beadless vs beaded

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

beadless vs beaded

Postby Smyith » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:30 pm

i was wondering if beadless or beaded putters are better in the wind. it seems like the bead might manify the effect of wind on the disc. for me it seems that my dx avairs putt better in really windy conditions then my wizards. i guess i mean more that the avairs seem to hold their line a little better.
OrionLF-Vulcan-Destroyer-Leopard-Ontario-Rancho-Rhyno-Aviar
***Always looking for 1.1 Sirius Orion LFs (SOLF)-will pay $$$ or trade***
Need Air/Water filters or HVAC service/supply?
ApprovedComfort.com - Servicing the Greater Chicagoland Area and more
AllKindsofFilters.com - Use code 'discgolf' to receive a special discount
Smyith
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:39 pm

generally adding a bead to a disc makes them more stable which would keep the disc from turning over which helps the additional lift you often get into the wind. They will fade off their line more than a disc without the bead though.

The wizard idealy should fly a bit better into the wind than an dx avair.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby LastBoyScout » Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:41 pm

actually the opposite is true. The Bead does create lift, but that added lift provides a negative effect for your putting game when it is windy from a strickly aerodynamic point of view.

This is why your most wind resistant putters and approach discs do not have a bead
Example: Innova: Rhyno's, Bulldog's
LastBoyScout

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Mar 10, 2006 7:30 pm

im thinking of more an approach or a drive with a putter than a putt. I still find wizards and bangers and avair-x's to fly more true into the wind than a avair p&a
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby LastBoyScout » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:27 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:im thinking of more an approach or a drive with a putter than a putt. I still find wizards and bangers and avair-x's to fly more true into the wind than a avair p&a

true because they are slightly more overstable.

If you want something, Putter wise, use a bulldog. That thing would cut on me more that I ever would expect, even in wind.
LastBoyScout

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:22 am

i may try that sometime, although my banger has been holding up pretty well. Have you used one before? Its got a wizards stability with about the profile of the avair p&a (still has a bead though :-\)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby LastBoyScout » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:34 pm

I have tried just about every disc that the market offers within reason. We have a pretty cool guy who sells discs cheap at a local park before and after a mini tournament that is held every saturday. He lets us try before we buy, unless we hit a tree and then its ours...

I really only like the innova line with the exception of the discraft buzz. With innova coyote being released, im still unsure, as I would love to have a bag with all one manufacturer. I can do the same things with the buzz and coyote, but the coyote seems to have just barely more understability than i want.
LastBoyScout

Return to Equipment