Nose down question.

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Nose down question.

Postby Redisculous » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm still struggling to get the nose down after 3 full seasons of playing. I was out practicing today, trying my best to throw my discs at an incline of just a few degrees, and I did, but they continued to rise the entire way, apexing out at like 80% or further of the total distance thrown. I had two throws that I got the nose down out of about 60, and they went somewhere in the vicinity of 390'(PPD's) as far as I could estimate with google earth, which was a full 40' or more than my stall outs. Needless to say this is frustrating to me, I'd like to own that extra 40'.

Is there a "general rule" as to where the apex is on a line drive throw?
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby Star Shark » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:08 pm

Personally, I try to keep my apex below about 15' but that may just be the local courses doing that to me. I have issues with nose down also and find that I can throw my SLs about 360 whether they're 20' high or 4' high.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby Sean40474 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:27 pm

Star Shark wrote:Personally, I try to keep my apex below about 15' but that may just be the local courses doing that to me. I have issues with nose down also and find that I can throw my SLs about 360 whether they're 20' high or 4' high.

That is a little strange that you're getting the same distance with the SL like that, I've broken 400' with my Pro SLs and those were on less than a 10' line. I'm sure if I threw it higher I wouldn't be getting that kind of D.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Blake_T » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:53 pm

apex depends a lot on the speed of the disc, how fast you can throw it, what line you want to take, and how much nose down you generate.

there's a few tricky ways to push even discs like a teebird out 380'+ with less than an 8' apex, but it's one of the most difficult shots to perform.

SL's going 400' under 10' require lots of nose down.

taking a higher line is usually an anhyzer or OATed hyzer-flip s.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby Sean40474 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:17 am

Blake_T wrote:apex depends a lot on the speed of the disc, how fast you can throw it, what line you want to take, and how much nose down you generate.

there's a few tricky ways to push even discs like a teebird out 380'+ with less than an 8' apex, but it's one of the most difficult shots to perform.

I should be able to get more distance then if that is case. This is what I was doing last year before it snowed. I felt like I was on the verge of a distance break through...not sure how much it would have been, but I felt it coming. I have a feeling that I'll be making another distance jump this year. There are things that I'm doing now that I know I wasn't doing before and I'm starting to get to the point where I "feel" the shot more.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Redisculous » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:49 pm

The couple throws I got the nose down on recently rose until they hit an apex of about 12-15 feet(I'm kinda bad at judging height but the distance is accurate, i have lots of good reference points in my field + google earth) at about 65-70% the total distance, then turned over slightly, and continued to glide forward/downward fading mostly forward. They were both PPD's landing about 380-390. Is this the flight path I should be shooting for? Is the apex in the right spot as far as distance between me and where it lands?

I'm more concerned with figuring out how far away the apex should be on a mostly line drive type of shot, not how high it should be.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

Postby aDave » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I've been working on nose down for a while with little success 'til today:
I tried a 3 finger grip.
I have a stubby lil pinkie:
I just can't get the disc level with my forearm with a 4 finger grip ( fork or otherwise ).
I've been trying to do it with wrist roll late in the rip, but that seems like forcing the issue.
So I tried this:
Leading to this:
All of which resulted in significantly different flight paths than usual from all of my drivers.
I was throwing in a pretty strong constant tailwind.
For example:
On a flat release 170 Champ Wraith climbed up to about 20' turned right, flexed back and faded forward!
Over and over again! No Stall! I was hitting the woods behind the target (330 or so) so I will hold off claiming the d, but I've never had this flight with a Wraith before.
I can usually only turn it in a headwind. I can get straight flights out of it with 4 fingers, but if I ever add any height to the line it always stalls out.
175 Champ Orc was a similar experience except would sometimes not flex out of the turn.
All throws with every driver in my bag were affected in a similar manner.
mids, not so much.
I'm pretty sure that it's not OAT since I get a much cleaner release with this.
The tail wind seemed to be lifting them up when usually it beats them down, this alone shows me that I was getting good nose down on these drives.

So:
Are these flights indicative of nose down?
If so:
Do you guys think that the nose down success is worth the grip strength I'm trading off in the long run?

FYI. Taking self shots that show the grip is stupid hard.
aDave
Noob

Favorite Disc: Beat floppy aviar

Postby clard » Tue May 17, 2011 11:25 am

Blake_T wrote:apex depends a lot on the speed of the disc, how fast you can throw it, what line you want to take, and how much nose down you generate.

Just a noobish nose down question, but are you saying that nose down is more appropriate for wide rim drivers but won't work so well for things like teebirds (not to mention most midranges and putters)?
clard
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Tue May 17, 2011 12:24 pm

Wide rimmed drivers are hurt more by not being nose down.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Technique