1.6 question

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

1.6 question

Postby jenb » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:37 am

Why does 1.6 require segregation of pros from amateurs and divisions? I mean, sometimes there aren't enough pro ladies to fill a group or advanced amateur ladies, and I noticed that the advance and open ladies did get grouped together at a recent tournament, but that would seem to be against the rules. And how does it make sense to segregate pros from amateurs when amateurs play in open division?

Also, as an Intermediate/Rec player, I would very much like to be in a group positioned directly behind the pro women so I can see them play, but we alwyas get stuck on the other side of the course or a different course if there are multiple courses in the tournament. What's the reasoning behind the segregation policy? Is it intended to speed pace of play for the more skilled players?

Also, in part F, there is a rule about using a sectioning procedure to detemrine advancement, and scores not being carried forward. Is that something that would only be applied in reduction of field size from round to round? If so, I think I understand it, but if not, what does it mean?
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Re: 1.6 question

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:19 am

A. Professional and Amateur players should not be grouped together, and players competing in different divisions should be segregated from each other during play as much as practicable.

Where are you getting required? I see "should" and "as much as practicable"

I think the reason behind the policy is that players should be grouped with the other players they are competing with as much as possible. I can think of several reasons:
1) Competitors will have a better idea where they stand in their division.
2) A lot of players feel they don't play as well when paired with people of lesser ability.
3) It makes it easier for the TD to add up scores when all the scores on a card are from the same division.
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:56 pm

I was grouped with pros before in a tourney as an Adv and Int player.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Sean40474 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:02 pm

MIdiscgolfer wrote:A. Professional and Amateur players should not be grouped together, and players competing in different divisions should be segregated from each other during play as much as practicable.

Where are you getting required? I see "should" and "as much as practicable"

I think the reason behind the policy is that players should be grouped with the other players they are competing with as much as possible. I can think of several reasons:
1) Competitors will have a better idea where they stand in their division.
2) A lot of players feel they don't play as well when paired with people of lesser ability.
3) It makes it easier for the TD to add up scores when all the scores on a card are from the same division.

I've heard this one more than once and I feel the same way honestly. I tend to play better or play the level of my competition as my focus is totally different.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Return to Rules Discussion