The House of Pain

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The House of Pain

Postby rooneytunes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:58 am

The only difference between my 166 and 176 opto's is that the flight plate on the 166 has more give or is less rigid. For me, they fly the same.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: DFW

Re: The House of Pain

Postby turso » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:10 am

Interesting, I thought they might be less overstablde. I trie an opto one in 170g and it was considerably straighter and less fady than my 178g GLs.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.


NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: Finland, Kuopio
Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Re: The House of Pain

Postby rooneytunes » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:33 pm

FWIW, the plh's and domes are the same for the two 176's and the two 166's I have. I would imagine there will be some variation like with most Lat discs, but I was actually disappointed that the lighter weights weren't straighter/longer. I felt a 176 GL the other day at the store that felt so much more grippy than my optos. I'm kind of frustrated that I got 4 optos without trying a GL. Oh well.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 654
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:05 pm
Location: DFW

Re: The House of Pain

Postby turso » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:01 pm

Hehe, my GLs aren't flippy at all. They're at least as stable as the stablest Vector I've tried.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.


NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: Finland, Kuopio
Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Re: The House of Pain

Postby jimbosprint » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:42 am

I have a 177 GL and it isn't as stable as I expected. Awesome plastic and nice predictable fade, but not stable enough in wind.
JIM'S DISC GOLF PAGE
NUKE - FIREBIRD - STALKER - VISION - GATOR - PAIN - BUZZZ - ION - WIZARD
BLACK BUTTE LAKE, LAVA CREEK, PEREGRINE POINT, RIVERBEND PARK
jimbosprint
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:45 pm
Location: Chico, California
Favorite Disc: Stalker Elite Z

Re: The House of Pain

Postby discspeed » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:28 am

I've now tested 2 GLs (mauve/teal) and a merlot Opto...All were 177-178. I used to throw a lot of Champ Sharks, and the Pain really reminded me of those. Very nicely overstable, yet nothing about the flight is harsh. None of the 3 were as HSS or LSS as any of the 15 or so Vectors I've thrown. The Vectors seem faster and fade earlier and harder. The Pains were much straighter overall and more affected by the wind. On full power throws all of the Pains I threw had a touch of -HSS.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: The House of Pain

Postby what'shisname » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:19 am

discspeed wrote:I've now tested 2 GLs (mauve/teal) and a merlot Opto...All were 177-178. I used to throw a lot of Champ Sharks, and the Pain really reminded me of those. Very nicely overstable, yet nothing about the flight is harsh. None of the 3 were as HSS or LSS as any of the 15 or so Vectors I've thrown. The Vectors seem faster and fade earlier and harder. The Pains were much straighter overall and more affected by the wind. On full power throws all of the Pains I threw had a touch of -HSS.



I found just the opposite last night in my field work with the vectors and pains. I had a much easier time placing my shots with the pains than the vectors in the wind. Mind you it was my first real time with the vectors so I'll have to give them some more work to see which ends up with the spot in the bag. But for now the Pains definitely have it over the Vectors.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1364
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:34 am
Location: Calgary
Favorite Disc: PD

Re: The House of Pain

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:27 am

what'shisname wrote:
discspeed wrote:I've now tested 2 GLs (mauve/teal) and a merlot Opto...All were 177-178. I used to throw a lot of Champ Sharks, and the Pain really reminded me of those. Very nicely overstable, yet nothing about the flight is harsh. None of the 3 were as HSS or LSS as any of the 15 or so Vectors I've thrown. The Vectors seem faster and fade earlier and harder. The Pains were much straighter overall and more affected by the wind. On full power throws all of the Pains I threw had a touch of -HSS.



I found just the opposite last night in my field work with the vectors and pains. I had a much easier time placing my shots with the pains than the vectors in the wind. Mind you it was my first real time with the vectors so I'll have to give them some more work to see which ends up with the spot in the bag. But for now the Pains definitely have it over the Vectors.


I feel the same way. The Pain is just about as overstable a disc as I really have any desire to carry. It's almost perfect for what I wanted in an "overstable mid". Seriously enjoying that addition to my bag, another Latitude home run imo.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: The House of Pain

Postby discspeed » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:48 pm

Jeronimo wrote:
what'shisname wrote:
discspeed wrote:I've now tested 2 GLs (mauve/teal) and a merlot Opto...All were 177-178. I used to throw a lot of Champ Sharks, and the Pain really reminded me of those. Very nicely overstable, yet nothing about the flight is harsh. None of the 3 were as HSS or LSS as any of the 15 or so Vectors I've thrown. The Vectors seem faster and fade earlier and harder. The Pains were much straighter overall and more affected by the wind. On full power throws all of the Pains I threw had a touch of -HSS.



I found just the opposite last night in my field work with the vectors and pains. I had a much easier time placing my shots with the pains than the vectors in the wind. Mind you it was my first real time with the vectors so I'll have to give them some more work to see which ends up with the spot in the bag. But for now the Pains definitely have it over the Vectors.


I feel the same way. The Pain is just about as overstable a disc as I really have any desire to carry. It's almost perfect for what I wanted in an "overstable mid". Seriously enjoying that addition to my bag, another Latitude home run imo.


Jeronimo---You still found the Vector to be more overstable than the Pain though, correct? I just did a FB review of the Pain for CDGS based on my throws with 2 different GLs and an Opto and I want to make sure I wasn't unlucky enough to get 3 discs that were consistently unrepresentative of the mold. I do think the Pain's out of the box stability is more useful all around than a new Vector, which is more OVERstable. By the time I get a Vector broken in to that point it will be dominating my mid shots...and I will have a new one to use for wind.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5465
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: The House of Pain

Postby turso » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:19 pm

Interesting, yet another mold with some variability =)

The two copper coloured ones I have are both identical in stability. Otherwise they're identical to the stablest vector I've thrown, but they're bit more harsher when the fade kicks in.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.


NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 1212
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: Finland, Kuopio
Favorite Disc: FR Roc3

Re: The House of Pain

Postby jubuttib » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:23 pm

Yeah, I've been throwing those and they're pretty much like what I'd imagine a less gyroscopic Vector to fly like (not as gradual in it's movements).

EDIT: The lighter Opto I threw was way less overstable.
Last edited by jubuttib on Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5447
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: The House of Pain

Postby Henri T. » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:44 pm

I have one quite domey 172g Opto Pain and without flash it has less HSS at full speed than I thougt. I think its more like -1 than 0 and the fade is still there. When there is heavy headwind I consider it a bit unpredictable when thrown flat, in my case it could turn so much that it comes down and roll. I have noticed that my Z Buzzz can be more easy to control in headwind than Pain, which is a shame. I hope that my new pink 180g C-line MD2 have more HSS than Pain....
Henri T.
Noob
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:32 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Frenzy/Flow

Re: The House of Pain

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:13 pm

discspeed wrote:Jeronimo---You still found the Vector to be more overstable than the Pain though, correct? I just did a FB review of the Pain for CDGS based on my throws with 2 different GLs and an Opto and I want to make sure I wasn't unlucky enough to get 3 discs that were consistently unrepresentative of the mold. I do think the Pain's out of the box stability is more useful all around than a new Vector, which is more OVERstable. By the time I get a Vector broken in to that point it will be dominating my mid shots...and I will have a new one to use for wind.


Yarp. You really haven't posted a review yet that I didn't agree with. Your game and my game would appear to be at similar levels (not including putting :cry: ) and I think that's the main reason why I typically agree.

As far as the Pain's go, it's way too early to tell if there are anomalies and/or oddities out there. Aside from warpage during shipping of course. We'll see what happens when they run a second batch and ship those over. The second run is usually the one that comes out funky.

Let me know if you manage to break a Vector into that point, it's going to have to take some serious damage to get there. The disc is just too well made, no jaggies, no flash, it's immaculate. I don't know what's going to wear in.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore
User avatar
 
Posts: 3611
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:27 pm
Location: Maine
Favorite Disc: Pure

Re: The House of Pain

Postby Dookville » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:16 pm

I have a 176g Pink Opto Pain that has seen about 40 rounds now. A little stability has come out of it as it has broken in, but it is still such a terrific disc. I can't believe the distance I can get out of it with accuracy. I have repalaced all but my San Marino Roc with the Pain in my bag. I can vary grip pressure with my Roc and feel a shot on approach, but with the fatter lip on the Pain I have stay locked on or it would get away from me. Loven the Pain, got my first Ace with it.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet
User avatar
 
Posts: 222
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:42 am
Favorite Disc: PAIN

Re: The House of Pain

Postby victorb » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:51 am

My wife just bought me 2 Pains - a 172 gold goldline and a 176 pink opto. Both have a pretty nice dome to them. Looking forward to throwing them soon.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster
User avatar
 
Posts: 1838
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:48 am
Location: Columbia, MO
Favorite Disc: Comet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests