.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby mark12b » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:15 pm

Note that in any case: (a) the TD has to rule that the device is in violation, and (b) that at least two players have to observe the device during the round. If the TD is cool with you carrying it, you're fine. If it stays in the bag during the round, you're fine.
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Smigles » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:24 pm

MIdiscgolfer wrote:Here's a challenge VR you try and come up with something that you could carry on a disc golf round that I can't come up with a way it could potentially be used to "assist" in measuring distances. Sometimes it makes a lot more sense to read the rule and come up with a "reasonable" interpretation than to take it to it's literal extreme.

I think the distance difference i get between putters, midranges and drivers is more accurate distance measurement than a gps :D
Smigles

Return to Rules Discussion